CPR!!! What are your Habits?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Dreadnaught, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I know this has been debated before but, there are many new members that have never gotten the chance to voice their oppinions on the subject. So let's do it again for old time sake and a few laughs, LOL!!!

For those of you that don't know what this is: C-catch P-photograph R- release.

Personally I release any cat over 10lbs and, it is a standing rule in my boat as well!!!

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    cpr hhmm , if i wish to keep the fish i catch to eat i will if i have to kill it then and there :lol: but yeah i tend to release most of the cats i catch .

i have caught the same fish as many as 3 times out of the ohio river . if i was to keep a fish it would more than likely be under 20 pounds . you see i want to catch a record some day and the fish have a hard enough time getting to record size with others keeping the big ones to eat .

around here fish gain 2 - 3 pounds a year on average so if i cpr for instance that blue i had a few weeks ago that weighed 65# in 13 years he could weigh 104# or that flatty i had that weighed 50# in 17 years could way over 100# . i plan on living long enough to catch that record fish but i may have to get some one to push my wheel chair to the water :lol:

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In some cases I release fish. Not usually catfish though. I don't catch alot of trophys, and they are not in jeopardy where I fish, so that hasn't been a point for debate in my area. In some instances I can see benefits of releasing large fish to be caught another day. Catch, Photograph, and Release immediatly and unharmed is great. Hauling the fish back to the dock to show off, then photograph, then release is where I have a problem. Those fish probably won't survive for long anyway. If you do all that, you might as well eat the fish in my oppinion. Keep in mind that besides being excellent candidates in the gene-pool for larger fish, and money makers for tournements, their survival is not critical for the overall health and survival of the species. I don't ever waste fish, that's where I stand on the subject.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I just got serious about CPR this year, I have kept a lot of big Blue Cats to eat. I really didn't know anything about CPR for Catfish until I got on the fishing message boards. Now I usually let anything over 10-20 pounds go unless the fish swallows the hook.

5. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    I CPR most of the fish I catch. I LOVE to eat fish now! I believe I could eat fish every meal if that was possible. Fried, Boiled, Grilled, it don't mater. Most of the fresh water fish I catch are released though. Mainly eat the salt water catch.

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I cpr all the channel cat, big and small. We dont have a large population of channels in this region, and they are my favorite fish to catch. I do however keep all the trout, walleye, and yellow perch, that i catch ice fishing.

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i fish by the regulation bag limit. I keep what the bag limit says i can keep. those bag limits are set by pretty smart fish&game people that know what the fish populations are and what kind of fishing pressure will be detrimental to the population and set those bag limits accordingly. so i figure im doin my part by staying within the rules. I dont cpr everything. anything over 30lbs is cpr i reckin, the rest is food.

8. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    The way that i see it is that the big fish lay more eggs than the little ones do, so i cpr anything over 15 pounds. But it is a personal opinion and a decision that only the person who caught the fish can decide.

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    with slimepig!Our fish and game people are out there even if we don't see em and they know what the business end really is.So as long as I'm strictly legal in everything I do while fishing and the fish I keep are eaten I really see no harm is being done.Also if they are severely injured during the catching phase ie swallowing hooks bleeding gills,I will keep them.Just my opinion!:smile2:

10. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    since i don't eat a hole lot of fish i turn em lose..but if i want cpl to eat usually keep cpl under 3 pounds

11. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I CPR all my fish except for 2 reasons. The fish has completley swallowed the hook, or I know someone that will eat when I get it home. If the fish swallows the hook, Ive learned its gonna die no matter how good my intentions are. So it will go home and get cleaned and stored in a freezer bag. But I do have some freinds that love to eat fish, but would rather not take the time to go out and enjoy the experience of catching it.
    I guess there is a third reason, if I catch a mess of bullheads, (yummy) Im takin em home to eat for my self!

Tight lines to ya!!!

Kenny

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I would dissagree a little bit catfish are pretty hardy fish and will survive out of water for quite a while 35-45min and still swim off. I do catch and release and I do believe it is nessassary to maintain our fisheries. I mean look at all the other species the human race has made exctint

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I am going to have to agree with you, I have had nice catfish stay alive for a long time and then when I released them they swam off great. Usually if I catch a big fish and don't have a camera or something I will cut a very small hole in the fishes mouth and run a stringer thru the hole and tie the fish up so it's still in the water and then I get a camera and take a picture of the fish.

14. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I release all catfish I catch, no matter size. For one simple reason, I enjoy eating crappie much much more than catfish and I catch enough of them to fill 10 freezers every year. So i catch catfish simply for the thrill, although there is nothing wrong with keep catfish, it can be very beneficial in many waters. Selective harvesting is the way to go! I just wish more people let the real nice ones go, b/c not all catfish are create equal, not all blues will grow to be 50+ pounds (it's actually a small percentage, around 25 percent is what i read in a study). It's all about the genetics! and if i catch a large catfish I wanna make sure it swims away to 1. grow bigger and 2. pass those rare genes on to it's offspring.

My other recomendation is- if you like fish, eat gar!!! take all of those darn things ya want, lol.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I havent eat catfish in 15 years!!!!

16. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    As long as I am legal and stay within the regulation the Great State of Texas has set I keep it. I love fish and my entire family loves fish. There are days that I do not feel like messing with cleaning and they all go back but 90% go into a freezer

Texas Regs on Catfish are 25 channels or blues (any combination) 12 inch min. per day. Flatheads are 5 daily with an 18 inch min.

17. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    JW Dreadnaught makes me keep every fish I catch and bring home so he can eat them, then he can make posts on here that he CPR's and try's to make me look bad when I don't post I CPR. now I see what he is up too.. JW my only question is you say you don't keep fish over 10 Pounds , did you change this year to 6 pounds for some reason.. LMAO :lol: :eek:oooh: :tounge_out:

18. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I don't have any problem keeping some of the fish I catch out of the local lakes to eat, but with all the warnings we have in the local rivers(Kaw&MO), I'm strictly CPR on all fish caught there. I'm fishing for fun- looking for a hawg!

19. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Once in a loooooong while, I keep a couple little ones (< 5 lbs). Everything else is CPR. If everybody kept all the fish they could legally keep, the resource would be quickly destroyed because fishing pressure is so high. Like Charles Manson said when he was asked if he wanted to kill: "If I wanted to kill people, there would be nobody left".

20. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As I haven't caught a catfish over 10# in several years, I have no problem with saying I'll cpr any over 10#. I like to freeze and eat a few catfish over over the year. Sometimes I'll let them all go because I dont want to clean them when I get home. I don't take home a couple fish, if I don't get a mess then I let them go.