Coyotes

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by crricha13, Jul 13, 2006.

1. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    anyone know how to get them to come to you or how to kill em haha, im form danville va and there around here and chatham which is 15 mins away says if u bring em one dead of alive they give u 100 bucks a piece :) any info is appreciated

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

wow a 100 bucks is pretty high growing up we got 15 each. The way we did it to protect the chickens was easy a spot light and a tape player with the sound of baby rabbit "crying" on it. I didn't care for it to much but my dad liked his chickens and I liked my behind so I did kill a few.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    LOL! Sounds like you made the right choice!

4. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    BSP and Cabelas have alot of calls that work.

5. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I trapped coyotes for extra cash for many years. Used customized leg hold traps so as not to damage to foot/leg. Sold lots of them to fox running pens down here for 100 bucks a pop. I stopped this spring when everyone decided to get together, and only pay 75. It is not worth my time now with the cost of gas, lure, bait, and urines, giving them shots, feeding etc. There are many calls you can use to get one in every now, and then, mouth blown, or electronic with discs or tapes. Advise good concealment, cover scent, and try position yourself to take advantage of any wind. Watching a draw station (dead carcasses) will also nail some. Be sure to check all your state and local game laws to be sure any of this is legal in your area. If you don't smell bad when you come home, like a skunk, redfox pee, or rabbit pee add more to help cover that human scent. Tip: don't go in any vehicle your wife of girlfriend has to ride in! Good luck to you. Take care, Jack. :smile2:

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    georgiajack thats strange that you sell the coyote to the fox pens when i heard the coyote will run the foxes off. we have coyotes starting around here now and i believe the fox hunters have turn them loose. like i said before we use to have alot of foxes but i cannot remember the last one i saw or even run over around my house. i maybe wrong about the fox hunters releasing the coyote but they are the only ones that would benefit from them being here.

7. cschottfish

cschottfish New Member

State:
    Ofallon, Mo.
    If you or some one you know has a farm with a lake on it this is what my grategrandpa thaugh me, may not need the lake. Catch a mess of fish for a fish fry and take the remains 2 fence post a smal bell and a peace of 1/4" rope. We had a good size lake so a 100 yards below the dam we would drive the post in the ground 10 to 15 feet a part and tie a peace of rope between them add a small bell, then take hooks he had and hang the fish on them. Then we would wait till abought a 1/2 hour before dark and get set up 100 yards above the fish. We found that if you dont shine the light right on them you had time to get a shot or to befor they caught on.

8. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    thanx alot, im thinking about tryn it out this weekend sit somewhere and do i spotlight it or what when i hear it?

9. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    Hunting coyotes can be some great hunting. First like all hunting camo would be nice to have. Gloves and a facemask would be nice to have, and while coyote hunting always make sure you know the way the wind is blowing. As for getting them in, any distress call would be good, a lot of companys make good calls. The electronic calls are also a way to go. The guns you can use to shoot them would be any smaller end center fire rifle, like a 223 or 243. If shotguns is what you want to use then a 12 gauge with #4 buck can do the trick on them. When hunting them try to keep the movement down and the noise. A lot of times they can pick you up and leave before you even know they were there. I am no expert on coyote hunting and you probebly already new this stuff but i hope it helped a little.

10. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    brian sax: thats some excellent info. 100% true. I use my 22lr and compound bow instead of centerfires. I like the challenge of getting close.

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I use a predator call, and a centerfire rifle. Something in the .22 family of centerfire is a good choices. Coyotes are pretty skittish so sometimes making a long shot is a must.

12. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Young Mr. Richardson;
    Just remember, some of us "Coyotes" are expert shots and we shoot back! :cool2:
    That is all I have to say.
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

13. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    get yourself a redhead howler and a dying rabbit, there are some randy anderson truth dvds you can get also that tell you the basics of usin the calls, PRACTICE IS ESSENTIAL as they know if its a human or not(in my area). the rifle of my choice is a .223, you'll need full camo atleast the torso and legs, scent cover is also essential even when there is wind, find yourself somewhere with a dead cow or just somewhere where you know they are usually at, start howlin for a while then try the dying rabbit then the howler right after, it helps if you have 2 people calling cuz you can make it sound like there are 2 yotes fightin or maybe one yote killin a pup, you can also do a serendading challenge to get the resident pack come in, a pack usually has 5 or 6 minimum and thats $600 right there:D. thats about all i know, let me know how you do!!!

14. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't care about getting close. Dead yodel dogs are all that matters. The dang things killed off most of our ground hogs and rabbits and drive the foxes off. They've been whacking little pigs and calves of the farmers and they are fairly hard on the young fawns. They even come into our yards and kill cats (their only redeeming feature in my book) and dogs. I will put a bullet in them any time I see one. Send 'em all back west of the Mississippi. 10 yds or 400 yds, doesn't matter. My $.02 worth.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    1'st I would find "they"and make sure of any details that I needed to know to collect my money.The "theys"are often the most elusive game of all to find.Any time that you can get the wind in your face and put a river,lake,large open field or anything at your back that will keep a animal from circling to pick up your scent,you have a great stand or blind.Try to make any changes in the area(blind,stand,etc.) a couple weeks ahead of time.You notice your yard.This is theirs.Try to avoid leaving any scent trail to your stand or blind if at all possible.Any movement or noise is a no no.Plan your eating and drinking ahead of time so that you can be empty and slightly dehydrated while hunting.You do not want to have to foul your area by going to the bathroom,passing gas or even your stomach rumbling when it is still.Many hunters go to all the trouble to descent their clothes and use a covering scent.They will urinate ,spatter their footwear and track their scent everywhere they go all day.Urine oder is almost imposable to hide or cover.My lap dog can and will track them.Eating and drinking is a no no.Much food and drink is made to smell good with enhancers to attract you.You are blowing a nose horn for a animal.The Chlorine in city water is worse as far as smell.Buy you a cheap jug of "distilled water"at the grocery store to sip.It will absorb oder.Keep the lid on tight and it will last for months if you do not drink from the jug.Avoid drinking.Sip if you must.That water has got to come out sometime.You might want to come back again.You will be checked out by every animal in the neighborhood after you leave.This is experience from living in the woods along the Santee as a kid.I smelled,heard and saw these "woodsmen".Some I could tell what they had for breakfast.If I could smell and notice these things,you better believe that animal can.If you cain;t let the bugs bite,the itch go unscratched,hold the cough,the sneeze and freeze without moving,you better practice until you can.Then you have to attract it,shoot it or catch it.If it is live delivery,you better be able to handle a wild,mean,German Sheppard or you cain;t handle a Coyote,or perhaps a pack at once.You also have to have all the paperwork that your state requires.I have handled one live Coyote in my life to release her from a freak trapping because she had milk which means she had pups to starve.City folk talked me in to it.That thing tried to eat me alive.It scratched me up and tore my shirt off with its feet while I held it to be untangled.It was dangling helplessly off the side of a boat on a trailer in a drive.It had got hooked and looped in a 12 foot shark leader while in the boat!I went to help with a "stray or wild dog".Ha! Yes I am trying to discourage you.If I can,you don;t want to hunt or catch Coyotes.Live ones can hurt,cripple or even kill you with a blood vessel or Rabies.I caught wild hogs alive with dogs in my youth.I think the Coyote could be just as dangerous or even moreso because I did not know them.What you don;t know can kill you.Try your best to find someone to learn with.If you are serious,check with your fish and game dept.Your life or a permanently crippled hand could be your cost.I have manhandled a lot of excited Hog Dogs,large Hounds and wild hogs.That one skinny,wounded Coyote impressed me in her fight for life.I don;t like them,but I got to respect them.The military trains because the dead are useless and the wounded are a burden.Fact of life.peewee-williams

16. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    It's the right time of year for gut piles from successful archers.
    Scoped 223 HP. Cabelas also carries a T shot load for 12ga. good in tight timber. Good luck they're shy as virgins.....

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome Boots. First post I've seen. Ilike my wifes .243.

18. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I agree with Pee-Wee on this one... I've gotten bountys on coyotes before, but tracking down the right people was a PAIN. And it wasn't the amount I was told. Check first, shoot later.

19. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    if you cant afford or dont have the electronic calls or tapes, heres a way to make a good homemade dyin rabbit call:

take a clothspin. pull it apart (dont need the metal spring). turn both parts flat side to flat side. wrap a rubber band tightly to each end with a wide rubberband stretched in between. now you just blow and the call should sound like a dyin rabbit. you can tune the call by whittlin off on one side(mouth side) to allow a more funneled airflow. you can also change the pitch by stretching or loosening the wide rubber band.

20. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bobact, I agree on the redeeming feature!!! As far as I'm concerned they are as open as the yotes!! If you want yotes in close get a mouse squeaker or make sucking sounds on your hand and be in a ground blind, they will come right in. If you use an rabbit decoy off to one side [mine is battery operated] it will take there sight off of where you are as they come in.