Crappie and Cold Front Questions

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by fatcat_boo, Nov 13, 2008.

1. fatcat_boo

fatcat_boo New Member

State:
    Alabama
    What does a cold front do to the crappie? Or where do the crappie go when one is coming in? And the last one do they still bite?

2. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    THE CRAPPIE MOVE TO DEAPER STRUCTURE AND THEY DO BITE BITE DOWN SIZE YOUR BAIT AND SLOW THE PRESINTATION

3. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    What I do is go to the places I've caught them, and then back out into deeper water. This past week I started out on some brushpiles in 12' with no bites. Moved around them and found them by the dropoff suspended in 17-20' . They were biting VERY light, some just stopped the jig from sinking. I had to rest the rod on the side of the boat to keep the jig still enough for them to touch it. They'll bite, but sometimes it's hard to detect them. My wife was using minnows, and they wouldn't touch them.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Josh is right on with his post:smile2:

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep both are right on in my book, I also love to toss out them "ice jigs" tipped with a waxy or maggot, may need a little split shot to get to the deeper depth but it will increase you bite as a smaller offering and slower presentation....... and if ya get to many, just send a few over :wink: :smile2:

6. fatcat_boo

fatcat_boo New Member

State:
    Alabama

NP lol

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I agree with all . Crappie move away and pull out of shallow structure when a hard cold front comes in.....but I aint no expert on them .

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    All of the above is great instructions. Now load the boat up and go get them. Don't forget to give us an update.

9. fatcat_boo

fatcat_boo New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I sure will

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Up here in Kansas this time of year the crappie go deep in the lakes.You will find them anywhere from 15' to 40' deep.

Seem's like cold fronts dont effect them so much this time of yr on how or where they move.But it does affect how they bite.As mentioned the bite will get real soft at times.

Three of us went out last Fri between 11am - 3pm caught 48 crappie.It was cloudy little wind.We hit the waters on Sat and a cold front moved in that night with snow and we caught 100 in about 5 hrs.It was snowing the whole time then warmed up and turned to light rain but the crappie were biting like crazy.