CPR ???

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Backlashed, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    OK, I love to eat fish almost as much as catching them, and Flathead is one of my favorites. I grew up thinking it was sac religious to throw back any catfish, let alone big Flats, but times have changed, and I wanna do my part. So I guess what my question is, what IS the ethical size fish to keep? And whats the theories behind it?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ray, most folks here say under 10 gets the corn meal, over that goes back in the water. I was the same way and thought eat em all.:smile2: I see now that bigger fish spawn the most eggs, and i'll turn em back. If i could ever catch one.:crazy: Thank you for your conservation efforts.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    A tip of the hat for your considerations on CPR.
    If the fish is over 10-15lbs you might want to consider CPR. Unless its a for sure it won't survive.
    They are good gene stock and good egg producers.
    I personally don't keep anything over 10lb....... But up north in MN our fish don't reach the size of southern states.
    My thoughts are if you have to consider keeping... you might as well let it go for others to catch and propagation of the species.
    Just my .02

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I submitted this article to address this issue. Here is the link, and thanks for caring enough about this great sport to ask.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82132

5. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
  6. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Oh my Lord Ray:big_smile::smile2::smile2: Everyone here knows I CPR all my cats. I have been in some heated debates and been accused of running a couple people off and i swear I didn't do it. I know I'm going to get some nasty pm's after this post. I think 10 lbs is the majic number everyone kinda goes by. TY very much for your conservation of a great sport and a great fish. I can't wait until NC imposes laws on fish size that people is able to keep in the catfish species. But anyway thanks for your CPR efforts. Every little bit helps and does work.:roll_eyes:

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks Ray for the post.

I too have kept fish over 10lb yrs ago when you ate what you caught.

But now days i like to eat only the small ones and let the muture fish go back and do their thing.

I stand strong on this and practice what i preach.
    In Kansas like most states we have a growing number of people you injoy the sport of catfishing and on our small waters here we cant afford to keep taking these big fish out without some effects.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I cannot add to anything that was said. Boy does it feel good to watch them swim off.:big_smile:

9. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I release everything under 10lbs. because I never catch anything over 10!!

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You and me both brother (but I know "I have")!!! I think that they leave because they can't take a lesson in humility and decide to duck and run. All we can do is plant the idea in their heads and eventually they will understand what we are talking about and change the way they think!!!

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I would also like to add that anyone fishin is usually doing so for the sport of it. It is something that they enjoy doing. Keepin a few fish to eat is just a bonus. The days of fishin for food are just about over. With the price of gas and everything else it would probably be cheaper to buy fish from the store to eat. But like I said most enjoy the catchin part of it, and we would all like to catch more not less. Also the smaller fish are more plentiful and have been swimmin in the rivers/lakes that we have trashed for a lot less time.

12. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I'm kinda the same way. I said in another post that I never catch big ones. Never landed one over 10lbs. I am concerned about conservation, always have been but, I release most of mine out of lazyness these days. LOL! I don't like to kill/clean them. Actually, I really hate to kill them, but they're sooo good. One time I was filleting crappie and had to stop. Grandpa had to finish. I just couldn't do it.:sad2: Back on topic...I'll go out and run trotlines with my grandfather for a few days and get just the cats we know we'll eat that summer. We'll do the same for crappie(not on a trotline though). After that I toss all fish back in the lake. I only ever kept one bass. I cleaned it, wrapped it in foil with butter salt and pepper and tossed it on the fire. Not too bad, but I toss them all back.

I haven't been able to run the lines this year, or catch crappie. Grandpa's health won't allow him to do it. I'm itchin' for a mess of fish right now.

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    eating fish
    there in my opinion is nothing wrong with it i love to eat all fish
    but i do cpr alot of them especially the ones over 20 lbs
    sometimes even the smaller ones especially close to spawn
    but it is your fish and i wont judge you for your catch and keep policy
    i know a guy who runs limb lines here in kansas and yes he has been ticketed before they call him trapper he keeps everything and sometimes they harvest 1000lbs of fish in one weekend i hate that but as long as he is following the law i cant complain to much what kansas needs is a length limit on flaties

14. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I like this section from the Missouri regs.

(A) From the no-fishing zone below Truman
    Dam downstream throughout the noboating
    zone, the daily limit of channel catfish,
    blue catfish and flathead catfish may
    include only one (1) fish more than twentyfour
    inches (24") in total length

Wouldn't hurt if it was more than just below the dam.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thank you for your conservation efforts. I commend you for your efforts in this great sport!!!:wink::big_smile:

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I think the only thing that will plant it in their heads is when they are on the bank scratching their head after days,weeks,and months of fishing their favorite lake or river wondering why they cant catch any fish over 5 lbs. :smile2:

17. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i been doin that this whole year so far Keith !! i cant even catch a cold it seems

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Well JJ, if you would get your butt out here one night, we'll put you on some fish. Jake came out last week , and got his PB channel. Im pretty sure we can get you on some nice channels. :big_smile:

19. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i know i know !! tell ya what, i'll be mowin in KC this week ( i have to, i'm waaaaaay behind, oops :smile2: ) when y'all goin out again ?? i can just get my mowin i feel like doin that day and while im in the big city just stay and fish w/ y'all. i'll just sleep in the truck/camper (lol) and be there to mow again the next day.

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Probably Sat. night. Ill know for sure Thurs. night. Ill call you then. :big_smile: