CPR and Cloning

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Netmanjack, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I want to present you with a question. Cloning is a real and viable option these days. Recently the FDA has given their nod to our enjoyment and consumption of cloned food products. My question is merely this. How will this affect your perspective and practice of CPR? Will it influence your stance on the practice of CPR one way or the other? You know that the sport of baseball looks down on the advancement of aluminum bats as opposed to wood because of the long-standing records, but then football doesn’t seem to care about the differences between astroturf and sod. So with this advancement in generic engineering, how do you think it will influence the fishing world? Will a record fish that may be cloned stand up to an old world record, state or personal one, if you knew that the species would be promulgated by artificial means? We all, who are the ones that practice CPR, do so in an effort to preserve the sport for future anglers. What if, and it’s not a big if at this point in time, we could be promised big fish for the future by way of cloning. Would this in any way influence your ideas and practices in the act of CPR?

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    It would influence me at all Jack since I dont usually keep the ones I catch anyways. From what most of the people that have eaten the bigguns they say they dont taste as good. Good post Jack see ya Sunday :big_smile:

3. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    With fish, environment and food supply play the primary role in size of fish. I see no practical application of cloning to sport fishing in the wild. It may help in fish farming but my crystal ball is kinda cloudy today.:wink:

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mike, that is a very good point, but don't natural fish face the same diversities?

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    nope still gonna put the bigens back

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Jack, you need to get out of the house brother, LOL!!! Do you honestly think that they are gonna spend that kind of money to help with the catfish populations in our rivers and lakes... Come on!!! According to most folks, our rivers are overflowing with 70+lb catfish and there is no need to change the way things are going cause we will never run out of them as fast as they are growing, LOL!!!

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    OK JW, Then why do you CPR?

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Jack, Jack, Jack!!!! I was being a bit sarcastic, LOL!!!!!

9. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    These cloning and genetically engineering discussions get hot in one heck of a hurry. God gave us the earth and all things upon it.
    In my opinion, i don't think that he meant for us to genetically manipulate a catfish no more than he meant for us to bring back the wooly mammoth from a frozen corpes. Thats gettin into gods work and that should be left to god, not you and I or any whacko scientist tryin to get his name in the record books. I'm not tryin to anger anyone, this is just my opinion.

I would like to thank my wife for helping me with this post!

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Me too! lmao:eek:oooh::crazy::smile2::wink:

11. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    She can put the words together in five minutes.
    I would have been here all night.LOL:wink:

12. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    If you mean genetic diversity, then yes, fish have that, but still fish size is determined by local water conditions and food supply. For example: Smallmouth Bass in lower Jacks Fork might reach 12" in 4 years, in the headwaters of the same river it might take 7 years to achieve that same 12". The main difference is the fertility of the water. A fish may have a genetic predisposition for larger size than another but if it can't get the food supply, it would remain stunted. To get that fish to its maximum size you would have to raise it in captivity to control the variables.

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I dont know much about cloning. Got mix thoughts on it. Sometimes its not nice to fool with Mother Nature. :eek:oooh:
    Only thing I see cloning of any kind that might be good for is, a food source and health/medical needs. Both under controlled environment. Pay ponds. LOL.
    Cloning fish for record or just the fun of a huge fish on the line. I'm not sure I would wont that in my lake. They might start over populating and eat all my eaters. LOL. Maybe Bass pro will start letting us catch out of their big tanks.:roll_eyes:

besides, it's kind of on the same line the paid ponds and those hunting place's that have controlled deer population. next thing will be cloned deer for trophies. LOL. You go out, pick your buck by price. Dang near tie em to a stake. Already got fenced places that do that, - the cloning part. LOL. I still like the natural way. Plus people might not give a care about lakes, woods etc. ( already a problem with that ) cause they will be thinking waste dont matter any more, they will make more.
    I dont care much on cloning for sport. I do like the singing fish they sale at Wal Mart. "Take me to the river, drop me in the water. " LOL.:smile2:

Also
    I usually fish for eaters. mainly cause I love eating fresh, in the wild catfish and it helps offset the expense . There is usually more action and I got a little ADHD in me. Sometimes its hard to sit still. LOL. Guess that's why I like bream fishing. Those guys are easy to catch and fun.
    Now and then I throw something out for the big guys.:tounge_out:
    If I was to catch a large cat like I see in some pics on BOC, I would CPR it. They dont taste as good and have more chemicals and I have learned to respect the trophy hunters who do it right, (CPR). Most times I dont weight my catch, I eyeball it. Since being on BOC ,Now days I do carry a scale with me for the just in case. never know whats going to bite. If the eyeball says it's a big guy, I'll put it on the scales. :wink:

What ever happens, I hope good fishing will always be around for everybody.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    wont affect me much at all. i dont catch a ton of huge fish. mostly channel cats in the 2 to 13-14 lb range. i eat them so i keep some. when the freezor is looking good and i can have fish to last through the winter i go for the fun and release them. i tippically release the ones with eggs. and untill someone tells me that the pop is in serious jepordy i will continue. channel cats are abundant in most wateres here.

i have to say if were gonna continue to expand the human race as fast as we are now we need to do something. from some of the shows ive seen lately on the history channel that have some smart recherchers working on them were quickly running out of resources. oil food ect...... using it faster than it can re new. and if were gonna use corn for fuel we need to plant a hell of a lot more witch means less trees less oxygen ect... ya i think cloning beef pork chickens to produce faster and better. go for it.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i agree with most points about fooling with M/N but if we dont on this level future generations may starve.

they could even engineer clones to produce more meat with less food intake saving grain rescources,like purebred rabbits i raise reach butcher weight more efficiently than cross bred mongrals do. clones may do that as well by selecting strong healthy doners.