cpr or dinner table??

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by shanelures, Jun 11, 2009.

keep or release?

1. release all fish

2. release large fish

3. keep all fish

4. other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey, theres a thead on here some people are bickering over. i thought it would be iteresting how many people on here were cpr and how many were not.since there were so many voicing thier opinion on that thread. thanks a million for your replies!! shane

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I keep bluecats around 5 lbs. All the rest goes back. Personal decision!:wink:

3. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I eat 4# or less channels thats it. Not 35# freakin shovelhead!!!!:angry::angry:

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i usually relese evrything i catch but i am going on a trip for MEAT soon and i bet if we catch 100 (fish not lbs. lol) we will be filleting them and making fat bellies with them

5. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

I have said it in many posts.....if the fish is older than me I would probally take a few pictures and release em.....but every fish I get of legal size is food in my world...

6. CatBobJimFish

CatBobJimFish New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    You guys might find this a little odd, but I hate(absolutly HATE) the taste of fish, yet i LOVE fishing.... go figure.

Anyway with the above statement being said, I'm sure you can probably guess that I'm pretty much 100% CPR, except when I'm gonna keep it for bait.... BUT if I did eat fish, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't keep any cats over 10lbs, it's just my way of trying to be responsible, the same as making sure after I leave the area I'm fishing in, it is atleast as clean as it was when I got there.

Having said that, I think I know which thread you're talking about, and I'd be lying if I said I was thrilled about the guy choosing to keep some of those fish, and I'd absolutely love to see a mandatory catch and release law for all big cats established sometime in the near future.....

BUT, he broke no laws, the fish did not go to waste, and he seems to be honest and respectful of other peoples opinions on the subject, so in my opinion I think some of the hassle he's getting in that thread is completely unnecessary and uncalled for, and I definatly feel no need to add my own 2 cents on the subject to that thread.

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I release all fish myself but I'm not a huge fish eater. I do enjoy eating fish now and then but I don't ever fix it myself. I don't really have a problem with others keeping them if they are responsible.

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    i keep it simple. I never take more from the river then I can eat. 99.9% of the time don't keep anything over 10#'s.

I believe in CPR, but at the same time I don't try to push it down others throats. If somebody asks, or has questions about CPR, I'm more then happy to offer my 2 cents. But I also understand people from different parts of the country have different views about catfishing and harvesting. I don't knoodle or trotline or use limblines, But i don't belittle somebody that might like these alternative methods. To each there own. It's about respecting other people's beliefs, instead of bashing somebody for what they do differently from me.

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    99% of the time everything I catch goes back but I do like to clean a mess every once in awhile. Usually nothing over 5lbs. There is too much pollution in the river I fish.

10. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i release all flats andchannels over 10, blues over 15.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I release all flatheads period, if I was gonna clean fish it would be channel cats...But I release them also.

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :002: Roll that mercury in corn flour- serve it up with a side of pcb's and hush poopies..... Mmmmmm, Mmm.:dribble: lol

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'm with you on this Jack. I may keep a couple Channels once a year or so 3lbs & under. Thats out of a clean stocked state lake. I keep nothing out of the Ohio River.....I've got enough health problems without eating anything that comes outta there...:eek:oooh: Or any other river thats connected to it!:crazy: Especially when you see signs that say "untreated sewage may run out here(or something to that effect)"...:crazy::eek:oooh::0a28:

14. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Only have ever kept two catfish, both being under 5 LB and being channels. I would never keep a flathead or a big blue...maybe not even a blue period....and i second not eating anything out of the ohio river lol. :smile2:

15. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    that's great. even so, i eat catfish, usually not from the rivers, I release 98%(by weight) of my fish.

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ohio waterways fail environmental tests
    More Ohio waterways are imperiled by pollution than two years ago, and only one river in the state meets federal clean water standards for swimming, fishing, boating and other recreational uses.
    The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency's analysis, released last week, said the majority of Ohio's rivers, streams and lakes are considered "impaired'' because of high concentrations of bacteria from raw sewage and heavy metals.
    Officials have warned that people should not eat more than one fish meal a month out of the Ohio River because the fish could contain mercury or other contaminants that can cause cancer or other disorders. Authorities also say that on most days the water is not safe for recreational use - like water skiing or swimming - because of high bacteria counts.
    Linda Oros, spokeswoman for the Ohio EPA, said this year's report is worse because the analysis is tougher. Previous reports, she said, did not account for bacteria levels from sewage, or advisories against eating too much fish from polluted waterways.
    The agency compiles the report every two years.
    The report grades watersheds - or geographical drainage areas - because pollutants are washed by rains from farms, roads, junkyards, industry and other sources into watersheds.
    Mike Fremont, president emeritus for Rivers Unlimited, called the report "embarrassing."
    The report found 242 watersheds and 21 large rivers throughout Ohio not meeting federal water quality standards, and in need of a clean-up plan. That's up from 205 watersheds and 15 large rivers identified in its 2002 report. The only stream that complies is the Raccoon Creek in south-central Ohio.
    Andy Buchsbaum, director of the National Wildlife Federation's Great Lakes office, said the problem with the federal law requiring such water quality reports is that it does not force states to clean up the pollution.
    States have a decade to write clean-up plans once a watershed is identified as not meeting standards.

Among the imperiled waterways in the report is the Ohio River, which has pollution from chemicals such as polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and dioxins - among the worlds' most toxic man-made chemicals. PCBs have been linked to a variety of human health problems such as cancer, brain damage and problems with the immune system.
    The river is not suitable for human contact - especially when it rains. That's when raw sewage overflows from outdated systems up and down the river, causing bacteria levels to rise to dangerous levels.

Tennant said PCBs and dioxins have been banned for more than a decade, but still pose a problem in the river because they don't break down over time.
    "It's almost a blast from the past," Tennant said. "We don't know if what we're seeing in fish is from active discharges or stuff that's been around for years."
    Your chances of finding fish from the Ohio River in a grocery store, or on the menu at any restaurant in Greater Cincinnati, are about as slim as a dorsal fin, said John Kinsella, a master chef and instructor at Cincinnati State Technical and Community College.
    Most grocery and restaurant operators won't risk serving fish from the river because most species carry high levels of chemical contaminants. Commercial suppliers are required by the Food and Drug Administration to deliver fish with certificates of origin that tell where the fish were harvested.
    "It's very doubtful that you would come across a fish from the Ohio River, because most people wouldn't buy fish from the Ohio River," Kinsella said. "The risk is just too great. All it takes is one instance of chemical poisoning from tainted fish and you could be out of business.
    "I wouldn't eat anything out of the Ohio River. Would you?"

17. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think this poll should be species divided.

Anyways I voted other..... the reason is I release all flatcats no matter the size from any body of water I fish. I love catfishing but I don't eat them from no where. I do have some elderly friends that do like the occasional catfish dinner so when asked I will provide a mess of eating size channels to them.

While we are on this subect how people notice the pictures at the top of the open forum page that people look like they just hauled a huge fish home just to get a picture? If I forget the camera and I catch a trophy guess what? It goes back in the water with no photo. Just my 2 cents worth.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I voted "other". If I feel like eating a mess of fish, I keep a few real small ones. The mercury is not bad in the "baby" fish.
    Bill in SC

19. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Voted other since I primarily release all fish that I catch (which aint much) since my wife doesnt like fresh fish. That being said if I had to keep and clean I would try to get those fish that are under 10lbs but if I caught one over that I certainly wouldnt pass it up. I really didnt mean to start an argument over the one thread I was just stating an opinion like everyone else I dont agree with everyone and I dont disagree with everyone and I dont hate anyone no matter what they may think.

20. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    did,nt start the thread to get things going again, just thought it would be cool to see how many was catch and release and how many eas not thats all. thanks for the info. i would,nt bash anyone over anything though, shane