CPR large catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by gcarlin, Jun 13, 2007.

CPRING

1. KEEP LARGE CATS?

2. RELEASE LARGE CATS?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I WAS JUST WONDERING,SOME PICTURES THAT I'VE SEEN HERE ON BOC ARE WITH LARGE CATS TAKEN HANGING FROM TREES,NEXT TO BOATS OR LAYING ON THE GROUND.SO HERES MY QUESTION: IF WE ALL BELEIVE IN CPRING LARGE CATS THEN ARE THESE CATS BEING RELEASED BACK TO THE WATERS OR KEPT? MYSELF, I TEND TO ONLY KEEP SMALLER CATS AND RELEASE ALL LARGE ONES AFTER I TAKE MY PICTURES.LOL WAS JUST CURIOUS. NOT TRYING TO START ANYTHING OR OF THE SORTS. EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN PREFFENCES. BUT I HAD TO ASK

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    the one you see in the pic was the exception to the rule. i tend to release anything over 10-15lb to make more little fishies.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Since Ive never caught anything over 10lbs I would release after some pics

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I release most over 8-10#'s ,but i dont think theres anything wrong if someone wants to keep a big occasionally.
    Chip

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I personally release every cat i catch, unless its been gut hooked, which is rare. We have only channel cat up here, there are no fishing regulations on them and no stocking programs for them. Unfortunately in this state they are regarded by most as trash fish, up here trout and salmon are the most sought after fish. To me the catfish is king, and i do everything i can to promote cpr of catfish in this state. To me they are a limited resource so i treat them as gold.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I release all cats over 10#, and 99% of em over 5#.

Only keep the smaller ones when I'm in the mood for some grub.

7. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Unless we were desperate for food, I'd release.
    No doubt, if I ever catch anything that big, it'd be tempting to keep... but then I'd remember that sick feeling that comes when lookin at dead critters mounted on somebody's wall. A photograph is enough :smile2:

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    CPR is a management technique,not a religion!!!!!:smile2:Regardless of the species, CPR is not the only answer everywhere.In waters where catfish are properly managed by the GFD of the state,or where overly abundant then CPR might not be desirable.We of course as fishermen can make this decision for ourselves and do.I personally release everything unless someone wants some to eat or when fishing with a guide at Santee.There we will keep all fish under 15lbs or so to reduce the overcrowded fish population while protecting the trophys.Overcrowding and stunting of populations to me is just as serious as killing all the trophies.A little research as to what is going on in your waters can help make the right decision for you and sometimes CPR is NOT the answer.I am pleased to see however, that more and more members are researching their waters and are concerned with proper management regardless of what is required.We have many more intelligent discussions and debates these days instead of strident finger pointing confrontations as we used to.:lol::smile2:I do have to laugh however at how we all say "I'm not trying to start anything with this"":lol:

9. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Well i have never got one of the Monsters YET!!! But when i do i will probably CPR and try to get a replicate of it.

10. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I release 99.9% of the fish that I catch.

I only wish hunting were the same since I dont have time to cook for myself most of the time and my wife wont touch "wild" meat.I dont kill what I cant eat so my hunting is limited.

11. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I CPR all of my fish with the exception of a few small ones(under 5#s on an occasion! See My signature!

12. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    This flathead season my bro. ,myself ,and 2 neighbors ,have released 8 flats under 15#s. A friend of ours who works for the D.N.R. has tagged and inserted a scan chip on all these fish . This is part of a ongoing study the D.N.R. is doing on the flathead population on this system . Setliners and bankpolers ( a setliner also) are working with the DNR to help compile this information. The DNR are presently using hoop nets to capture the flats , they use a small female inside the net ( for bait) really piles them in . This info size,weight, sex, origian ,age etc. is made available to the puplic.
    PAGE 2--- My bro. caught a 47 # female , no eggs !!, The DNR people took the skeleton for more detailed study ! They think it was past its prime and unable to produce eggs ,she had some sqwiggley tissue where the eggs should have been , they quessed her at over 25 years old, she was 46 1/2 inchs long. 21 1/2 #of meat came from this fish. A 18,43 , 2- 16lb fish were kept for eating from the same people ,myself included. All these fish have been scanned and all other data collected . the 43# was a female and here eggs were also saved for study. PAGE 3 --- What is to be learned from the study ,What has to be done to keep a healthy population ,What regulations help or hinder ,tracking their age,sizes ,sexs and habitates etc, etc. So far the only advice they are giving is --( dont target a certain size or weight .--) Use more channels for fish frys they are more abuntant . On a large fish we expect a yield of 40% . Sorry for the rambling ,but its not a sin to eat a large fish .

13. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i only keep 1 large fish a yr and i keep smaller ones all the time mostly to putin my pond esp channels or blues i do have about 3 20 lb blues in my pond and i have people i let fish inmy pond for just the smaller one anything over5 lbs they have to throw back. and i wont put anyflatsi n mypond causei have so many bream in there that a couleof flats would clean mypond in a couple ofyrs

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

depends i geuss most of them i release and then there are a few every year i keep no matter how big they are one 50 pound flathead will last for a long while after that i dont keep anymore

15. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION,NOT THAT I DISAGREE WITH KEEPING A LARGE CAT FOR EATING ,OR AM I SAYING THAT EVERYONE HAS TO CPR.

16. schuetz

schuetz New Member

State:
    kansas
    my cousin and a friend of ours pulled this one in last year, and it fed our whole family and a few friends. we have a big family, so we tend to keep some of the bigger ones. nothing gets wasted.

Attached Files:

17. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    VERY NICE FISH. NOTHING WRONG WITH TAKING A BIG ONE FOR EATING,JUST CAN'T SEE TAKING ONE JUST FOR DOING SOO.THX

18. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i catch my fish to eat so if i get a big one im gonna fry that sucker
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    ('')_('')

19. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I release all the catfish that I catch.

20. irishpride42

irishpride42 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Couple for a fry and release about 85% of them!