Crab Orchard ?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bigen, May 22, 2008.

1. Bigen

Bigen New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Planning on taking the boy fishing at crab orchard this weekend and unfortunatily it will be without a boat. I would greatly appreciate some hot spots from the bank that I could get to with a 7 year old boy and catch some cats.

2. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    on I guess what would be the east side of the lake off of wolf creek rd. there are some docks etc.. that are accessible right from the road. Last week people were fishing off of them. not sure about cats right there but i'm sure you could get into something.

3. Bigen

Bigen New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah I have bagged a bunch of crappie there and now that I think of it there is a good channel that runs threw there but back then I was not even thinking catfish but now that you refresh my memory I should be able to do somethin over there. I have taken prolly upwards of 1500 crappie off the very first dock you come to on the right side of that bridge over the years. They dragg that often and replenish it with plenty of christmas trees donated around the area. Thanks for the info I hope you have good luck in your days to come with them blues.

4. neilp

neilp New Member

State:
    Indiana
    HI- I USED TO LIVE THERE AND FISH CRAB ALL THE TIME. TRY TAKING DIVISION ST (I THINK IF I REMEMBER RIGHT FROM RT13 IN CARTERVILLE) SOUTH TOWARDS WHERE THE SIU AUTO PROGRAM IS. AT THE END OF THE STREET YOU CAN GO EITHER LEFT TO THE AUTO PROGRAM OR RIGHT TO A LITTLE BOAT RAMP, OR STRAIGHT AHEAD INTO A SMALL PULL OFF. PARK IN THERE AND HIKE STRAIGHT SOUTH THRU THE BRUSH. YOU WILL FIND AN OLD OVERGROWN SAND BEACH. FISH THE POINT TO THE WEST. THERE ARE A FEW DEEP SPOTS YOU CAN EASILY FALL INTO ABRUPTLY IF WADING SO BE CAREFUL, BUT THATS WHAT YOU WANT TO FISH. IF YOU CANT FIND THAT, THE SMALL BOAT RAMP IS ALSO GOOD. GOOD LUCK!

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Mickey seems to know alot about crab orchard. he'll probably drop in and tell ya somethin too

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron the best spot for channel and blues in the Wolf Creek section of Crab is the point you can see to the west of the dock you caught all the crappie from. Park in the little shelter fishing area (Bogard Point) walk south toward the point. Fish the point are either bench left or right of the point center. I like the one left of the center . The creek channel comes within a few yards of the point. Good luck.This is a clean walk and good areas to set. Take your dip net with you.