Crankbait info

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Scott Daw, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    In case theres a time that any of us here wet a line for "bait" instead of catfish. Does anyone here ever use the Lucky Craft live pointer or lvs crankbaits?? If you do/have, are they worth the money? Im trying to justify a $20 crankbait. I like using crankbaits for trout and now I can fish for bigger fish that I didnt grow up fishing for.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Since I lose crankbaits left and right, no artificial lure is worth $20. I might as well just throw a 20 in the lake and forget about it. My upper limit on artificial lures is about $2.50.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I grew up trolling for b@$$, and we got hung up pretty often, but we rarely lost a lure because we had a homemade 'plug knocker' (lure retreiver). To make one, you'll need a piece of 1/8" or 3/32" springy metal rod; ours was made with a bare welding rod; you'll also need a 6"-8" piece of 1/2" or 3/4" water pipe. And melted lead. First, wrap one end of the rod around the metal pipe 4 or 5 times to make a coil; the coils should be about 1/2" apart, but the distance isn't that critical. Then bend the rod so that it would be parallel to the pipe if the coils were around it. Hold the pipe up next to the rod so that the pipe is an inch or two above the coils, and mark a spot on the rod that's about an inch above the other end of the pipe. At the marked spot, bend the rod into a U shape. If necessary, cut the end of the rod off 3" or 4" above the coils. Slip the pipe over the rod and position it so that it's where you want it, with the top bend out of the pipe enough to provide a place to tie on a heavy cord. Plug the bottom of the pipe with something DRY. Fill the pipe with lead. When cool, tie on a long length of 300#-400# nylon line. We simply wrapped our line around a board for storage, but you can use your imagination here.
    When you get your lure hung up, get directly over it and run your fishing line round and round through the coil till it's free INSIDE the coil. Now let out the heavy line till it reaches the lure. Hold one line in each hand and keep a light tension on your fishing line. Raise the plug knocker with the other hand and let it drop. Just as it hits the lure, give slack to your fishing line, then immediately pull up lightly on both lines. It often takes several 'knocks' to get the plug loose, and there's a bit of a learning curve involved in getting your timing right for the 'knock', but it'll save you lots of $$$$. I made a rough (very rough) sketch; hope it's understandable.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For the last time! xxxx xxxxx xxxx

Attached Files:

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Ditto.. If your not fishing where the snags are your not fishing.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Scott I'm not familar with the lucky craft crankbait. I do troll for walleyes with shad raps and at around 5 to 6 buxs each thats high enough for me because its a matter of time to loose one.

Thats a good post on a lure retriever Jerry! Reps to ya.
    They will save you a lot of stick baits. Keep one in the boat, you will be glad it's there.

I can also at times reel down directly above the snag until my rod is a foot or so in the water and do a figure 8 in the water with my rod and have the crank bait come free. I try this first, then run down a lure retriever if it didnt work.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I own and use several models of Lucky Craft crankBaits.The standard 100 Pointer series is an excellent jerk bait and has made me some money. The model you make reference to has not gained the confidence of most tournament fisherman yet.Lucky Craft is more expensive but in one mans opinion they are worth it.:0a26: :0a18:

8. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    man i bought a $7 crankbait once, cause it was supposed to be a great lure..ya, i got caught. I had that thing in my tackle box for a month before i was brave enough to use it. Caught a nice crappie on the second cast. Put it back in the box and haven't used it since....it's still pretty tho...LOL

never will do that again. I don't mind payin 2-3 bucks for some bombers or shad raps, but i just can't afford throwin that kinda money away (when it's hung up or broke off by a fish) on a regular basis.

cyas
    robert