Crappie are eluding me

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Bushwhacker, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have tried jigs and minnows on the Alabama river and I have no luck, can anyone give me some new ideas!!!! I have fished all depths with both. I see other anglers reeling em in but i can't seem to attract em!!!!!

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I caught crappie last week but only a couple of dink catfish. Wish I could figure out a way to do both at the same time. LOL

3. Cornmeal and Catfish

Cornmeal and Catfish New Member

State:
    Covington, Louisiana
    Don't feel bad, this is the hardest time to catch them.

I live in Louisiana and right now the surface water temp is in the upper 80's in some spots low 90's in others.
    My friends call me the magician when I'm on the water, but I just pay attention and fish all the time! I like to fish for all types of fish, but there's no challenge like crappie fishing! I can catch crappie all day long, but I change my tactics all day long! I'll give you an example of what I do. I'm not saying that this is the only way to catch them or that you'll go out and catch them this way. I'm just explaing what works for me this time of year in my region of the country. But there are some things that will help you catch them year around and they are: a depthfinder with at least 240 vertical pixels, a built in gps or handheld gps, a rod with a fast tip, 2,4, or 6 lb test line, and the most improtant...determination and patients!

I start the day by fishing a river or canal that runs north and south.
    Night-Early morning are when the crappie are in the shallows this time of year (Summer pattern). I start by being on the water before there's any light and I'm in my spot when you can bearly see. There's no wind, the water's flat, and the crappie have been undisturbed all night long.
    I target the west side of the canal first. I look for any visable structure (rocks, boat docks, sticks, over hanging limbs, ect.) and target them first.

I use a 4'6" rod, a spring type balsa wood pencil float (important!), a 1/32oz jig head and 1.5-2" black/chartruse jig (on new water). I use this type of float because of the trick that I use. I'll get into it later.
    I start with 12-18" of line from the bottom of the float to the jig head. I cast past the structure and work the jig past the structure with a popping action. I 'll pop once, twice, or three times before a 1-2 second pause. I like to vary how many times I pop the float.
    The later it get's, the tougher the fishing will get because the sun will start to cast the boat and your shadow on the water. When this happens the east side of the canal is just right!

Now the work begins!
    This is when your casting ability will come into play. The sun will create light in the front of structure and shadows in the back of it (near the bank). The crappie will be in shadows because this water will be the last to warm.
    I pitch my jig waaaaay back into the darkest parts of the shadow and begin popping. Once two or three crappie are caught many people will cast another time or two and move on. I recast into the same spot reel in all the slack and pop the rod down real hard but sharp. This causes the flota to dive underwatr and it shoots up out of the water. The jig dives down on a diagonal then shoots up as if were running when the jig falls I get the most agressive hit!

I have to run to work...please pm me to remind me to continue if I forget!

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Id go right over and ask them but before I did Id watch thru a pair of binoc's we always have pair in boat or with us. Most people will tell ya but sometimes they wont. Good luck to you.

5. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Years ago We were shown what the locals at Reelfoot call a prospecting rig.
    Simple deal really that is more about how you can fish it than anything else.
    Tie a 1 oz weight to the bottom of the line and create a dropper 12" up and another 36" up. Minnows or Jigs work the same way just keep either small.

This rig is fished straight down and bounced litterly off the bottom for a while then a couple cranks on the reel to adjust the depth and repeated till ya locate them. Keep a marker Bouy handy.
    Most turn the boat side ways and let it drift . Snags are going to happen but most will come right off when that weight is turned loose and it falls to the bottom.

A couple guys and a couple rods rigged this way can cover a bunch of water.
    Not near the amount a Spider rig can, but most places don't allow that rig.

Good Luck and stay after them.

6. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have never heard of that rig I will def. give it a try
    Thanks again
    If I can ever learn those crappie I am gonna have a hell of a fish FRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Cornmeal and Catfish

Cornmeal and Catfish New Member

State:
    Covington, Louisiana
    Continuation:

I fish shadows from visable sturcture until about 8am. While I'm fishing the shallows the boat is in 3-5' of water. The whole time I am watching the depthfinder for unseen structure (weeds, brushpiles, ect.) and mark them on my gps. As the sun comes up the crappie will start to move deeper. I grab my slip float setup and adjust the float according to the depth of the structure. I like to place the jig right 6" above the structure on sunny days because if they are there they will be tight to the structure. While targeting the 3-5 depths I'm looking on my finder for structure in deeper water and saving points on my gps.

Once I hit the gps points in the 3-5' range I back off and target the first dropoff, then any structure I've found in deeper water. This time with a verticle presentation. I'm usually fishing 6-15' of water and can drop straight down without spooking them. I use a double jig rig when I fish 10'-15' range. Two 1/32 jigs on drop loops 18' apart. I'll use two different tube colors, then change to the same color when I find out what they want.

Oh, I have both of my finders (front and back) mounted on the front of the boat so I can see structure in deeper water while I'm fishing .