crappie as bait

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by whitney weese, Feb 22, 2008.

1. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i have posted this on the river talk as well and have posted it here in case i have missed any one.
    I'm looking for where it is said that we can use crappie as fishing bait for Flatheads. i have read the regs and cant find it any where and even close.I know there has to be something there. around here trout is the main bait used by striper guides. so if thy can use a game fish. then i can use a game fish. just want to see it in writing.i would like to know if i can even buy them off to the fish truck that comes around once a month. for stocking ponds. if i can get them off of him and use them legally. then i can pick the size of bait that is best for the fishing that I'm wanting to do.

2. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    u have to take the fish by legal means before u can use it for bait u cant buy or sale game fish for bait so if u catch it on a hook and it is of legal size and all that u may use it for bait, i catch a lot of blues on cut crappie in the winter.

3. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have been in contact with the fisheries division at porter, OK. thy confirmed it and warden Don Cole of Wagner, OK and Lt Gary Wilcox of Muskogee, OK also confirmed it. You can use crappie as bait as long as you catch them with rod and reel. No cast nets or traps. But you can buy them and use them as long as you have the bill of sale on your person. while fishing.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    some people say they work I have never did any good on them

5. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i have used them in the past. but at the time thought that thy were illegal. and done quite well on them for Flatheads. 4 to 5 inches long. around here its one of there main sources of food in the small impoundments. you can catch fish on a larger lakes and rivers. but try them on a smaller lake and back streams and see what happens