CPR DEER

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by catoon, Jan 3, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i was wondering what yall think about harvesting 1 deer per season and cpr ing the rest.this i mean to say use a high power dart gun with tranqualizer photo yourself and your catch then let the deer go .what yall think about this idea. would this help build the population or hurt it?

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I just do not want hunting to turn into some game. Hunting's tradition runs deep with me and a lot of people. I do not hunt to have a pic to hang up it, it is deeper than that. It works for rhinos that are endangered, so rich guys can get their "Big 5". I just don't want it for deer, I think that the trauma would be too much.

3. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    The insurance companies here in Iowa would throw a complete and total hissy fit.

I remember when I first started hunting back in the early 80's most of the license that were issued were buck only. If you got an any sex tag you were sitting on top of the world. With the rut over during shotgun season and very few does shot that ment come spring there would be a bummper crop of bambies. Now we are overpopulated...which is a good thing for those of us who like eating deer. A resident in Iowa can purchase as many antlerless tags as they wish. One county has a quota of 5400 antlerless tags to be purchased.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    LOL,,
    I think It'd be great,,, Great white hunter taking a pic when deer wakes up and knocks the crap out of him or her... LOL

5. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
  6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I don't think we want tranquilizers strong enough to put down a #250 deer in the hands of the general public. I seen on one of the hunting shows that a buck will have a hard time making through the winter if he has to breed more than about 7 does during the rut. They said they spend to much energy and can't build it back up enough to survive the winter. Don't know how much truth there is to it. In Kansas you are only allowed one buck anyway, but you can take 4 doe also.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    C.P.R. = Cajun Powder Rub.

8. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
  9. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    i think that is the stupidest idea i ever herd

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When I hunt....I hunt for meat. I never kill any more than what I need. Usually 2 deer per year, sometimes 3. When I fish, I fish for trophies, CPR 99% of all fish. I keep a very good supply of game in the freezer. I simply dont think a deer should be shot if your not going to eat it or know someone who wants it. The whole shoot them with a dart thing....well...Hey thats a cool looking hat you got there!!!!!:wink:

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I couldnt agree more,Reps for you.

12. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Our family hunts for meat as well not horns. If you don't want to kill it, take a picture, and don't shoot. Simple as that. If he's close enough to kill he's probably close enough to capture on file or film :)

13. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In my home state, Indiana, we are allowed "bonus anterless deer" tags above and beyond our regular buck tags. Depending on the county you live in, in mine I can take 1 buck, + 4 does. This is done for a reason, to control disease, localized population, and prevent starvation. At one time it was so bad they opened certain state parks to draw hunts to weed out the sickly deer and reduce the local population. It works, we have bigger, healthier whitetails now. If it wasnt for this program, we would be overrun with sickly, starving deer. With the lack of natural preditors in this state, we, the hunters, become natures natural selection.

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Bad idea. How much stress does it put on that deer to be tranquilized? A lot of them would still die. They would get so messed up from the tranquilizer, or they would wake up dazed and get hit by cars (like that doesn't already happen enough).

Around here we are overrun with deer as it is. We dont need a bunch of people shooting them just to let them go. We can shoot 12 deer per season (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun/rifle), 10 does, and 2 bucks if you buy a "bonus antlered deer" stamp for the second buck. That's 36 per person, per year. This doesn't include the "crop damage" permits the farmers get. If we started letting them go, we'd have sick and starving deer from the overpopulation. Bad idea the way I look at it.

15. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Not only would the stress on the deer be too much, But the public outcry about "hunters" drugging deer would be horrible.

16. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Whitetail rehab! :smile2:

17. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Great now that you said that, I bet MTV is shooting the pilot:smile2::smile2: It will be on next fall.

18. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Very bad idea. Say someone goes out and "shoots" a buck with a dart, takes the Hero of the Day pics, and lets the deer go. Next day you shoot the deer for real and eat the meat that has the tranq. in it. Not a good situation. Or look at it from the other hand. Same deer gets "shot" the first day, they you "shoot" it again with a dart. There is such a thin line with these drugs, too little and it wont knock em out, too much and they die. If a deer gets shot again within a week of being drugged, its more than likely going to die. Obviously you cant eat the meat, so its wasted.

In this age of video games and the "I want it now and it better not hurt anything" mentality, we cannot let this "Hollywood" train of thought seep into our long and storied history of hunting. First it was the deal where you could have a remote controlled gun and live feed camera on a ranch in Texas and shoot a deer from the comfort of your house. COME ON.

If you cant handle the fact that hunting is an outdoor sport that might just involve something dying, maybe you should rethink your choice of recreational activities. Face the facts: your gonna get cold, your gonna get wet, your gonna get dirty, your gonna get blood under your fingernails, something must die.

19. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    thks atleast you didnt call me STUPID lol lmao :crazy::smile2: 223 ill be waiting in hi for ya

20. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Holy crap, is there any deer left there? You need more hunters up there if you have bag limits like that and still have overpopulation problem.