Coyote Trapping .....

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Sep 6, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    In Ohio we can't use a land trap larger than a #2 ... which is what I have always used for fox. I don't if other states in our area are restricted to this size or not. I use the square jawed No. 2 which does give a little more size than the round jawed.

Now my question is ... how many of you also can use this trap effectively for Coyotes? If you use them do you ....

Beef

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Beef up the springs?

Add the 2 additional springs to make them a 4 coil?
    Double stake them?
    Use extra swivels?
    Use longer chains or shorter (like I do for fox)?
    Gang set with possibly 2 or 3 traps)?
    Do you get many pullouts?

I Know I sound like a novice at trapping, but that is only with beaver and coyotes ... I can hold my own with everything else. I am trying to get this coyote venture which will be new to me about half way solved before the season gets here. ......... Thanks Garry- :cool2:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Gary,Although I havn't trapped for coyotes in years,I still have all my traps and equipment. My go to trap here in New Mexico for both coyotes and bobcats is a #2 coil,I don do anything more than tune the triggers ,never used four coils,not much point in it,Inever hap pullouts either. If you look at the size of a #2 and a #3 coil,I think theres only a 1/2" difference in the jaw spread.

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 1-3/4 and 2 for yotes and fox. Two things I changed last year was going to a heavy duty earth anchor instead of rebar stakes. This was done because most of my areas that I trap are plowed fields and with how wet Ohio's seasons have been of late even double staking 24" rebar I was still getting pull outs. After switching to the anchors I never had one pull out. Also early in the season last year I had a brand new duke #2 that a yote pulled the jaw out and got away. So I moved where the chains attach to the center of the base to insure that when they pull its not on one side but the middle. I also bend the tabs over more at each jaw to help with pull outs. After those changes I never lost another that made it in the trap. Plenty of swivels can never hurt with yotes especially when trapping real muddy or wet areas.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

if you got to run twos for yotes run bridger twos. good trap and holds whatever gets in it.closer in size to a three than most number twos oout there. if its a jaw reg thing. i would beef them up all the way.lams. four coil kits baseplate. after that that two will hold anything

6. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Yep ... it is a jaw size reg. I have a couple beefed up with four springs and it takes a man and mule to set them .... :wink: .... I was thinking maybe setting a dirt hole set with another blind set a couple feet away ... hopefully catching a hind foot if one got hung and started jumping around.

Garry-

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

to be honest if i could get enough together i would run a ton of the old number two long sgprings beefed up i love those things