CPR in my opion

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by perrycounty.in, Aug 20, 2009.

1. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I went down to the mouth of the anderson river today to fish. Ended up talkin to an older feller in his 80's. NO Fish. This man used to fish there at least 3 to 4 times a week as long as he could remeber. He said he hardly fishes it anymore because all the "commercial fishin had killed the ohio" . He said on any given day he could go there and at least catch 1 over 20# and catch fish all day or night, then the commercial boats began to come and clear all the fish out, one boat told him they were catchin around 1000#s of catfish a day, one from INdy one from Evansville and one from Cincy.

I felt for the man, he was really tore up about it and it began to depress me the more he talked about it.

CPR is a must for us and our children to enjoy what we do have left in my opion. We can play a big part in our sport by doing this.

Just thougt id get that off my chest

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I compare your story to the whitetail deer in northern PA. We have pics at our camp that go back almost 40 years. It was nothing to see five, six, seven deer hanging from the front porch.

Fast forward 40 years. 15 guys out in the woods, some from dark to dark and we're lucky to drag in ONE. Most guys don't even see deer.

People shot the hell out of them for decades, killed off as many doe as they could shoot, poached them in the off season, and now we wonder, where are all the deer?

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-hunting, anti-fishing, etc. I think it's a God given right to harvest meat for your freezer or put fish in the frying pan.

We cannot continue like this fellas. Not for very long anyway.

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Like I said... it's an extermination program that is working. couple that with the sub progams of no limit, t & L lining, jugging, etc.... with the pressure of today.... It won't be long until bait will be all that's left.... Just as our state fishery biologists have it planned.

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the problem is simple. there are plenty of fish in some places and not enough in others. people, mainly city a holes, think they do not need to listen to biologists by region. if it is ok for joe to take 25 it is ok for city nuts to take 25. you have to look at each location and see how many fish there are. people from the city no longer even think there are private property rights. go camping today and watch the people. you can say what you want but the people in the cities are gonna run this land in the ground. i hope you like rice, as the chinese are gonna feed you all you want.

5. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    The indiana fishing regulations book states that it is illegal to take any fish from indiana waters and sell them. So why do commercial fisherman get away with this? A rule is a rule and was set for all, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish the DNR would get the lead out and put a stop to the commercial fishing. Dont get me started, Im ready to snap.:angry:

6. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You gotta wonder if there are any lobbyists for sport fishing organizations (like those that sponsor the big bass tournaments) in the State House pushing for more of the same non-regulation of catfishing and other "non-sport" fishing. After all, if trophy cats gets sparse, maybe more fishermen will take up bass fishing? There is a metric buttload of money in the bass fishing industry, whereas we catfishermen tend to lean toward thrifty self-sufficience, making our own gear where we can and otherwise making do, not buying every flashy new trinket they can get Jimmy Huston and Kevin Van Damm to promote.

7. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    WHAT??????:eek:oooh::dribble:

8. perrycounty.in

State:
    Indiana

Tuffish i take it you have had problems with chinese city folk tresspassin on your land lately?:confused2:

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    first off i completely agree with everyone. commercial fishermen piss me off!!! but if you read into the rules and read into getting a commercial license you will see that it is legal to sell fish caught in the state of indiana as long as you possess a commercial license. i wish the dnr would ban commercial fishermen but unfortunately politics then comes into play and commercial fishermen gave the state a lot of money just in the license alone. so as long as the state is making money they could care less what we all think

10. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    :crazy::crazy::crazy: i would love to see dnr ban commerical fishing it is not up to them it is up to lawmark that does not give a shyt about catfish just along as the bassfishermen are giving them money to protect the bass

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It's not the revenue from the commercial lic. thats important. it is the huge contribution commercial catfishing makes to the catfish eradication program.
    It's akin to an exterminator paying you to rid your house of cockroaches.
    Catfish are Cockroaches of the fishery in a fishery biologists view....

12. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    someone wanna call discovery channel?? they may fund our new tv series! i can see it now " tuesdays at 8" " Catfish Wars" !!! if someones doing it for the whales, why not catfish?? :smile2::smile2:

13. perrycounty.in

State:
    Indiana
    Good idea we could take huge ropes and drive in front of their boats to foul there props and throw acid on their boats so they can't sell the meat

I could see this going places :big_smile:

CATFISH WARS it is call em up!

14. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You mean i could fight...:eek:oooh:

No One Will Talk Me Out Of It!!!!!!!:big_smile:

YEAH!!!!:smile2:

15. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    will get on a jon baot and throw stink bait at commerical fishermen boats :smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i sure wouldnt want to be grouped with those freeks! they are messing with legal Japanese fishermen. its a wonder they havent just been sunk! what we need is law changes!!! our contaminated river fish have no business on the tables of unsuspecting families!!!!!!!!!! what happened with the petition going around for this anyhow?

dont get me wrong here guys. i feel for you members down south where its legal for commercial fishermen to destroy the population. up here its not legal but the pay lake crap,along with the economy is making it an issue. last year there were 2 guys from ohio running lines on a local indiana river. they didnt have indiana licenses, and some very good looking nice individual, set them up for the fall. lmao i hate to think of the poor people feeding their kids 40# flathead meat. hell that should be attempted murder rite there.lol this river is nasty to say the least!!!

i wish you guys luck on the "catfish wars". that is about what you need though to bring this to the public eye! times will change, it will just take time.

17. perrycounty.in

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah the put out warnings on how many fish you can eat in a certain time period out of the ohio all the time. Then all these fish end up in resturants and stores. It ought to have a warning label on it.
    I think I read somewhere where they don't recomend eating catfish over 16" out of the river. You think these fisherman throw the bigger fish back because of this haha hell no. Most familes probally wouldn't buy it if they knew this.