Cranking battery

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by fattiresc, Feb 7, 2006.

1. fattiresc

fattiresc New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    do you guys use marine deep cycle batteries or cranking car type batteries for your outboard? I know you want to use marine batteries for all your lights, radios and junk, but I was wondering about the quick draw needed to crank an outboard and if it would hurt the marine battery.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I use a marine dual purpose battery.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Should use a cranking or dual purpose battery for cranking the motor. Checkout the library.

4. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I have two deep cycle batteries for my 24 volt trolling motor, but I use an automotive battery for my cranking battery. They are cheaper than a marine cranking battery and I've never had one go bad on me.

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    A deep cycle is not made for for a sudden surge to start a motor. I use a stater bat.
    Bill

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Most battery manufacturers do make a dual purpose deep cycle type battery that serves very well as a starter battery.Like most things "Dual" they don't excell in either application.They are a combination of different type constructions and their plates are made to support surge type activities as well as some deep cycle longevity.What I didn't know until I read my owners manual is the huge amount of initial cranking amps required for the computer operated fuel injected engines such as my Optimax.Takes 1000 cranking amps to turn the 200hp.I would recommend going to websites such as TROJAN batteries or West Marine which will give detailed information on each type of battery and what they are best suited for.:)

7. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    One thousand cranking amps?
    It says that? Minimumunuimn?

That is alot of amperage,believe the battery i just put in my step van was 800 cold cranking amps and that has a 350 in it.

I would use a cranking battery solely for starting the motor and a deep cycle to run trollin motor,lights,radio,and what have ya.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Good point let me clarify,I believe it says 1000 MCAs which are always higher than CCAs.Your 800 CCA battery probably has 1000 MCAs.But in any case YES it is a lot and more and more cranking batteries are moving up in the amp ratings.I'm sure BuBBA or Bobpaul can explain it better but the new direct injection engines have computers, electronic ignition and compressors to inject the fuel air etc that requires a lot of amps to turn over.One nice thing about the Optimax 200 is it has a 60 amp alternator that keeps everything charged up.:)

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    That's interesting Jim - I've got a 1994 200hp Merc EFI (not the Optimax or DFI) and it doesn't take much to turn it over - I was absolutely amazed how easy it started with the rope... Are the Optimax's with the alternator, etc. impossible to rope start or do they not even provide that option as a backup anymore?

10. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Deep Cells work in a pinch, but wouldn't recommend for everyday use.
    Ive used my Marine batteries to start my engine when the main outboard went dead on me. Worked fine (thank goodness I didnt need to use the trolling motor that night).

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I always use a marine deep cycle dual purpose for a starter battery, and when it is 2 years old, I install it in whatever vehicle needs one, and put a new one in the boat. I have been on the river when I had a battery fail, and a storm coming on and it was a very bad experience.

12. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    If you do a litle research, you'll find, that the term "marine" basicaly means tuffer.
    As in a "marine starting" battery is designed to take the abuse more than a "car battery". I.E. Bouncing across waves,surf.)
    Now the difference;
    A starting battery delivers high amp output for a short amount of time. A "Deep-cycle delievers a low amp output for an extended period of time.
    The main difference between "marine" and "automotive" is that the marine cells are made to withstand more abuse than a "car battery". Remember, your car battery recieves the same jolts and bumbs that you do while driveing. (Your suspention system asorbs a lot where a boat has none.)

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    T,tell you the truth I don't know if it even came with a rope.I think the major difference is the air compressor on the Optimaxs.I'm sure it will turn over with less than 1000 and I don't know the minimium amps it takes.

14. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Everyone made some good points. The one thing that wasn't mentioned is what the low voltage from a deep cycle battery will do to your "Power Pack." Also D/C batteries are designed to be discharged to about 1/3 charge before recharging, alternator doesn't allow that. Some are more sensitive than others and although you have enough amperage to crank the engine the "Pack" doesn't always respond the same and starts to reprogram itself. Bad experience with this fact. I used a dual purpose battery for two months and had igniton trouble after about a week, I used it every day, the first thing to go was the starter solenoid, I could "jump" across the poles and it would start, tested solenoid, nothing wrong, after it would set overnight solenoid would work. I always disconnect my battery when I put the boat in the garage. That was the key the "pack" was resetting. There were other problems during that time and OMC decided to replace the the Power Pack, still same problem. Research Time:::::conclusion DON'T use anything except starter batteries unless it is absolutely necessary to start your engine....Several others had this problem and most of us blamed the engine manufacturer. Wrong diagnosis...it was the battery.