Coyote questions.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by wylie catter, May 30, 2009.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Alright let me tell ya what just happened. I just got home and turned on the backyard floodlights and went outside to shut my chicken coops. Well I shut them and walked back up to the garage when a critter started howlin and made my skin crawl and all my hairs stand up. It was loud, high pitched and close. It was steady for several seconds then kinda choppy I guess you'd say. Then right after that there was a bad sound. Kinda like a hurt screaming puppy or something.

Does that sound like a coyote? I've never heard one. We don't ussually have any around here.

My place would be a coyote magnet. Chickens and rabbits all over the backyard.

I trap and kill possums and coons on a regular basis.

I wonder if one of those big havahart traps will work good. I use a small one for the little varmints.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yep,Coyote for sure. Better invest in come #3 victor footholds. or snares. They wont go into a live trap well if at all.

3. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Will one coyote make all that noise I heard? The howlin and the screamin puppy sound.

You know it was dark and dead quite when I went out there. That thing sounded like it was in the woods I'd say within 100 yards of me. It was LOUD. It was howlin at me or the light I turned on I reckon. That pisses me off, kinda like a strange dog barkin at you in your own yard.

Are these things any threat to very small children?

And can yall recomend where to get some of those traps.

4. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    It was probably a yote that had an eye on your yard birds. You probably interferred with his hunt. If it sounded like a normal bark followed by a short howl then that was a challange bark. Not the right setting for that in most cases. If the final conversation ended with just a normal dog bark then he is alerting other yotes that those yardbirds are trouble.

If it was all howls and yips then its just a yote being vocal with other yotes. Its pup season and it could have been a pup or 2.

Forget the livetrap. As 223 reload said a #3 or #4 set out. Set them in a pair in a way when he gets caught in one he will get hung in the 2nd when it is scrambling around trying to get out of the trap. There are tricks to that trade, just setting one out will catch you anything but your 4 legged predators. Yours or the neighbors dog is no exception. The trap is not selective on what it clamps down own. Be sure you can get out of it if you get caught in it yourself.

Be sure you have a good anchor or it will be gone.

you might want to put one of those yard birds in the trap as bait. A note at the local feed store could get you a varmint caller to come assist you.

If you catch him plan on a very pissed of coyote so dont plan a friendly encounter.

5. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Yep, it's lil ole coyote!
    Leg hold traps are a good bet. Check with local laws first as some states have outlawed them. If your outside the city limits..........a center fire rifle or shotgun with 00 buck will knock his tail in the dirt......IF you can get a line on him.
    They are smart.
    They won't hurt your family, just make ya worry with their noises.
    Will definetly eat any farm birds they can.

Good Luck

Q

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Terry they are increasing in numbers in the upstate of SC.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i don't know how effective a live trap would be on coyotes, but footholds in a dirthole set do great. coyotes can hear each other for a long way with their barks, we hear thyem every night here. they are a blast to hunt, but can be pretty bad when they get lazy and start killing domestic animals. the only attacks i have ever heard of on humans were out in california, unless a trapped animal got a hold of someone. i would get out there with a fawn in distress call in your turkey camo and kill them suckers! if your state allows it, spotlighting is pretty effective with the calling at night.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I don't think you can trap this time of year but I could be wrong.

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    out in AZ we hunt them quite regularly. they can weak havoc on any kind of domestic animals and if you want to be rid of them, then the best way to do it is with a rifle or shot-gun. if you want to cal in some yotes get ourself a distressed rabbit call and set out by a tree in the best camo you have. start calling and they will come running in if they are in the area. they are very smart and very wary animals. they will sometimes circle in from about 400 yards, and sometimes they will run right to the call. i dont really agree with the traps, since once you get one you are just going to have to shoot it anyway. might as well get some sport out of it. i believe that SC has year round hunting for coyotes. they were initially brought into the state to try and control the deer population, but they control more of the small game population tha anything.

10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I just read an article where a coyote killed and ate Ozzy Osborn's little Pom "Little Bit" right in his yard in Los Angeles.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I use a .270. Does a good job!! LOL Thick at my farm. Here them every night and they will come in close. Here in the city they got my neighbors chewaawaa! (spell) LOL Cats are pretty scarce around here also.

12. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Yotes love cats and farm birds. #3 and #4's are too big for my yote trapping. 1 1/2 coils, 1 3/4 coils are better. You ought to give trapping a try during the season. Its a very fun hobby/sport. Its alot harder to get a yote in a trap at times then to call him in and blast him, rifle/gun covers alot more area then the 2 1/2" pan of a foothold trap. But on the other hand a trap works for you 24/7. In our ADC work we use footholds and guns/calling. Ive never snared much since its illegal here. Ive only rarely seen a yote in any kind of cage trap. Maybe twice in 30+ years? Some years we took 50+ of the fawn eaters.

13. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    take 2 peices of plywwod paint them as whit as u can get them put them in a wide open spot as possible place a jar of grape jelly in the middle of themand do it on a full moon and the boards will stand out like a sore thumb. the cyotes will walk on them to eat the jelly now u can see the shadow about 100 yds with a scope and pull the trigger now that is fun lol

14. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'd snare them. More effective than leg holds, and no noise.

15. 6pointer0075

6pointer0075 New Member

State:
    tn
    yeah they are pretty bad in tn just this past weekend. went deer huntin and i got just to the top of the stand and just happend to look down and a coyote had sprinted all the way under my stand and jump the fince and took off through the woods. they are very v7ery smart as stated and sneaky little things too. never hear them coming and if you plan on hunting them and you decide to do some callin chances are they wont make any noise they will just sneak on in so just be ready because they are FAST lol but a good old 7mag or a 30-06 should blow him up pretty good

16. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    get a trustworthy dog that will protect your property. coyote's look for easy pickin's

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That sounded like a good description of a coyote. I had one walk the edge of my yard a while back as I sat on the porch having my morning coffee. I like a 12ga. with OO buckshot for them but kill most with a rifle. They are thick here too.
    Here is a link that will answer your questions about what is legal in S.C. as for the control of them.
    http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/publications/pdf/coyotecontrol.pdf
    Hope this helps.

18. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.