Crankbait trolling for crappie

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Stevej, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Went to my local lake, Okatibbee, Tuesday and Thursday mornings pulling Bandit crankbaits, 200 series and 300 series. Have been doing some longline trolling for the last about 4 weeks trying to learn about it. Tuesday morning caught 20 crappie, 5 cats and 1 bass, (pix below) and today I caught 18 crappie and no other kinds.

[​IMG]

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I never heard of trolling for crappie, sounds like it would be fun. So am I invited to the fish fry?? :hungry::hungry:

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

trolling can be very productive. I am glad you had a good trip and looks like you picked up on it prety well. congrats on your fish

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Way to go, Steve! Trolling can sometimes be very effecitve - looks like you've got it down :smile2:

5. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is awesome good job on the catch. Actually ive caught 2 of my biggest crappie trolling in a small lake, with a blue storm mag wart. I dont know why the crappie think they can eat a bait that big but they bite it for sure.

6. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    So can I catch the slabs by setting out two lines, trolled off the back of the boat, slowly, 50-100 feet back? I am thinking about trying it. Cranks are the best way to do it, right?

7. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks, very helpful.

8. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Went back the morning of 7/10 and 7/11 and caught 14 crappie and 2 cats on mainly white bandits on 7/10 and this morning got 13 crappie and 1 keeper cat. Mainly on red crankbaits today. Fished from 6 to about 10 each day. I think I may need some new batteries alto I just got 2 last year, hopefully it just the way I have been charging them.

9. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    nice catch sounds like alot of fun

10. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been doing the trolling thing here on the local lake, have caught crappie every time , just not large numbers. If I could keep the little stripe and yelow bass off the lures , might be able to catch more crappie. Caught a 13lb flathead last week while trolling.

11. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Don't have stripe or yellow bass in Okatibbee, so far all I have caught on the Bandits are crappie, channel cats and bass. That flathead is the best eating to me, caught a 25lb on a crappie jig back a few months ago. Sure would like to get another.

12. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    nice catch, crappie are the only other good eating fish in my book. Catfish are #1