CP's June 10 Fishing Report

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cpalombo, Jun 10, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    (Author's note, if you have 5 minutes or less to catch up on the latest fishing reports, skip this one... nothing happened!)

So, Dustin (Dust_StL) and I went out to find some of the monster mid-spawn empty holes that we hear so much about. We did great, and found lots of them! Now that all the big fish are spawning some place else, we were totally successful in our quest to find deep empty holes void of catchable fish.

One of the empty holes we fished was huge, probably a record for the state of Missouri. We got to it a bit late, but still managed to find a #50 (feet deep) hole. And it was wide too, like a football. That was our biggest fishless hole of the night (and what a night). A wonderful 3 hours of fishing was spent there dealing with the #50.

Next, we located a few #20 and #30's. They took about 1 hour each before we were pleased to conclude that all the fish in those holes were gone spawning.

So, our evening total was one #50, two #30's, several #20's and lots of #15's, #10's and #7's! It was great. Totally successful. And not one pesky catfish to infringe on our goal of locating deep fishless holes.

Good times!
    ________

On an honest note... I joke about not catching, but it is just a joke, I had a great time. We fished hard over non-spawn locations, and paid the price for it. No fish. There were PLENTY of happy pints though. Dustin is a really cool guy with lots of great travel stories (thanks for hanging out dude). The temp was great. Also, I have a LOT more nerve running my rig in the dark now that I learned to turn off all but the legal lights.

Also, A really nice guy stopped over to chat. Had a wicked rig, Mirrocraft or Starcraft 18 footer I think with 15 cat rods sticking up. We talked about the lack of fish being caught and he sped off. Later in the day he came back and threw us 7 lbs of frozen skipjack! ("Thank you nice bait-sharing man, whoever you may be!") I told him about the BOC, hopefully he will post some day.

In another honest note, we had a #15- 20 lb catfish to the side of the boat and lost it off the stinger hook. (Ping... Gaaaahhhh!) And some hatchet murderer and his 30 member family parked a big fat stupid looking pontoon boat right on top of my favorite bait netting spot so that they could be familial AND scare away my bait in one fluid motion (kill them!)

No other bites to speak of. Further, we tracked the transducer over some of my very favorite holes. In one 50 ft hole, we located exactly 3 fish on the bottom. The big fish are gone some place else!

I plan on trying wing dams and log piles for the next 2 weeks.

CP

2. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Oups, I meant to type "points" and missed an "o". There were no pints. But, there were plenty of happy POINTS!

CP

3. IswallerdaJuneBuG

IswallerdaJuneBuG New Member

State:
    MissourI
    Thats how my season has been as well

4. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Sorry bout parking the 'toon over there. I'll try n keep my kin together better next time. Things've been real noisy since Turtle Jimmy got the stitches on his tongue taken out -- who knew a snappin turtle would eat Easy-Cheez outta yer mouth like that? Well, I s'pose Turtle Jim did (he's such a showoff).
    My cousin Beaver Jack has another trick he wants to show us next time.

No really, in all seriousness -- excellent report on the condition of fishing during the spawn. You'll wanna remember the coordinates of that 50 footer during the winter, that's for sure.

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Cris, how could you not catch any fish. I told you where We caught ours. You didnt go there ,did you?

6. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    No, I had not read your info, or all the other great info from others until this morning (after Dustin and I had already went out). 90% of fishing is mental, and if you get lazy and stick with what worked "last week", you can totally blow it. It is self-discipline to force yourself to make the harder choices to go where the fish are, and to catch them the way that want to be caught.

Worse yet, Kutter and all the other guys were putting on a noodle clinic on the Merimac River yesterday and terrorizing the water creatures. Rather than that good time, I made the choice to head to the Miss because I was short on time. I could have been noodling and caught fish, or fished wing dams and caught fish, or fished wood and caught fish, or went to the Wal-Mart pet department with a teeny green net and a bucket and caught fish. I worked real hard for yesterday's skunk, I just decided to rely on what worked 4 weeks ago, despite knowing that the spawn had started. I earned this one.

Fishing is such an either/or thing. When you just start out (like I am now)... Out of 10 trips, you skunk twice, do OK 7 times, and hit it right on once. At $100 per fishing trip (a very conservitive estimate I might say if you own a boat, trust me!) that means you pay $900 for every good day of fishing.

Having just calculated the above and while holding back tears... I now plan on selling all my fishing stuff on ebay. I will rent myself a guide 4X per year and use the money I save in 2008 to buy a set of golf clubs, golf shoes, and pastel polo shirts that matchs my golf umbrella!

CP

7. backedde

backedde New Member

State:
    missouri
    i here what your saying but i read a lot of your post and i dont you see selling all your fishing gear on ebay to go hit a white ball around. lol. but i will be looking on ebay for some good deals .lol.my wife tells me what i spend on fishing in a month i could take her to vegas.i told her thats true but that would be like some one selling all there fishing gear to take up golfing . NOT GONE TO HAPPEN

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    How can a guy have 15 catfish poles on his rig in the Mississippi River?

You can only legally fish two poles at a time per man (or woman), right?

9. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    3 poles I believe.

He probably just has them each rigged a little different for different situations.

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The statewide regulation is 3 poles but there is a special reg or whatever that says the limit is two on the Mississippi and elsewhere. I'll have to check my wildlife code book again and will post it here.

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    3 CSR 10-6.410 Fishing Methods

PURPOSE: This rule establishes the methods
    by which fishermen may take fish

2) Number of Poles and Hooks.
    (A) Not more than three (3) unlabeled
    poles and not more than thirty-three (33)
    hooks in the aggregate, for any or all methods,
    may be used by any person at one time.

(B) On the Mississippi River, not more
    than two (2) unlabeled poles and not more
    than fifty (50) hooks in the aggregate may be
    used by any person at one time. While fishing
    concurrently on the Mississippi River and
    other Missouri waters, not more than fifty
    (50) hooks in the aggregate may be used and
    not more than thirty-three (33) of those hooks
    may be used in waters other than the Mississippi
    River.

And so on and so on and ...................blah, blah, blah

A lot of people are unaware of this provision. Just trying to save any fellow BOC'ers a ticket from The Man

12. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Darryl, thanks for digging that up -- I had always given into the lazy assumption that since MO allows 3 rods per angler, it was that way state-wide regardless of which body of water was fished. You probably just saved some folks some cashola right there. Rep points indeed.

13. dust_stl

dust_stl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Chris
    Great report couldnt have said it any better myself. Thanks for everything, I learned a lot and had a fun time out on the river even though we didnt boat any fish. Remember to go check out Road Kill Cafe in Greenville Maine and try the Chunk of Skunk for $1.95. I still cant believe those small boats we saw on the river. I bet that one boat was no longer than 15ft with a 25hp motor. With seeing that with my own eyes I have determined that my boat 16.5ft 40hp will work on good river conditions. I also think that catching bait is not as hard as I thought it would be as long as you have a good spot.

Chris Thanks Again for a Great time

Dustin

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use those little 3M laminated backpack tags to make labels, and keep extra ones on hand at all times. You can have 33 fishing poles if they are labeled. I've had this conversation with friends before when I had 3 catfish poles out, and was crappie fishing. I was told that I was breaking the law. I said "No, I have one of my poles tagged. I'm legal." This went back and forth for a bit. I was unaware of only being able to use 2 unlabeled poles on the Mississippi, but I have never fished there yet.

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    So you are saying that you can use a boatload of POLES as long as they are labeled?

Hmmmmmmmm........... I will definately check that out with MDC. I believe you may have a point there.

I would never have thought of labeling the poles, sounds reasonable as you merely have to label Jugs, trotlines, limblines etc.........

Thanks!

16. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN

Darryl,

Thanks for the catch on the legal side of things. I will clarify...

The nice bait sharing guy I was refering to in my post had a lot of poles sticking up in storage, however I can not attest to how many he was fishing with at any one time.

I carry about 12+ ready poles in my boat, but never fish more than 2 at one time in the Miss river. It offers great flexability when I change depths, current speed, taget size, and target species. I assume your correction below refers only a warning about using too many poles at one time, rather than poles in storage.

CP

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well Chris, it seems that Matt was making a point that you can use a bunch of poles at once on the Mississippi as long as you label them such as you would do for a jug or limbline.

Not sure if that is true or legal but I will be asking the Conservation Dept.

Ethical? I guess as long as it is legal, what's the difference between that and 50 trotline hooks?

Most of the time you wouldn't fish more than a couple rods apiece anyway, especially if you have a few people in the boat.

18. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Easiest way to label your poles is to take some mailing address labels that you normally get for using with your Christmas postage and use them. Just tear off the little Santa or Christmas tree as this looks somewhat tacky. Then just scotch tape over them and you will not have to worry about if they are legal or not.
    Another helpful tip is to do this to the bottom of your reels. Then you write on it the line poundage and a date when you respool them. This works very well when you have somewhat of matching poles and run different size lines. 50, 65 and 80 lb Power Pro is sometime hard to distinguish at a quick glance when grabbing another pole to use. So it is best to just take an extra minute and label them..

19. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    On the Mississippi, its 50 hooks, labled. Rig them anyway you want. I put mailing labels on my poles but rarely use more than 2 because if the fish are biting, 2 will keep you busy and my boat doesn't have 50 rod holders.