Cranking Battery Discharging

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by COB, Jul 31, 2006.

1. COB

COB New Member

State:
    Huntsville, AL
    Triton DV186DC with (2004) 200 HPDI. With all switches off the battery will discharge in a couple of weeks. I finally got a current meter and disconnected negative leads on the following, 2 small conducter cables and the large starting cable. The 2 small ones show no current leakage, but the large one shows .4 to .5 amps. Repeated the same with positive leads disconnected. Any suggestions as to what this could be. Thanks

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I believe the power is continously on to the switch and the onboard computer as you describe it.All batteries will discharge at a rate of about 1% a day so if your battery is old or weak then it isn't holding a full charge nor accepting one.Couple this with the normal 1% and you have a problem.If your boat has a battery selection switch turn it to off,make sure the key is out of the ignition and make sure your connections arent corroded as well as the terminals.I don't know how you charge but an on board charger will key things fully charged.If that battery is more than 2 years old have it tested.:smile2:

3. COB

COB New Member

State:
    Huntsville, AL
    Everything is brand new only 4 months old. This is the second battery as they thought the first one was just bad. Ignition off and no key. The current is on the starting cables going to the motor.. I think that all the other electronics are wired through a separate wire or wires.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Do you have a battery selector switch?It might be bad is all I can think of.:angry:

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Go to yor engine and find the fuse box under the hood, Should be near or with the starting solenoid and trim and tilt relays.See how many fuses are there and pull one at a time while your checking amp draw.

Also you may have a positive lead thats pinched and draining through ground. With a meter, test with the ground lead to the negative post and the positive lead to a ground on the engine for voltage.

I once saw a mounting bolt start to glow red from the main positive lead being pinched by the washer from one of the engine mounting bolts. Just my luck to be there and catch it before the boat burned up. Rigged at the factory.

Yamaha's have a rigging hold down where all wires go into the engine. It's a hold down bracket that can pinch battery cables if rigged wrong.

6. COB

COB New Member

State:
    Huntsville, AL

Removed transom saver, lowered motor, removed cover, and got into fuse box. Was going to remove each fuse to find the culprit. Hooked up ampmeter and current was .016 amps?? Checked all fuses and couldn't isolate where even this small amount of current was going. I am puzzled where all the other previous current went. The only thing I could think of was the trim circuit. I reinstalled everthing including the transom saver and tried several different stops and loads on the trim circuit and couldn't get it to duplicate the current flow. I hate circuits that behave like this intermittent. I quit and will just see what happens. Thanks for all the help.
    Opps, just realized I didn't check for voltage from ground to motor. Do it tomorrow. It's just way to hot out in the driveway!! Also, can I live with this .016 amp draw if its not a fluke measurement or should I install a battery switch?

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You can live with that little bit of draw. That's engine computer draw.

Check it again with the engine trimmed up and then down. You might have found your problem.

To bad dealerships are more concerned with selling boats than selling boats with no problems.

If you find the problem go back and chew some ass.

8. COB

COB New Member

State:
    Huntsville, AL

Thanks, everytime I had to charge the battery on this "new boat" I wanted to chew some ass!!

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Switch Your Fluke Meter To Milliamps, On Vehicles 500 Milliamps Is All That Is Acceptabe For A Parasitic Draw.

There Is The Old Way To Determine It Also; However It Is Not As Accurate. Take A 12 Volt Test Light, Disconnect You Positive Lead From The Battery, Put The End Of The Test Light That You Would Normally Put On The Ground Side On The Pos. Terminal Of The Battery, Then Touch The "probe" End To The Pos. Cable End. If It Lights Up There Is Too much Drain & It Will Kill The Battery.

HTH, Elliot

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    One other thing I wanted to mention. Do you have an automatic bilge pump that comes on every few seconds?

11. COB

COB New Member

State:
    Huntsville, AL
    Wanted to post this in case anyone else has similar voodoo problems.

I was never able to duplicate the .5 amp drain on the battery, but I still had to keep charging the starter battery. Last time on the water I noticed that the boat would not stay on the trim that I'd set. It would return to full down. I couldn't duplicate this in the driveway.

While in "Bob's" Chew Ass mode I returned to the dealer with this new knowledge in hand. It ended up being an intermittent short in the trim/tilt motor and was repaired under warranty. I had then install a battery switch so I could eliminate any non use draw. I waited 2 weeks before I went to pick up the boat. I checked to make sure the new battery switch was in the "on" position and asked them to start the engine for me. It cranked perfect. Has worked well for since. No charge from dealer for installing the Perko switch that I provided.

Thanks to all who helped me with this.