CrabOrchard lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fast glastron, Nov 30, 2008.

1. fast glastron

fast glastron New Member

State:
    ill
    Did anyone fish at craborchard lake? And did you have any luck? I'm new to this site just found it. We caught more catfish this year then we have ever caught.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ed Welcome to the BOC. What part of Il. are you from? I fish Crab at times and find it to be a great fishery for several species of fish.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

3. fast glastron

fast glastron New Member

State:
    ill
    im from carbondale area

4. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Never have fished there, but I have wanted to try it someday. I heard the fishing is really good.
    Welcome to the BOC!

5. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    welcome to the boc,have heard of the lake but never fished it,anway welcome.

6. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have done some waterfowl hunting down there but never made it down there to fish. I understand that it is quite a good fishery, but I think that there is a consumption advisory for that lake ( don't eat what ya catch). I'd like to get down there to give it a shot sometime. I'll just hafta add it to my list :wink:. Anyway, welcome to the boc!!

7. fast glastron

fast glastron New Member

State:
    ill
    i have ate fish all my life out of crab. i beleive they say not to eat the carp

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    There is a consumption advisary on Crab. The area east of Rt 148 Was contaminated many years ago by a company called Sangemor. A federal cleanup was done but advisarys stays in affect. The farther west you fish the lower any pcb readings. This is a precaution. I to know people who eat a lot of fish out of crab with no problems. The best fishing is to the west of 148 anyway.

9. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I only fish there. I have eaten a lot of fish out of there. Anyone who wants to go there and fish with a partner just give me a holler when it warms up. I plan on burning it up this spring and summer.

10. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    hey ED welcome i too just found this site and have benn askin about rend lake and crab. i live near you actually i live in west frankfort. i fish crab sometimes i have done ok at the wolf creek part. i wont lie to you i have only caught 5 or so all last year cept for like ponds and stuff. i dont know too much about it i just moved here last summer so this will be my 2nd season but i have been mapping my attack on the lake got some knew places to try. where have you fished on the lake? i am bank fishing because well i dont have a boat.

11. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    has anyone fished the lake in the winter? thinkin of tryin this thursday.

12. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Welcome to the BOC, It's just my opinion but I think Crab is the #1 Lake for Channel cat's . Rend is #2 and Carlyle #3.:wink:

BIGCAT GarryEads

13. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    i fish crab in winter boat ramps are slick take sand

14. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    i agree whit you caught some very nice channels also large blue/lips

15. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    getting ready to go check lake

16. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    I've only fished the lake one time.. but it was the best day of fishing I've ever had. last spring on the spawn.. in one afternoon me and a buddy put around 40 fish in the boat.. smallest one we caught was 2lbs... most were in the 5 to 6 range. We had so much fun that it just about ruined us for the rest of the season.. lol

17. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    has anyone seen crab orchards ice situation? ican only speak of crab being better and thats because well i got nothin but a buzz at rend and never been to carlyle. does anyone fish like the big muddy river here in so ill? went once few bites and lots of gar got 3 cats the one time i did go nothin over a pound though

18. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    just got in the door from crab helped ahunter break ice at breenbrier 2" to the middle

19. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    just got in the door from crab helped ahunter break ice at breenbrier 2" to the middle

20. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    so i guess i will have to postpone my thursday trip huh?