Coyotes in my front yard! Help!

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by justcallme12, Oct 8, 2009.

1. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    Needing to ask what is a good way to keep the coyotes away from my house. They are not scared at all. They are not scared of my two big outside dogs at all. They started coming in close to my house about a month ago usually around 10 at night until about 4 in the morning. I have shot in the air when they get too close. I can not level out my shot because I have cows and horses and I can not see where they are in the dark. I can not let my little dogs go out after dark. If I do I stay close to them. But this only causes the coyotes to come in close later in the night. I mean really close! Within 20 yards of my front door. I have pot belly pigs in the barn but they do not seem to mess with them. I have considered they may be rabid but not like I can say come here let me check ya out. Anyone else haveing problems with coyotes? And what can I do about them? I do not live close to the woodline. I have about 15 acres of pasture between my house and woods.

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Maybe use ammonia around your perimeter , or some form of scent that is repulsive to them , I really am not certain as I've never dealt with any problems of that nature. Did you call the game warden?

3. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Lana,
    Try buck shot out of a 12 guage, will make a mess of the yota's :eek:oooh:and does not carry very far so you dont have to worry about your other animals , Pic your shot, Also make sure the season is IN, for them,, would'nt want you to get into trouble with the man for shooting them out of season,:wink:,,
    Puddle
    Another thought, Try to get in touch with the local trapers, ones that are good can help out also,,,

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  4. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    No I have not called him. I have heard they are very hard to trap. Would be my luck one of my dogs would end up in the trap..ha

5. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    Might not be in season but if i feel threatened (which I do) season or not.... somethings gotta give! But thanks for your reply

6. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Then again , there's always installation of bright lights.
    Based upon your description , it sounds like a dangerous area you live in....lighting would deter the coyotes.

7. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    ha! yea i thought so too. I got a porch light that stays on and I have a boogar light in my side yard. Only about 30 yards from where they stood when I shot in the air. Tonight I actually heard my dogs start going nutts and heard some viscious growlin and it was not my dogs I know how they sound. My pc is in my bedroom right beside my window and the growling was right outside.

8. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    Like I said I am really starting to feel threatened!

9. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    If that's the case , then kill 'em all!!
    Pick up the pieces in the morning!!
    Then call the warden!
    Got to give it to you , though , there's no way in h!!! I would live anywhere like that - too many mountain lions , and other 'hidden dangers' to deal with!! You certainly get props from me , keep 'em running!!

10. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ive got a beaver swamp behind the house and a ton of yota's live around me but so far I have not had any problems out of them,, ive got a lab and two cats outside and havent had anyone get into trouble,,,I know what you mean about getting rid of them if you feel threatened, I would do the same thing,,,

Do a search online for trapers in your area and at least they should be able to tell you what way to go to get rid of them,,,or at least run them off
    Puddle

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Find a place for your other animals for a few days then open season on the coyotes. They are coming in close because they are hungry and you put food out for the dogs. Try hiding in something like the back of a pickup with a camper shell on it and shoot out the window when they get up close.

12. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
  13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would say have someone come and kill them around the tree line. Coyotes are smart animals but can be fooled when hungry. But if they are not afraid of people they need to be killed for sure. We had this problem when I lived in Maine. They would come around the house in the middle of the day, night and early morning too. So I sat on the roof of the barn for a week and killed 4 or 5 of em. And the sightings dwindled down. Once they know its not safe in one area they will usually move on to another one. If you are afraid of killing your other animals try some bird bombs for the shot gun. If you are unfamiluar with them, they are a shot gun shell that shoots a round out that explodes a second after the shot. Pretty harmless round but really loud and they don't like it. That's what my Grampa use to use when he just wanted to scare the deer from the garden. Or have someone come bowhunt them at night in your front yard. May not be legal to shoot them there at night, but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep your animals and family safe. Goodluck and let us know how you end up getting rid of them.

14. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    I agree with sarge. If you decide to get rid of them yourself I would get a rabbit squealer tape or cd and you can call then close to it. This way you can get them in a safe shooting lane. Here is a website that has about anything you want or need. I have used them before and have good quality products.

http://www.huntsmart.com/

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky

WOW girl....I used to have the same problem a few years ago. Coyotes would come up in the yard and surround my dog in his dog house. He would just lay in his house and growl....while the coyotes would run around his dog house and try to intimmidate him to coming out so they could eat him.

Here in Kentucky we have an open season on coyotes....shoot on site. There used to be a bounty on every coyote killed and turned in of $50.....then they dropped it to $25....then they stopped the bounty reward altogether. Now we are seeing more and more of them again.
    I shoot them on site....they dont come around the house anymore. I think I just had to set a few examples. There are other ways to get rid of them....but I wouldn't want to post it on an open forum and then get all the peta folks all riled up....lol

16. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If you don't want to shoot them,,, I have had some luck stinging landscape eating deer in the yard with an air rifle.

Believe I would just hunt them down myself.

Yotes are not a big problem here yet, but I reckon it's coming.

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <There are other ways to get rid of them....but I wouldn't want to post it on an open forum>

Well, I will. Find a farmer and get yourself about a cup full of Temik from him. It is a granular dust made from peanut hulls. Put a spoonful of Temik in some hamburger meat. Put the bait out in various places on your perimeter. When a 'yote eats the bait, he is DEAD within ONE MINUTE. Just make sure you get the bait up before you let your own canines out. We have farmers around here that control 'yotes and stray dog packs with Temik.

Bill in SC

18. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Somebody got to tell 'em. Thanks. Bill.

19. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    Thanks all for the replies. Will keep ya updated.

20. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    Thanks for sending that site to me. Was a very interesting read. My thoughts on this .. wellllllll..... lets see.......$125.00 -$145.00 for the electronic deterrant compared to $2.00- $5.00 per shell...hmmmmmmm I'd say I like the cheap stuff better...lol... Now for those who are gasping because your scared I might actually blow a liveing thing away.. welllll tell ya what ... If you private message me I can give you my home address and you are more than welcome to send me $500.00. (will need at least 2 elec deterrants) and then no worries, the sweet little nappy haired creatures can live on another day....