Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out for coyotes for the first time this year. i know a lot of folks shoot or trap them for the fur, but in my area the fur is worthless. i kill them for two reasons: one, they are a blast to hunt, and two, they are a blast to hunt.
today we went out to the canadian river about 0700 and started calling. the second stand had a big male coming in at a dead run. i stopped him at 35 yards with a load of steel BB's in the face. the fourth stand i called in 3, but they circled us, got our scent, and were gone. on the ninth stand i called one in from the ranch land, but he didn't want to commit. i turned my reed around and barked a few challenges at him. he bowed up and came in ready to fight. at 80 yards i barked at him again to stop him for a second and my buddy shot over his back. of course he was gone in a flash. this was my buddy's first time to ever hunt predators, and he's hooked now. i'm glad i was able to get some dogs in there. a lot of times it takes several stands to even get one shot. today we did nine stands and called in 5 coyotes. pretty cool! i also called in 3 mule deer. one buck that circled us and couldn't figure out what was going on, till i stood up. the others were does that came in snorting and blowing and stomping their feet. all cool stuff to see. at one stand there was a sudden rustling of leaves and grass and a big lizard ran up my back. dang near stopped my heart. sorry no pics, i will get some next time out. i was shooting my old camo mossberg 500A and my buddy was shooting his .30-06. the call was a knight and hale lead dawg. that's a sweet call you can use as a distress call and a howler. i'd rather use the regular calls than the electronic ones. i think the electronic ones take the skill out of it. just my opinion, to each his own. thanks for reading.

Reactions: festus

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Sounds fun, man I want to hunt some critters..been too long.... last time I was down in TX, we did alot of calling on a ranch down by artesia wells.... had lots of coyotes respond... about had a bobcat run us over trying to get to the call..lol

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's why we take a shotgun AND a rifle!

Reactions: BubbaCat

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
thanks for sharing, sure brings back alot of neat memories, I was tucked into a high bank calling in the winter in Nebraska and had no response and then over my head, at my back a coyote looks over the bank and me!!!! scared the BOOOO out of me and he jumped straight up in the air and was gone, sat there for a bit and just started laughing, sure used to do that alot and I don't even make the effort now, I think I'm going to change some things this winter thanks again for stiring the pot, at least for me, that was something I did alot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.