CPR your fish in Ohio

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jul 15, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i had an earlier thread on cpr. alot of you replied some agreed, some disagreed. that is the beauty of free speech. i have been reading alot on here about how people think about taking care of their catch, and sometimes not so..i thought i would bring this subject back to try to remind, or persuade a few to try to take care of your fish. im not starting a thread to tell anyone not to keep fish to eat. lets get that one out of the way. i keep smaller fish to eat. no more than i need though. i never knife big breeding fish. 15 pounds and over! i recently got a new digital camera for fathers day, and it works outt great. i have always carried a dispossable camera. that worked fine, but i like the advantage of reviewing the pic. quickly to see if it was ok...u get the point. Alright, to the good stuff...Guys, i have been seeing the effects of liners, added fishermen etc. to the area i live. this has pushed me farther and farther away. i see every weekend fish being thrown into the bottom of a boat, back of a truck... im not writing this for the purpose of bit8hing about the added pressure to my area. i see more and more liners, juggers, bob-pole people breaking the law with un-marked lines, fishing illegally and robbing our sport. like i said im not a liner, and my opinion is just that...but, i can honestly tell you that on the river i have fished for 15 yrs. plus. i have seen a huge effect on these big fish being taken from my local water. these people have no consideration towards our resource. i see fish die at local tourneys, and fishermen act like it is no big deal...don't get me wrong i fish tourneys myself , but i do everything in my abilitly to make sure my fish are healthy when released. i also know of the mortality studys done on fish that die later. but my feeling about that is you could hook one deep that may not survive. and i can assure u that i have seen many biguns swim off like they were just caught minutes before...they aren't mortality fish...i don't believe that. so to shorten things abit here...if you really love this sport that i do try to consider the advantages of letting the bigger ones go, keep a few small ones for the table. maybe you will see the increase in the trophy fish you catch, cause i have seen the decrease around here. i know this may draw a few responses about fishin and your river...but consider what im saying about mine...the muskingum where i live is not the ohio, mississsippi, missouri,etc. they can handle a bigger impact than where i live...and the local lakes as well... try to handle your fish will care, use big coolers with proper aerator systems, don't string through the gills if you have to keep them for a while. try to get them back to their enviroment as quick as possible. do whatever you can to help keep the biguns alive, maintain our great sport so my child and yours can enjoy the true rewards we do in the outdooors!! rollo

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I couldn't agree more Jason!!!

If you are gonna keep them and clean them, fine do just that but, if you are releasing them do it in a timely manner and take special precautions not to damage the gills or other vital organs. Support the fishin a horizontal position for pics by holding the lip and supporting the underside of the fish. These fish come from a weightless invironmet and can't take much handling outside of their world.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Who may I ask wants a plate full of mercury today please?????

:wink:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You would be surprized at the amount of folks on here that do like mercury and lead with their fish fish, LOL!!!

5. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I agree wholeheartedly, I only keep 5# and under for the table. I love my new digital camera as well, I had so many pics not turn out with the disposables and you would not know untill it was too late, after they were developed. In my opinion the bigguns are not that good to eat anyway, a little tough and dry.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You know Rollo, I personally think this topic doesn't come up enough. Thanks for bringing it up again. It gives me my twice a year chance to vent on the topic. That is how often it comes up.
    Guys, If you fish the same areas every year, you know how hard it is to catch a fish over 40 pounds. Or one over 30, or maybe 20.
    We all want to catch a 50 or 70 pounder. Where do they come from? They come from 20's, 30's, and 40's.

If you catch a 30lb fish, and plan on practicing catch and release, DO NOT and I quote "DO NOT" carry it around in the back of your truck/car/boat/wheel barrow.... etc. Unless you have a suitable livewell to hold such a critter.

Carry a disposable camera, or any camera. I am the first to admit that in the past I used a stringer on large fish. When I started out ten yrs ago I didn't know squat. I started out hooking them through the bottom jaw. ( But I didn't like the fact that I was opening up a raw wound they could die from) So I started putting the stringer through the last gill-plate and that was even worse. I damaged 4 big fish thinking I was doing them a favor that way. I just didn't know any better. I was going off heresay or what I picked up along the way.

7. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i strongly feel that big flatheads(especially those caught from ohio lakes) should go back in the water.there are too few of them and the state isnt stocking any.we have a responsibility as anglers to preserve this resource.let them make more big fish.that being said if my family was needing and i caught a big flat-she'd be on the table-so use your best judgement.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    But now after said ten years, I have experienced alot of different catfishing situations, heard from numerous guys about their experiences, and read everything I could ever find on keeping catfish alive so they can be released and not just swim off but survive their encounter with us fishermen.

I'm not here to pass judgement on anyone, just letting you all know what I have found out and hope someone can learn from my mistakes, and keep the next 20 pounder alive to grow to 70.

First off, I know how much everyone wants to get recognition when they catch a new personal best fish. My only thought is this, Is your EGO worth the life of the fish you just caught? If you are a member here you will probably be fishing for years to come, and if you are any good at all you'll catch a bigger one later this year or next year, or one of the years that follow. Don't put a fish on a stringer, or haul it around in your boat just to get a photo. If you fish alone, just weigh it and measure it and let it go. Tell us you were by yourself and that is enough reason for no pics. We will understand. The last 5 years I have released many fish that nobody seen but me. But thats just my schedule, I'm off in the middle of the week and all my fishing buddies are off on the weekends lol. Does it suk? Sure, but I know those fish swam away fresh and lively, and I have a chance to catch them again in another ten yrs. when they are 60lbs.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you just absolutely have to keep a fish for photos or a tournement or whatever. Go to the nearest sporting goods store like Cabellas or bass pro and buy a 20 dollar duck decoy bag. Big as you can get. Mine is something like 50x60 inches or close to that. Look for smooth nylon thats soft to the touch so its easy on the fishes slimecoat. I use mine to weigh the fish I catch. ( It distributes the weight evenly) And to keep them in the water for the short time I need to get the camera and the scale ready, plus to let me recover from the battle. LOL

If you just plan ahead now, when you do catch a PB or other large fish, you can get what you need and still put them back into the depths without killing them.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would just like to add a few more safety precautions for the fish you are returning to fight another day. Try and keep a supply of disposable respirators and rubber gloves ( I think that they are allergic to latex) in with your catch and release gear. These will serve as effective barriers to air and blood borne disease that you may unwittingly transfer to the fish through your breath or blood. Remember that these fish have had it pretty rough already this year from moving rocks and tree limbs out of their way to capture food and build nests. If you find an open wound on their head from such activity you may want to apply a generous amount of neosporin and a ace bandage with hypoallergenic tape of course. Remember these are very delicate and sensitive fish any kind of rough handling or abusive language can scar their little psyche for life! lol :eek:oooh::crazy::wink:

Just turn them loose as gently and as quick as you can. It all boils down to two things, If you cpr then you will try and treat the fish well. If you don't cpr then you just plain don't care and no amount of talking will convince you other wise.:big_smile:

11. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    im only 17, and fully understood the value of cpr at age 13,, i look at it this way, is it more fun to catch a 20, 30, 40 maybe 50 pounder or more fun to eat them. i fish for big fish, and i know that if you keep them your not going to catch them again. that means they wont grow any bigger and they wont pass on their genes. i believe in life if you take what you need not what you want, everyone will be a little better off. cpr on all cats over 10.. and our big flathead and channel fishery will be alot better off. with more monsters to be caught!

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I must tell you that I have eaten every fish I have caught above 50#'s.

Which to date is..................0. lol

I practice CPR on 99% of the catfish I catch. Only a few small eaters every now and then.

Great thread man.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Where would the Liberty Bell be today if everyone was allowed to touch it?
    Where would the Statue of Liberty be if the torch stairway were still open?
    If everyone touched the Bandit (Trans Am from the Movie), what condition would it be in?
    If everyone drove their 4x4's and ATV's everywhere there was no trail, would there be wildlife left?
    If there were no limits on Deer harvesting would there still be trophies?
    If there were no slot limits on Bass would there still be trophies?
    If there was no legislation on Whating, and Shark hunting, would there be greater than the already staggering number of 90+ percent decimation of their numbers?
    Can a Flathead catfish attain 50+ lb status in 5 years or less?
    Is there enough fossil fuel to sustain our transportation need ad infinitum?
    If we continue developingfarmland will there be a shortage of food at some point?
    If we continue cutting down the rain forests will there be a shortage of oxygen?
    If we keep dumping garbage in the ocean, will there be a clean ocean in the future?
    If we keep depleting the ozone, will there be global warming as a result?

What we do as one, seems to make very little difference which allows us to rationalize. What we do as a group makes a much larger impact. What we do as a society affects generations.

If you do not practice CPR, will there be fish for sport when your grandchildren arrive?

Do you care?

It is simple really. We are stewards of the bounty God gave us.

How do you wish to care for His earth?

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

So Shawn, what you are saying then is, if we all keep catching the same fish over and over again because we CPR and we all touch it, then it will disappear? :crazy::eek:oooh:

15. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great post Shawn, thanks for sharing.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    how did i know that you too would chime in together on this one? shawn i was appreciating a more intellectual approach to this after reading your post...then came jack to bring me back to sarcasm and stupidity! lol anyways for what it is worth thanks for your input...rollo:smile2:

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    OK Class, here is a quick Physics Question.

What is the Density of Jack?

What I am saying is that if we keep cathing the same fish, eventually his mouth will look like Madcatters and all his jewelry!

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    (J)x(A)-27+(C)+(K)=Very Thick.... A substance denser than lead!!! Which in turn would make him dummer than a sack of hair, LOL!!!

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    And after they recieve their tenth piercing the next one is free, LOL!!! What could possibley be better than dinner and piercing and a photograph, all in less that a couple of minutes of their time, LMAO!!!

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i probably see more people that aren't prepared for their trip fishing than anything. this is what causes some of the problems. there are people who want to cpr. their fish, but the neglegence of preparing for when they catch them, i have tried to explain this in a half-way nice manner to the guy that has a 20lber's head stuffed in a five gallon bucket and 4 other fish stacked on top each other in a cooler not big enough to keep 24 cold beers in hardly. alot has to do with stupidity maybe? lack of intellegence on what fish need to survive? or simply not really caring much about what happens to them...after all there are plenty of big ones in there!!:eek:oooh: So, like i said earlier... if you are targeting fish, with the possibility of catching big fish. try to prepare yourself if you do have to transport them for any reason. have plenty of space for all your fish. i have had up to 5 coolers in back of my truck before for this reason. plenty of water tempered for close temps. they are taken from, high levels of oxygen for them to maintain their stability. and get them back to there natural enviroment asap. not everyone believes and practices the same things i do. but, when it comes to everyone that does want to let their fish live and having the opportunity to practice what im saying, there is no excuse for not being prepared for your day or night on the water.