CP's Mississippi river report for May 28

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cpalombo, May 28, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Well folks, I have found the secret to catching cat fish. It is…. Music...

I went out of Dalbow again last night. After working on the shad around the dam spillway (see my other post, a nail biter) I went over to DBW’s recommended shad spot (an anchored barge). After an hour three, I had plenty of shad and golden eye for bait. I would never have tried behind a barge but DBW noticed it on the way out on our trip a few weeks back. Boy that place holds baitfish. I even caught a big sunfish. Weird.

After bait fishing was over, the storm came in. If you were not in St Charles County yesterday, let me describe. Clear skies one minute, wild hairy monkey-rain the next. I had rain gear in the boat so I was good enough to make it to shelter (I was miles from my launch, so going home was out).

Boy did it come down hard. I put in at a local dock restaurant and ate a pork chop sandwich and fries as I waited out the rain. I planned my next move. After a cut of chocolate cake and cup of coffee (life is tough for the fisher of cats), I headed back out to my wet boat. It is amazing what a mid-trip meal break can do to raise your spirits.

So, after getting to my favorite hole and throwing out the new Bass Pro Cat Maxx setups (see my other post on Miss river reels and rods)... I fished for 1 hour with no bites. At about 9:00 though and out of sheer boredom at fishing by myself, I turned on my on-board radio to 94.7 and turned up the classic rock. As the WHO was playing, the rod bent over. 6 lb blue cat. (WHO…Blue… They rhyme right? Maybe that is important to the story, I don’t know yet till I test that more. I will go on)….

So, the station was playing a top 500 classic rock bands. Every time the WHO was on, I got blue cats. Every time Led Zeppelin was on, I got channel cats. Included in the channel cat songs was the eminent “Cashmere”, where I hooked and landed my PB channel cat at 28 inches long! Not bad. After netting my PB, I had through the beast was a blue cat (stocky profile in the darkness) until I hit it with the flashlight and saw the spots. At that moment it occurred to me… "Dugh! Zeppelin is rocking out, man. It HAS to be a Channel cat!"

So with the help of the radio, I got a few fish last night in each species. I was fishing with big gear (12/0 hooks, 5/0 stingers, 12 -16 oz of weight, 30-40 foot holes, 3/4 lb + baits). And my secret weapon… hard rock music.

Here is my hypothesis…. Catfish are drawn to classic rock and specifically feed when listening to the major bands of the 70’s (you heard it here first)! Dont abuse this new knowlege, we must respect the secrit.

If you have been skunked lately, stop listening to that country music, it makes the fish ill. Turn off that Enya, the Bee Gees, and Cher. Throw away your Greatest Hits of John Tesch, because you will not get any “hits” with those hits. Instead, listen to classic rock while fishing. The catfish love a good power balled, and eat when hearing flaming chords and wild guitar work.

This is why they make noise when we catch them, they are singing. Probably something like... "Every Rose has its Thorne" !

Rock on!

CP

2. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great post, Chris! Sounds to me like you are on to something? Thank God your findings did not reveal that Cats were attracted to rap music or I might have had to find a new hobby. Congrats on the fish!

DWB

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You aint right dude, you just aint right. LMAO!!!

Rule Number 2. Catfish dont like Bluegrass. couldnt buy a fish last time out.

4. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Chris "Delirious" Palombo. That's got a good ring to it, eh?

I'm going to have to bring some tunes with me next time. But how do I know this isn't some clever ruse to keep me from catching fish? Wait, I do that fine by myself.

Zeppelin? The Who? Wow. I bet Slayer catches alligator gar, whilst Kenny G. attracts sissy fish. So, by that rationale would Johnny Cash attract bait thieves? A little Willie Nelson might attract some fish with munchies. :lol:

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Elton John Might attract some "sideways" swimming fish. :embarassed:

6. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    HAHAHAH...swim backwards. Don't spawn, either.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    LMAO!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That does it... Long live Rock n Roll!!! Glad you posted this Cube... Nobody else would believe me if I did! Thanks buddy...

9. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    No to Zeppelin!!! Can‘t stand it, my brother was a zeppelin groupie and played it over and over and over, I think he wore the record down… I will send out all the ninja asian carp to take out any zeppelin heard on the water… I think the channel cats were trying to do the same…
    Went out yesterday and caught some bullheads for bait last night, one died (must have heard zeppelin playing) so used it for cut bait and found it full of eggs. (the result of listening to Kenny G.)
    To the not quite right CP, sounds like you fit in well with the rest of us, fish on brother, keep us informed of your fishing observations.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Uh Oh, Jake has done whipped out the Teenage Mutant Ninja Carps on us. This is warfare....LMAO

What kind of cats would we catch if we listened to Prince. LMFAO.... Uh, I mean the artist formerly known as prince. "lets go craaaazeeeeeeee"

I'm thinking some good Ol fashioned ZZ Top might put a 50 pound fish in my boat next time out.

11. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Man, with the way it's been raining here in KC for the last few days maybe SRV's "The Sky Is Crying" might be a little more in tune with the state of the state...but then again, I'm always good for some Stevie Ray Vaughan.

KCMO is under ANOTHER flash flood warning until 11p tonight. At least no rain in the forecast for tomorrow -- and Friday's @ 40% chance. I'll say this much, if I have decided to fish on Friday (and I have) then it WILL rain.

I think Delirious will be pleased by all this ruckus that he started. Seems like the type of feller who likes to light the fuse and watch the mayhem erupt.

12. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    No no no! Willie makes the GRASS carp start feeding!

"Where are the cheeeetoooos, man?"

Yes, I do love a long string of jokes! Thanks all, this was a riot, very funny.

CP

13. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Cuz.. You want to test out this theory? Ill bring Innagoddalavidda and some Van Halen next time.. Hope your speakers can handle it... lol

14. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Ruckus, yes. We have achieved ruckus. My work here is now complete. I must leave now and find others in need of a laugh.

Sometime I occationally help the Earthlings.

"Delirious" P

15. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    "Ruckus, yes. We have achieved ruckus. My work here is now complete. I must leave now and find others in need of a laugh."

Chuckle at this one then. Perhaps we should look more into this. Why do you think that the fish will turn on with a barge going by? Trains can have the same effect. These produce vibrations in the water that somehow get them stirred up. They say that clogger works also. Possibly is there anything to this using sound waves or vibration to entice the fish?

See what you started now!!!

16. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    That's an excellent observation. I wonder what the dominant frequency of a passing train or barge is? My guess is that the throb of a large prop is probably less than 10 hertz, which is at the lowest threshold the human ear can observe. Tones less than 20 hertz are very difficult to reproduce.

To recreate these frequencies loudly (>90dB) in the air, you need to move a lot of air which requires a lot of speaker cone surface area and a lot of cone excursion. However, I know nothing about hydrophonics and what would be required to reproduce similar frequencies and sound pressure levels underwater -- but it might be worth investing in a hydrophone so I can get a measure of what it sounds like...

So I just did a little hunting and came up on these beauties...the first one is of a british barge motor (Kelvin K3) running at 150 RPM (recorded in engine room):

http://www.grahamoliver.com/alnwick/140rpm.wav

and the second at 300 RPM (river cruising speed):
    http://www.grahamoliver.com/alnwick/300rpm.wav

I'm just wondering if there's a possibility that high SPL at low frequencies (< 20 Hz) might have the tendency to disorient or stun baitfish/forage, which may in turn provoke predatory fish (who are not affected by the the frequencies due to their size) into feeding more aggressively?

The other thing that needs to be observed is whether the "barge phenomenon" occurs only when the barge is going upstream (probably higher RPM due to current) or downstream -- or either direction?

17. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Maybe the different tempo's in rock versus other music may have the same effect. Seriously.

CP

18. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Some of us know how to trim up our boats to get the flying carp stimulated to jump out of the water is a prime example of what sound and vibration can do.

19. UncleDave

UncleDave New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's absolutely true to some extent "Whiskers"! I can't see why listening to some good ole rock-n-roll in the boat couldn't be much different than that "Sonic-thingy" that Bill Dance uses. It has an underwater speaker that emits sounds of feeding baitfish. Then there's that Klonker catfish caller. I've also heard of American Indians banging rocks together under the surface to call fish.

We should contact UMC and see if they'll start a research program for us. "The Effects Of Rock-n-Roll Music on Catfish In The 21st Century"!!! :)