CPR Thread

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishrollo, Apr 27, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For all of you that support Catch, Photo, Release, here is the talk thread for doing so. I'm not starting this to create havioc. Just to have a thread we all can talk about our sport and how we preserve it.. rollo

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You know me that I'm all for it and practice it myself. :wink::big_smile:
    I respect others beliefs and ways also as long as its legal and ethical. :wink::big_smile:
    Great Post Bro!!!!!:wink::cool2:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I practice it as well,only I throw the baby guys back and keep a few of the others. I only keep what I NEED all the rest go back. on another note on CPR ,If the little guys all get ate there wont be any more bigguns either.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    you wont get havic from me. if its legal i have no problems with your ways. and nothing wrong with not wanting to kill em. after i get a good supply in my freezor i still go fishing and release too. i can have the best of both worlds.:big_smile:

5. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    No CPR no fish in the future for us to chase. I think that is a problem in a lot of places that are fished. I know that is problem here in S.C. U can't wait till the fish are gone and then do something about it. I WILL JUST STOP WITH THAT. I DON'T WANT TO GET ANY FEATHERS RUFFLED ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON.

PEEDEE CAT

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I turn 90% of them loose, or relocate them to other waterways or lakes. I was deeply saddened when one swallowed the hook yesterday. I had to pull a docter g medical examiner to get my hook back. It really hurt my heart to have to butcher that fine creature up. In these events, I keep my fillet knife handy so naught goes to waste.
    Bill in SC

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I practice CPR! Watching people keep everything they catch is plain wrong!! In today's world releasing fish has become a smart practice on conservation. It helps keep the fisheries in balance and helps give our youth the chance for catching the fish of their life someday. I challenge everyone in the BOC/SOC to spread the word about CPR to people you see fishing. Yeah, you might get a strange face or possibly some dumb words.:crazy::embarassed: But, at least You did your part..:big_smile::big_smile:

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have always released every catfish I caught...Even way back when there was not as much fishing pressure as there is now.

But now it is even more important with catfishing growing so fast...It is up to us if there is plenty of catfish for the future.

I take it a step farther, I believe releasing the small ones is important also, because every big fish started out as a small one at one time.

So the next 5-lber you take home might have been a 40-lber 10 years from now.

Sad thing is most of the people who keep everything they catch are not on this forum, and will never be educated....I got to a spot of mine last week and found a 3-lb flathead tied to the bank on a stringer and left to die, I turned him loose...As well as picking up all the beer bottles.

9. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I believe in CPR myself but have no problem in selective harvest either.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guess I should have posted a more adequate thread.. I eat catfish myself. But, I consider CPR a part of the sport that considers alot of variables. Where I live a 30 pound fish is a brute, a 40 a trophy, and 50 plus a fish of a lifetime. Every river is different in each state, and the quality can vary. To me CPR does'n't nessessary release all fish, but be admirable, and understand the system your fishing to determine what is a small to average fish, or a larger one for that watershed. I personally don't keep anything over 10 pounds myself, and only keep what im gonna eat.....NOT what my buddys want! Let them go fishing, if they are capable for their own fish. I'm not taking orders for those that want a freezer full! So, I guess, CPR can stand for alot of things, but to me it stands for ONE word, PRESERVE! And as long as we try to preserve the resource then we are only helping the sport! SO TRY TO BE SELECTIVE, consider your system and the sizes it produces, and keep the ones that are more abundant. You may have 5 more minutes in one more fish to filet, but you may have gained another 5 minutes next time when trying to catch that monster....goodluck......rollo

11. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Im 27 years old and have been fishing for 25 of those.. I've always CPR'd my fish...... Every species.......In the past two weeks I've caught a 33 & 37 pound blue and 2 small flatheads and turned em all loose not 5 min after they were landed. The only fish I keep are Bait or some smallies if my father in law or my dad want some to eat!! I'm steadily trying to pass on the habit to everyone I know. Good luck to all of yall!!

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My grandma use to cpr thread all of the time. Back in the war days they wanted every one to cpr thread . She had a great big ball of it maybe two foot across! lol :eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i practice cpr 95% of the time. every once in a great while i will go out to a pond with intentions of catching a few channels and getting something good to eat. catfish is yummy and noone can deny that.

14. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I do practice CRP on every kind of fishing that I do. I release almost everything that I catch. I know people that keep everything that they catch. That is their decision. I know the holes that I release my fish back I can go back and catch again. I do keep some fish. To me there is nothing better than fresh catfish. But I only keep what I want to eat. I dont try to fill my freezer.

Tom

15. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think that the CPR technique should be practiced by everyone, I havent had much luck yet this year so I havent been able to photo any good fish but hopefully once this wind dies down and its calmer and gets warmer, I will be able to catch some fish and get some pictures on here.

16. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Great post, reps headed your way.

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    All my catches over 300 pounds I keep, anything less goes back to fight another day. lol:wink:

18. bream reaper

bream reaper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I CPR all my cats unless wounded. I see nothing wrong with eating some time to time if a person wants to. However, I believe some States' limits on cats gives the wrong idea to some folks that cats are not over-harvestable.

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    your so right i think their should be a slot limit on all fish for those who think they need to keep everything cought. i believe slot limits would help increase pop and size range for all species. i also do believe fish and game should be more leiant on gut hooked fish, it happens from time to time and they shouldnt nessasairly have to be thrown back to parrish if the fisherperson wants to eat um and their gonna die anyway.

20. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    All the big fish I catch are released back in the river. I do this for all the previously mentioned reasons by other people and because I usually don't want to fool with cleaning fish after being gone for 12 to 15 hrs. and getting home late. On some occasions I do keep some smaller fish for my family or other family members who can't fish. I wouldn't eat a big fish anyway because of contamination from pollution. Those big fish are like swimming thermometers they're so full of mercury.