crappie and wind

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by mactheaxe, Oct 5, 2009.

1. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    so i was out on the lake today and boy was it windy. which made me think a little. here's my thought process and yall let me know if im wrong, right, or just plain missin somethin. i figure the crappie would be where the wind isnt hitting. or, in structure to hole up on the wind. am i right? would they be close to the surface with freshly oxygenated water? would they go back deep to not have to deal with any of it? would they be on the side of the lake everything is gettin blown to for food? or would they not even care? keep in mind, its cloudy, healthy lake, and windy with the water level up about 5 inches. what yall think?

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Normally from about now through November they stage and suspend between 4-9' of water. They can easily be caught with live minnows and dont be suprised if you dont get a stringer of yellow bass to go with it.:wink:

3. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Just make sure you are around STRUCTURE.

4. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    6 of these out of the marion county fish and game lake yesterday.....cold,rainy,windy and in about 4 ft of water and not around or in structure.......suspended above vegitation and with a carolina rigged 4 in rubber twisty.

Attached Files:

5. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    WTG on the crappie.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would look for them on the wind bank side. The minnows feed on the plankton this is being dislodged by the wind and the crappie will follow the minnows. The wind bank will be a good starting point and play with the depth until you get it figured out.

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    the water temp is just about right for the crappie to be on fire here. and when they turn on, i fish structure like downed trees logs and bridge piers real hard. they will hold tight in those structures reguardless of the weather

8. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Right now with water in the mid 60's where I fish , the crappie are in the 9-15 foot zone.Crappie are like all fish the gather where the bait is and also the wind is your friend because it dictates where the bait is.Most anglers try and get out of the wind but the wind blows the baitfish and the larger fish will follow.As far as structure goes that is the best place to start for crappie but you will catch the most by moving around from place to place that is why spider rigging is so productive.Good luck