Crappie at MDC Lakes

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by briank, Apr 22, 2006.

1. briank

briank New Member

State:
    Pacific, Missouri
    Just wanted to let everyone know that the wife and I fished 3 MDC lakes in Missouri for Crappie the last two weekends. We fished "Simpson Lake" in Valley Park, "Port Hudson Lake" in Port Hudson and then "Ben Branch Lake near Linn Missouri.

We used live minnows (medium) as well as every color jig in the book. We caught 3 crappie at "Simpson" and 1 crappie at "Ben Branch" and the big "Zilch" Notta Zip Zero" at Port Hudson. Everyone we talked to on the water at each lake said nobody has caught crappie in the last couple weeks. Is it possible the spawn ended a few weeks ago - or possible that it's just getting ready to start?

Anyone you talk to who is fishing LOZ or Mark Twain have been slaying them. Fill their limit in a couple hours easy.

We tried every depth from 6" TO 15 FEET for the fish.

Anyone fish the smaller MDC lakes with any luck? All these lake we fished are under 100 acres.

Okay - enough ranting.

BK

2. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never fished the conservation lakes, Brian. Don't know if their spawn is the same as the big reservoirs. Doubt it though. Lake of the Ozarks is getting hot. Lot of crappie caught from the bank below Truman Dam. Truman crappie are getting ready to spawn, if they don't keep dropping the lake. My wife and I caught 22 today. (Actually we caught about 30, but some were not worth cleaning).

3. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey! It was her birthday Friday. I had to have her permission to go Sat. I gave her the obligatory invite Friday, and she acceped. It was almost a disaster. I had her down 12 to 4. It took a lot of effort to keep her fishing for a full 4 hours. And a lot of work to get her up to the final score of 13 to 9. AND - she's 100 times better looking than you anyway.:p

On a serious note, Crappie and cats are hitting up here. Any chance you can get away during the week?

4. briank

briank New Member

State:
    Pacific, Missouri
    Larry, would you think the MDC small lakes would warm up quicker ... so the spawn too would be equal to or sooner than the large reservoirs? I'm going to have to look into that.

On another note: The wife and I hit the Meramec river today and caught 8 or 9 crappie, 4 perch and 1 channel cat. Much more productive than the lil' lakes we tried out. Depth finder said the water was 68 F.

We caught several more crappie - but much too small to clean. The crappie I did clean had eggs in them and they were not developed very well. Channel cat had eggs too!

Wonder when the spawn will be on the Meramec? Anyone else fish the river for paper mouths?

BrianK

5. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd say you're right about those smaller lakes warming up faster. Spawn on them should be under way or over. Congrats on the river trip! I've never fished for crappie in the river like that. I always tried for bass and cats in the rivers. Never even considered crappie. Didn't know they would even hang out in that environment. If the water temp there is 68, I bet the spawn's on!