Coyote rifles

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by CatfishHateMe, Dec 23, 2006.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    ive been looking for a new rifle for coyote and such since we dont own a rifle in the house. i want it to mainly kill coyotes with and it cant be way to expensive along with the ammo being somewhat cheap. i want to put a nice scope on it to but that can even wait until later if i need to. what rifles do you guys use for shots out to around 100 to 150+-? i dont need it to hunt western long range prairie style, just across cut crop fields. ive hunted with my cousin before and what we normally do is one of us takes a rifle and the other takes a shotgun. it helps alot here in the midwest since we have everything from huge crop fields to thick thick thick hardwoods that you can hardly go through. just want to kno what everyone uses for there song dog killers.

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    o yeah, handing a rifle to me is like handing a spaceship part to an infant. never been around any rifle besides 22 rimfires. so might want to go into the best detail possible if your gunna describe sumthin to me:tounge_out:

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Something cheap, cheap to shoot and reliable.
    Simple go with a New England Firearms Synthetic Handi-Rifle in 223.
    I had 1 and it was able to shoot 1/2" with factory ammo. But, unfortunetly, I was given an offer on it that I couldn't refuse.
    Plus, you can send it back to the factory and get additional barrels for about $100 apiece.
    Will

Here's the website;
    http://www.hr1871.com

Attached Files:

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jason
    Ruger makes a fine rifle for what you are needing. Its their Mini 14 and properly set up , its highly effective at those ranges. It comes in 223 caliber which makes it cheap to shoot. It comes standard with a five round clip but you can legally purchase 30 and 40 round clips wich really makes it fun to target shoot with. You can also get it stainless or blued. I have a stainless model with a cheap (less than 50 bucks) 3x9x42 power scope on it and it will drop a coyote in his tracks at 150 yards. I wouldnt hesitate to take a shot out to 200 yards with it. If you live in a area where there are gun shows, I see these rifles at gun shows (used) all the time for 300 bucks take or give a little depending on condition. New, I think they sell for around 5 or 6. And having the Ruger name on it, you can rest assured it will take anything you can dish out to it !!! Another idea is if you know a gun dealer willing to do the transfer then check out the website Guns America. They have a huge selection of used guns.

5. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Will is right on the money with the New England. Rossi also makes one just like it. It is a very inexpensive way to get into rifles. I you have extra money, the mini 14 is a good rifle also, but the cost a lot more.

6. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Try to locate a good used 222.
    Ask around you'll find one.
    Good for that sort of thing.
    Good Luck!
    John

7. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    My favorite is a bolt action stevens 22 mag with a 3x9x50 scope. It will knock them in the dirt at 150 yds. I use cci hollow point ammo. This is an inexpensive gun and shoots great.Also the ammo does not cost a mint. I've been using it for years and would not trade it.Never had a coyote get up after being hit.JMO Allen

8. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    You cannot go wrong with a 223 H&R or New England Firearms (same thing if you were wondering) You could hit with practice out to 150 easy.

There is alot to be said about a 22 mag also. Cheaper to shoot than a 223 so you could shoot 2-3 times as much for practice with the same money.

I personally take a 223 for callin dogs. My AR is alot more than what you need though.

9. jtr4324

jtr4324 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have a remington 22-250 bull brl, Browning rifles, marlin rifles and mauser rifles. They shoot great. But I've found nothing is more accurate than a Savage gun. Especially out of the box. They are way more affordable than most guns also. So I would say go with a savage 22mag, 223, 243, 250-3000 sav. Good Luck

10. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was just wondering if a 7.62x54R would be a descent rifle fer the yotees when hunting open cattle pastures takin up to 150 yard shots?

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Matthew e to the Boc that rifle you describe has been around for ever and with its military history it will definitly do the deed but there might not be much left if you want to sell the pelts though thanks for the post

12. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, thx im planning on heading up to cabelas in KC and trading it in and putting up a little money and im going to get a Savage .223 or .22 - 250. yea this is my first year trapping/sellin pelts so thx for the reply!

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    cool both are great varmint rounds i got a 223 cause ammo is everywhere