Coyote rifle

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by gander, Nov 23, 2006.

1. gander

gander New Member

State:
    jerseyville IL
    what whould be a good brand or cal for coyotes

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    im in indiana so i use a shotgun for coyotes whenever i have a chance to go. our thick woods and brush with crop fields offer a good setup for the dead coyote shotshells by i believe federal.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I use a model 700 remington cal in 22-250 myself and prefer it over my 223 in the same rifle.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    243 for me best all around cal there is just my op.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey Tim. Give a little more info & you'll get better answers. For instance, if I only wanted one rifle, my only concern varmints, shots not over 300 meters, & this was my first centerfire rifle I'd go with the 223(5.56). Ammo is cheap and available, you can learn everything you need to know to be a good rifleman and all the major manufacturers make good ones. But if this isn't your scenario, something else would probably be better. Bigger game & longer shots, different caliber. Lots of things to consider.
    :wink:

6. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have a Rem. 700 in 22-250 that I use when hunting the open country. I have a Savage O/U .223/12 that I use most of the time. I prefer not to kill them any deader then necessary because I sell the fur. That being said they are tough critters so its important to use enough gun........

7. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Well Tim, preference is everything, is ya gonna use the rifle just fer varmits? Or maybe deer hunt also? My solution was a Ruger #1 varmiter in a 25-06 great on deer and just murder on varmits. Only limited by your ability as far as range goes. I use a 100 grain bullet and serves serious lead poisioning for either varmit or deer. I use ta have a Remington 700BDL in a varmit special. Chambered in 6mm, (.244) also a deadly choice for serving up lead as a main dish. Lost that rifle to a house fire, I cried when I realized that was gone....The varmiters come with Bull barrels and are heavy-er than sporters but that extra barrel does some kinda magic....But to each his own...Let us know what you choose.......

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Also to add in the mix is whether or not you might want to save the pelts or not if so i think that the smaller 22 cal are best the larger 24+ will all but destroy a pelt so any 22 centerfire will fill the bill and dont overlook the 12 and10 ga shotguns loaded with bb up to #4 buckshot work respectably also good huntin

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Blue Duck, I also use the Savage .223/12 and think it is a great gun. All my yoter's are called in and I probably use the shotgun 4 to 1 over the rifle. Did shoot one at 217 yards(rangefindered) with the .223.

Do you have yours scoped, if so, what kind.

10. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    I also use the .223 for my coyote gun, and I've heard a lot of good things about the 22/250. Also optics can be a very important if you'll need to take longer shots, a scope is definately not the place to try and save a few bucks. But if your not going to sell the fur you could blast it with a .300 ultra mag if you wanted to, I personally think thats a little much but to each his own Ha ha. Also I think dead coyote is made by Hevi-Shot, but I'm not real sure.

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i have a thing for a .220 swift myself

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i like the 22/250 myself and it will take a deer out no problem. shot two bucks with mine and dropped the first in his tracks the other ran 20yards and left a good blood trail. both where shot in the shoulders. deer where 140-150lbs. and its legal here.

13. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i use a .22mag, it works ok, but the range is limited. i dont own either but I'm guessing the .223 or a .22-250 is the best way to go. I also use a .32 special, anything over .30cal will put it down SO fast. If you take that route you have a great deer rifle too. good luck

14. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    22-250, 223, 7mmTCU, are my faveorites, or the old 835 with 3 1/2 inches of 000 buck shot if they are close enough.

15. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use an AR-15 or a .243, they both work great