CPR and Proper Handling of Large Fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Dreadnaught, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    First off I would like to start buy saying CPR is not a way of life, It is a choice!!!
    When a person manages to catch a large fish (20+lbs) and decides that they want to release it. Keep in mind that, the fish needs to be handled as little as possible, handled properly and, released as soon as possible to insure a better rate of survival.
    Of course these are just my takes on how they should and shouldn't be handled.
    Get the fish to the boat asap (or as fast as he will let you, LOL)!!! This will cut down on stress levels in the fish.
    Always hold a fish in a manner that gravity will do the least damage (they come from a ZERO gravity world). Support the head and belly of the fish while getting pics.
    One should never put his fingers or any other object in the gill area. Gill plates are not fish holding handles!!! Holding a large fish by his gill plates is the same as someone grabbing you by the lungs and holding you up off the ground. How well would you be able to breath if someone did that to you? (this is one of my pet-peaves)
    Taking pics, weighing, measuring and all shouldn't take more than a few minutes and he is swimming back to his home.

PS. If you are going to keep the fish do it any way you want, this pretains to catch and release!!!

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    PSS> I forgot to say that if you had anything else to add feel free to do so.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  4. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    VERY TRUE FELLOW BROTHER,AS FAR AS THE CPRING,IT IS A CHOICE THAT MORE AND MORE FISHERMEN AND WOMEN ARE CHOOSING TO RELEASE THOSE TRORHY FISH FOR FURTHERING OUR FISHING FOR GENERATIONS TO COME.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    One more thing you forgot to add. Before releasing those big bruisers, transport them to my home waters, then release them.:cross:
    Ok, I'll go sit in my corner and shut-up.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great post Brother!!! I wish I'd get lucky enough to CPR a big catfish. This year i've CPR'ed tons of smaller ones. I usually fish the Ohio river so everything gets thrown back. A couple of my spots are right by sewer treatment outlets so I don't keep any.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    if I might add, its a good idea to weigh the larger cats in the net or a cradle. This way there entire body will be supported By the net/cradle. I feel that quite a bit if damage can Be done to a large cat By hanging it by its lower jaw on a scale.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have been trying different ways to hold a 30 or 40+ lb fish to let him recuperate, let me recuperate lol, keep him from going straight back to the hole and killing the bite, and giving me time to get the scale and camera set up before I pull him out for weighing and photos. I used to put them on a stringer but that method just rubbed me the wrong way. I don't like going thru the gillplate, and I hate piercing their lower jaw just for a snapshot. The gills can be damaged easily and poking a hole thru opens up a fish to infections that can lead to its death. I began using a keep sack I made out of a 4 by 6 ft minnow siene. Just sewed the two ends together then sewed the bottom, both with 50lb mono. It works great for 20 and under fish I have put up to 3 18 to 25lb fish in it. They don't fight each other or thrash around much. But they will be very fiesty in the morning when you try to lip them lol. This year I bought a duck decoy bag thats made of fine cloth mesh its 47x60 inches. I could get 3 40lb range fish in it if I ever need to lol. I just get the bags wet before placing the fish in so the dry bag wont scrape off their slime-coat. Then I just tie them to a cleat and let them get their strength back. They come out healthy and ready to fight another day.

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    if i might add what i have learned. dont get divorced. she'll take your camera.:crazy: i should have CPR'd her!

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I like that Idea, that would be better than releasing the fish and not knowing if it is going to make it or not. I Hate Waste!!!!!!

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    On very large fish, I would recomend that folks use a landing net to weigh their fish in so, gravity doesnt rearrange their insides.

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Just one correction... Its not actually a zero gravity world, its a world where there entire weight is evenly supported and they are not used to having the weight that they carry (be it 1/2 lb or 72 1/2 lbs) creating pressure on them.

If your going to handle the fish w/ anytype of glove or rag or what ever... wet it first so that it doesn't remove the slime or remove as much of the slime. Also carry a pair of pliers on your belt so your not searching around the entire boat for minutes looking for where you put them while the fish is being deprived of oxygen (not quite as important w/ catfish as it is w/ trout but its still nice to keep them out as little as possible)

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont target trophy fish as a rule but this year i got some good tips on how to fish my home lake and ive been doing pretty good.ivecaught several good fish and i had one die on me trying to find some scales large enough to weigh the fish.i got me some scales from coffey and now i pull them up about 2 ft.on the bank.i weigh them quickly put my ice chest behind them for contrast take their picture and slide them back into the water.takes less than 5 min.and to my noledge i havent lost another good fish.ps i do eat smaller fish just not over 10 lbs.