Coyote

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by mangus, Jun 23, 2007.

1. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    wanting to trap some coyote. can anyone help me get started by giving me some information on what i need and how to.

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ok as long as i am on here i will try to help as much as i can. i have never trapped coyotes but i have hunted them several times with fairly good results. i will tell you from what i have learned that they are fairly shy, yet curious animals. when we hunt them we always "called" them in, and by this i mean we used a predator call. usually a wounded rabbit call or wounded cat call would bring them in fairly well. if it is a very still day they will circle around a few times a few hundred yds out before coming in close. if you were going to set traps up i would suggest finding a small game trail and putting it up near there. but like i said my knowledge of trapping them would fit in a thimble. if you want to know more about hunting them just let me know and i will be more helpful.

3. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Based upon what I heard from a friend that was a government trapper for forty years you got a lot of hard learning ahead of you. There are a few dumb ones around but in general the Coyotes are an unbeleveably smart opponent. Very few are caught in steel traps. If you can determine where they are crossing fences snares are fairly effective. Good bait and a cynaide gun is more productive. Learning to make good bait is also challenging. My friend had a female coyote that he had in a pen and collected her urine when she was in season. It was a standing joke about how he got her trained to pee in a bottle. My recommendation would be to start trapping foxes they are easier. There are some good books out there. Get a current trapping magazine and start looking. You might check to see if there are any government trappers in your area and see if they will help you.

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Before you buy/set any traps, there's a few things you should do.

Learn your States trapping regulations, especially concening the type of equipment you're allowed to use.

Attend a trapping convention, as well as Trappers Education classes. Contact your State Trapping Association or DNR for schedules. You'll learn tons at both.

Join your State Trapping Association.

Learn how to avoid "non-target" catches, and how to handle those you do.

Learn how to properly adjust your traps.

Learn to properly anchor your traps, either by rebar or cablestakes.

Keep in mind (much like fishing) that one trapper pretty much represents the rest. Follow regulations and be an ethical trapper to avoid giving the sport a "black-eye.

You didn't mention if you'd trapped before. If you haven't, I'd suggest starting-out with something other than coyote (or any K9, red or grey fox). Coyotes are harder to catch, until you get the "hang" of it. I caught about 50 season before last, along with a few reds. Last season I only trapped a month & ended-up with just over a dozen coyote & 4 reds, and I don't usually trap that hard.

Don't waste your $$ on abunch of videos & books, there's plenty of free info on the internet, just be sure it comes from a "believable" source, and it complies with the regulations of your state.

Use good equipment, don't buy cheap (junk) traps. Coyotes are tough on traps, and can easily dismantle a cheap one.

Learn how to make dirthole, flatsets, and scentposts. Use snares with caution, and be aware of any domestics in your vicinity.

Smitty

5. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
  6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah what he said.

7. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Listen to these folks as they have been down that road . Get to know your state regulations first as I think in NC you have some even wierder laws on K9 trapping . Each county has some restrictions as well . Some can not take fox at all . Go to a trappers convention as they have Demos and you can ask questions as well as see what they are doing . If you get to the NC state convention look for a guy name Kieth French they also call him Buzzard he can help you a lot .

223Smitty are you going to be at Goshen ? My wife and I plan on being there . I will most likely be the only one wearing carhartt bibs and a Trapperman.com black hat . We will be camping along with some other friends wonder on over and say hi . Will be lots of trapping talk around our fire tween the trains going by .

8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd like to, as well as hauling my gear up there to do some trapwork. lol, downside is at the State Conventions I never have time to visit, watch the demos or walk-around because of being too busy.

I've got some "issues" going-on right now which have pretty much left me financially drained, so something would have to happen (like finding a rich widow :embarassed:) between now & then.

If there's any way possible I'd like to make it for atleast a day, but can't give an honest answer at this point. If I do, I'll be sure & look you up.

Smitty

9. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    getcha a high powered rifle and sit ontop of a big ol hill and call em in...i think its easier than trappin em...thats just my opinion though

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I talking to a guy here at the plant this morning and he said he's never seen anything like how smart they are. He said they can get into traps that most people can't even get around. So I plan to just shoot the darn things.

11. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    thanks for the info u all!

12. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    look up how to make a dirthole set

13. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A properly tunned trap is a must as well as strong . The old style #2 victors are not strong enough without some modification . I prefer to use at least a #2 size with a 3 being my main trap for coyote . Buy a few differant brands and decide what trap YOU prefer .

If starting with new traps they will have oil and grease from the process of making them . Use a metal container and a slow boil with dish washing soap to remove that . Once you see the oil on the top I remove the heat and overflow the water by filling it up . That way you don't recoat the traps with the oil you just removed . Let dry and hang for awhile to get a thin blossum of rust .

Next is dyeing and waxing . This is done to protect the trap as well as seal in the smell .I prefer to dye my traps using native bark in a tub of water ,soft maple being my dominate species that is what I use . After you dye , it doesn't have to be jet black , as it will be burried in the dirt it needs to dry . Waxing can be done in several ways . Some float a skim of wax ontop of the dye water . I prefer to wax in a seperate step as it works better for me that way .

Wax is flamable so great care must be used . I ALWAYS wax outside . A turkey cooker can be used . A tall narrow container will take less to dip a trap then a short wide one but is easier to tip over . Heat until it starts to smoke just a little and back it off a little .Keep a lid to cover incase of a fire . NEVER use water or a fire extigusher to put out a wax fire . Smother it is the only way . If the top of the wax is cooled too fast the gases under it will cause it to explode and can cover you in molten wax!!!!!!!. More then one trapper has been killed by this .

I don't buy trap wax as I believe it has sat in too close a area with the other products a dealer has to sell such as lure,urine and baits and can absorb the odors . I buy it from the shelf in a grocery store . Parafin like they use to seal jelly with . Use a tall container as you will need to imerse the traps in the wax . A wire hook to lift the trap with is used . I put a link of the trap chain between the jaws to get a coat of wax on the inside of the jaws . Leave it until it quits bubbleing then lift slowly and let the molten wax drip off some . What you are trying to do is get a slight coat of wax that looks wet . If it is white color the wax is too cold or the trap wasn't in the wax long enough to get hot . Hang and let cool . I handle my traps with CLEAN gloves as to not get odors on them . Store in a place no odors can reach them like gas , oil , smoke anything foregin to the area you will be trapping . Rubbermaid tubs with a air tight lid works well with a little dirt and or cedar boughs in the bottom .

After all that you are ready to find a location to set your traps . The best set in the world with the right lure and bait can't catch anything if they aren't there . Read the sign the animals leave , tracks scat and learn why they are there . This will detrmine what type of set to use .

Dirtholes. flat sets and scent posts are the basics . Dirtholes you are imitating an animal burying the excess they find . Flat sets are a variation to me of the dirthole only without a hole . Post sets are spots they mark territroy .

Hope this helps some .

14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you can use snares in your area they work good also for yotes and fox if the area you trap has old fences and good used paths. They are easier and less costly to use.

15. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    You can get a few young ones w/ varmint calls. Once they are shot at they get pretty smart. They have good eyesight so you can't move around very much. I use a ground blind. I get everything set up then I ease into it about a week later. You just have to start hunting them and move up on the learning curve. I hope you get a bunch. They hurt the turkey and quail pop.

16. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I really have to disagree with the "don't get videos" advice.

Buy the "on the dog line" video by Dr. Bob Wendt. It'll put you light years ahead of the learning curve, and it'll do it in 1 hour. The videos usually run about $40 bucks, but that's much cheaper than the gas you'd spend trying to figure it out on your own.

I asked around for about 6 months trying to find someone who would take me out & teach me how to trap. No such luck, everybody is so afraid that you're gonna get "their spots" that they won't even show you the first thing about it. At least around here it's that way. So, I bought the video & some traps & gave it a whirl. I made most of my own trapping tools & the rest can be bought pretty reasonably online. Good luck! Take some kids out on your trapline with you, it's one of my son's favorite things to do!!!

17. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wendt is the last person I'd give any of my money............I laughed when I saw his videos at Gander Mountain for $19.95......his reputation must be catchin' up with him.

Smitty

18. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Here is the first thing I do check all my traps, boil them in walnut bark and wax. Then I hang them out. They come out of kettle and not touched except with rubber gloves. Now when looking for a place to trap in the open which is new to me since Iowa is lot different than Alaska. I look for one bush twig or stick out in open. I have neighbors who have cows so I borrow some of the s**t and tromp it all over my rubber boots and head straight for that stick or bush. I spray it with coyote urine. ( I am hoping to start a marking tree or bush). I then make a 4 set circle I do this cause mister coyotee will usually circle depending on wind before he comes in . With this set I get him no matter which way wind is blowing and usually he will end up in 2 or 3 of the traps and he isnt going anywhere!!! Just one way I do it. Lots of other good sets out there. But here's a hint. Find ya a old timer in area take him to breakfeast and then out to field and have him show you. Lot easier if he wont go out into field cause he dont want to walk build you a sandbox in back yard and have him show you there!! Also good place for you to practice!!

19. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I love trapping, but Coyotes can be difficult...I'd rather call em and shoot em...Here's one that couldn't outsmart my .270...:big_smile:

Good Hunting
    Mike

Attached Files:

20. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I Agree with Mike81, Them ole coyotes start a runnin when i whip out ma Savage .22-250 and calls....But then again i do trap them as well..In my case i believe everyone has to learn for themselves and see what methods to use and which to toss..I have been trapping for 1 season getting ready to start on my second and i find that i do it alot better on getting out and seeing for myself what i know and learn, when it comes to people telling me how to do it: i dont like it: usually it gets me all messed up.........so i think trial and error works best..well for me anyways..then again i can always switch back to my .22-250!!