CPR on Trophy Cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by price, Dec 22, 2007.

1. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I believe in CPR of all trophy cats no matter what lake or river or what state. Keep smaller cats for the table and let the trophys all go back. I base my belief on the people I have watched, talked to, and fished with through out the years. Here are some of the people on record as feeling the same way and many people will be left off:

LakeNormanBlues
    Tomahawk
    ChrisBlue
    WylieCat
    Mudkip
    Roundhill
    Catfishrus
    The late Ed Davis
    Bill Dance
    Jimmy Houston
    Doug Stange
    Steve Hoffman
    Al Linder
    Jim Moyer
    James "big cat" Patterson
    Phil King
    Tom Evans
    AJ Jenkins
    Jimmy Weir
    Chris Harris
    Alfred Bass
    Don Drose
    Carolinas Catfish Club
    The state of Virginia
    The state of TN
    Santee Cooper, SC
    The state of Texas

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    You can add me to that list if you want to. In the distant past i have keep and eaten larger fish (over 10 pounds) and I just did not care much for the taste. Not that it was bad tasting fish, it just was not as good as the smaller fish. I keep my fair share of small fish. Looking at it from the dinner point of view the smaller the better ( down to a point). If it is big enough to get a fillet from I will keep it for supper but all bigger fish are strictly CPR on my boat. That is what good pictures, measurements and fiber glass replicas are for.:big_smile:
    This is a very sensitive subject and I know others will agree with me and some will disagree with me. That is what makes us who we are and each and every one of us are different. We can just agree to dis-agree.
    Thanks
    David

3. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Life is not easy having a republican and a democrat under the same roof ,however over the years its been proven that its the best way to run a country !
    We [most of the cat fishermen around here] let the small flatheads go , under 20lbs. We work with the D.N.R. to tag these fish , and check our bigger fish for tags and micro chips. We eat the bigger fish , the trick is not to keep a certain size or to large of a amount. The D.N.R. is always watching the populaton and reports it is doing well . In order to keep communications open, several meetings a year are held , the facts are reviewed ,and analysed ,rules are changed ,limits ,methods etc. also are changed , we try to do whatever we have to ,to preseve the sport and the fish . The biggest difference is they outlawed commercial fishing For flatheads on our sytem. Now I'm talking about the backdoor fish fry guy, as much as the guys with nets .Some of our meetings get alittle heated ,emotions run alittle hot , but we get err done , at the end .
    Last season I kept 4 flatheads , 107lbs live about 42 lbs dressed. I released 5 about 70lbs live wt. One of my flathead fish frys takes about 8-10 lbs.
    I will be gone for a few days to see the family for Christmas ,I

would love to defend my position as soon as I get back. WISHING YOU AND YOURS A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is not a catch vs release post from me...But personally I have realeased every catfish I have caught for the past 30 years, the bigones so they can spawn, the little ones to grow big..Especially flatheads.

5. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    add catfishrollo... i have talked in many posts about cpr...good thread! rollo

7. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    add me to the list all i do it picture them and let you guys see them let them go

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
  9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Please add my name to the list..... been doing that for years....
    Even with out the camera..... :wink:

Gilmafam......Bayrunner Ray

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yea right..... I know for a fact that you sell your Flatheads to that Paypuddle down the road! :big_smile::wink:

Just kidding. I'm w/ Flathunter, CPR for me. I'm not one of those guys who get mad about people keeping some channels, but I for one release them all.

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    but...

you paid the fee for a license so you should be able to do what you want with the fish you catch within the limits of the law...and...

maybe I'm wrong especially with the heated debate about flatheads decimating the native fish in our local rivers and lakes...

But I know how much I enjoyed the fight and i want future generations to enjoy that...

so i CPR!!!

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...you paid the fee for a license so you should be able to do what you want with the fish you catch within the limits of the law..."

What is legal and what is rigth are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!

Just because our governent says it is legal does not neccesarily make it the right thing to do. Laws do change as people become more educated more socially conscience about what is best for all of us.

Right now the catfish laws are in a state of change, or at least examination. "Old school" ways of thinking are starting to change as peolpe become more educated about management of catfish populations.

Keep your minds open for what is best in the big picture!!

13. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    As far as keeping fish to eat, the smaller are the better. Large fish have higher levels of toxins in their body's. So for health reasons along with the promotion of trophy cat fisheries eat the fish under 10lbs, let the 10+lb fish go to grow.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can add me to your list. I have released all cats for the last 15years. If we want our grandchildren to be able to catch or see a trophy cat, we have to start preservation now. CPR all the way. Thanks.

15. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    You can add me to the list.

I release about 98% the fish that I catch. (a few small ones for friends get kept here and there)

16. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Add me to the list I have allways CPR Big fish ,the 5 to 6 pounders taste better and are easier to fillet and fit better on sandwich bread.:wink:

17. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    you can also add me to the list

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I release almost all of my catfish. I've kept maybe 10 since I was in high school. Most of them were for other people who told me they wanted some catfish to eat. I work at a fish house and a catfish farm so I have all the catfish I want to eat right in front of me:wink: No need to keep anything when there's plenty of dead fish right there on the counter.

19. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    wooh!

don't misunderstand me...

like i said in my post...I CPR ALL CATS THAT I CATCH....and in courage all my fellow cat fisherman to do the same...

in all my fishing report posts I include pictures that show the cats being released...

but until the laws are changed (which I am in total favor of) cpr is not a law...

so in theory there are no laws being broke but there is a definite morality issue when a resource as fragile as the cats are being abused...

20. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

This might be true. BUT, because a commision, agency or state gov't saw fit to make it legal, that makes it a personal CHOICE that nobody here will chastise anyone else about. Kinda like smoking, drinking and a few other nice things some of us may or may not do. I told someone recently that when I see posts bashing someone for keeping big fish, or hurting big fish it surely reminds me of another big organized bunch of idiots we all despise. PETA. It's OK to tell someone there is a better way, but not to tell them they are stupid for doing something that is totally their choice. I CPR, most of my friends CPR but that's because we choose to do so. Not because anyone else says I have to because they think I should. Keep in mind that anytime you bully someone into your way of thinking, you give me and every other catfisherman a bad name. If you want the laws changed, take your voice to the people that matter, not by bashing individual fishermen that don't agree with you. And most definately not our members. Your cause is a good one, but there are times the methods chosen here on the board to deliver the message is not. I pulled the thread on shocking flatheads because it turned into a bickering contest. If someone wants to start it again, that's fine but keep it a friendly civil discussion or it will disappear again. Thanks.