Crankbait crappie

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Stevej, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    Went out for a couple of hours this morning and pulled crankbaits by myself. Keep these 10 and threw back, I'm guessing, about twice that many keepers. Must be 10". The 4 biggest are 14". 2 males and the eggs in the females are bright. 1 of the 14" was male.

[​IMG]

2. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey man nice catch, i caught my biggest crappie when i was bass fishing once on a big blue mag wiggle wart. I put it on a stringer tied to the dock, and when i went to get it an hour later a turtle left nothing bet the head.:crazy:

3. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice fish! I've pulled 200 and 300 series Bandits in the post spawn and into summer and have done pretty well (not as well as you however). I never thought about using them in the cold weather. In late wineter, I have always fished slow and most of the time with live minnows. Thanks for the heads up; it is something that I am going to try in the next couple of weeks.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Nice catch. I also pull cranks for crappie sometimes. Good way to locate the crappie.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've been itching for the bays to thaw out. I cant wait for the spawning run.

6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bought a Wally Martial crappie crank bait last year but have never used it, I might have to try it out this spring.

7. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    By far my best crankbait is 300 Bandits with white or red being the best colors most of the time.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    You got some Good eating there Steve:big_smile:

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Yum!!!!!!!
    Bill

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Looks like the makins for a fine meal Steve i have used the Norman lures but they dont seem to run 'true'

11. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    I think very few CB's run true out of the box. In case you don't know, the way to true up a crankbait is to let out just a little line next to your boat and watch the lure at crankbait speed. If it runs to the left say you use needlenose and slightly bend the line tie in the direction you want it to run. What you are trying to do is make sure you have the same amount of lip on both sides of the line tie, same amount of water pressure on both sides. A small adjustment is normally all that is needed but it may take more than one try. I have caught a lot of crappie on Deep Little N's, one trick that works for me when casting with a CB for crappie, even bass, it to reel it down and run it for say 3 feet and pause, most crappie hit come on the pause, feels like a bite on a plastic worm. IMHO

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Looking Good there Steve" :eek:oooh:

I would just Love to get into a school of Carppie like that. :0a32:

"Way-To-Go Buddy" :smile2:
    :0a22:

Take is easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil