Crappie after dark?

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by floundahman, May 11, 2009.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Does anyone fish for crappie after dark? I caught two one night while fishing for catfish. They hit a live shad near a lighted pier. I was wondering if the lights had something to do with it. I had never caught a crappie after dark and had certainly not fished for them intentionally at night. Was this a fluke?

2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    no crappie like all fish are attraced to areas like that because the ligh brings in the bait fish which it turn brings in the game fish we catch them round marinas after dark cuz marinas almost have light on the water some where we get walleye,saugeye,cats all game fish are attracted to the area cuz it hold bait hope this helps also id run a small crappie hook with a 2 foot leader to a slip float and fish the edge of where the light mets the dark shadowe water and hold on lotta game fish will lay where and wait for a minnow or bait fish to get to close and ambush them right where the light ends on what water( like fishing a current edge in a river system) same princable

3. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i will put my lantern at the edge of the dock to bring em in. chum it up a little also crush up some dog food and chuck it out there.

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I use crappie lights that you can buy at Walmart and I do very well catchin crappie, they really work. I doubted them before I used them but now I use them all the time.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep! they work well....... Also helps to turn them on at night under light if ya send them a "sack lunch" :wink:

6. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    we used to catch as many and sometimes more crappy fishing at night down at Pomme de terre of the boat dock with a crappie light. IF you have relatively clear water and a boat dock to fish off it is definately worth giving it a try.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    When I lived in Ohio, I usd to catch crappie all the time at La Due reseviore at night. We didnt have light in the water but we had one bright enough to light up the area. I used to use live minnows on the tip of a jig.

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I used to drift around a lake at night with a lantern hung over the side of the boat.
    It really draws the crappies in.

9. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Most of the crappies I've ever caught were caught at night. When I used to ice fish I would shine a bright flashlight down one hole then fish a hole right next to it and never had to try to find what depth they were at because they were attracted to the bright light. Otherwise you would have to fish at various depths for other fish until you found them.

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Ive found crappie to almost be a nuissance when fishing at night lol, if your not targeting them that is.

11. 350degree peanut oil

350degree peanut oil New Member

State:
    NC
    I catch most of my crappie at night. I hang a lantern off each end of the boat and a floating light in the middle. Minnows with a small split shot work good, or small jigs or Raplala ice jigs. Also catch a lot of white bass, walleye, catfish, and the occasional trout under lights.

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    We catch em on minnows under a bobber or on minnows on a carolina rig when fishing for walleyes. They bite as well at night as daytime.

13. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    as a young kid, Dad and grandpa would take me with em crappie fishin, they hung sealed car lights off the end of wooden stakes clamped to the boat, used minnows as bait and would fill 3 fish baskets per night. as soon as it got down to the depth they were at , you were reeling it back up with a fish. So, yes lights do work very well.

14. nccatgirl

nccatgirl New Member

State:
    NC
    Man I got to find some of them Crappie lights at Walmart. I'd like to give that a try... sounds like fun.

15. catdaddy64

catdaddy64 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have fished Crappie or sac-a-lait as they are called in Louisiana most of my life and being that it is extremely hot here it is more comfortable fishing at night. For instance it was over 100 degrees today and I received word that the Crappie are tearing things up in old river which is an hour and a half from here.
    In a case like this fishing at night is the only logical choice for me.

The floating lights also work extremely well down here because they do not draw mosquitoes to the boat but they do draw insects to the water where the bait fish come to dine and the crappie come to dine on the bait fish. It is like ringing a dinner bell for them.

Good luck and tight lines.

16. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Oh yeah, I love fishing at night. Drop some lights in the water and use a lantern. And I like to use small jigs. Always seems to tear them up