cranking battery problem

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kitsinni, May 8, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Last week I was drifting around the lake a few hours and was not using the motor. I had the fish finder on and the livewell was on the whole time. I had my lights that came with the boat on for about an hour and the battery didn't have the juice to start the motor.

So I have a few questions if anyone can help. Can I recharge the battery with a charger or do I need to jump it somehow? Do I need a bigger cranking battery or did I just run things to long? Should I find a way to run electric so those things don't use the cranking battery? This is an interstate battery that came with the boat new and evwrything is rigged the way it came so there is no extra pull on the battery The boat is only about three months old.

Thanks
    Niko

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If I was you I would have a deep cycle battery for all of your accessories,so you're not draining your cranking battery. If you're running your fish finder,live well,and lights for an extended period of time you need a separate battery for them.JMO

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I forgot to answer the second part of your question. You can charge your batteries with a battery charger,just make sure your battery has plenty of water in it to cover the plates before you start charging it. I use distilled water if I have to add any to mine.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think I might end up buying another deep cycle battery for the boat just to be safe. I was out there by myself at night when the thing did not start and that was not where I want to be. Thanks for the help!

5. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    i would be running the accessories off a seperate battery if i was you. you could save yourself alot of aggrivation. yesyou could use a battery charger and charge it up but one thing about that is if its a deep cycle battery you should charge it up very slowly dont use a high setting on the battery charger.

6. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    if your boat has a larger motor it may have an alternator and you can wire it to where not only will it charge your cranking batt. butt once its charged it charges your accessory batt also. you got to have an alternator for it to work though my boat has a johnson 30 hp and it dont have an alternator so it sucks.