Coyote Hunting Tips

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by N2Ducks, Feb 14, 2006.

1. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was wondering if any of my fellow BOC brothers would be so kind as to share some of their wisdom about coyote hunting. Anything would help.

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Well the old trappers always said keep the wind to your face and the sun to your back. If you think deer live by smell then they have a head cold when compared to a yote. They often will circle to get down wind to see if its lunch or trouble. They learn to be call shy as well. Try to set up where they cant circle you and the sun to your back helps dim their sight. You can use cover scent, but dont rely on it. I like a decoy. Several on marketed or you can make your own. I suggest hunting in pairs so you can watch each others backs. Often a rifle and shotgun make a deadly combo. If they feed cattle around your area watch the feed bunks. They love sweet feed and will clean up scraps. Also during calving they will eat the placenta and other nasties. Good hunting

3. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    predatormasters.com thats all you need to know, there is a wealth of info on there.

4. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I like to call coyotes at night w/ an electic caller. When a coyote comes in make sure you hold the spotlight over them just enough to see them, this way they don't get spooked by the light.

5. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Do you use a red light or just a regular spot light?

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Either works, but the red makes if some better. Check local laws tho. Many places its illegal. Also if stoped set your gun in a safe place, step away from it, and have your license ready. Game officers have a tough job and imagine if every person you me was armed and may have a grudge against you because of your uniform.

I have got great tips from many game officers while they stopped me.

7. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    what we do for blinds for coyote hunting are those big roundbales of hay. You put 2-4 side by side and they work pretty good. We also use cut down cedar trees and stack them up in a semi square, and that always works real good.

8. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I've always heard to keep the wind in your face but I usually go in the early morning so wind usually isn't a problem. I tend to do a lot better in the morning as the sun is coming up. I use a Primos Song Dog (howler). I usually howl three to four times at different pitches and then wait silently for about 15 minutes. For me, that almost always produces a coyote in the 150-400 yard range. Hope that helps.

9. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    we always set up and electronic caller and back off about a 100 yards or so but of the night we reduce that to about 30 because we use shot guns during the night. make sure you get away from your truck and we always use some from of cover sent. we always have better luck late in the winter i think that food gets harder to come by then it does in the summer.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ialways keep the wind in my face also try not to silowett yourself while walking to your stand site if there are bobcats in the area i usually will call longer like 45 min or so befure moving also ive found a good pair of binos. to be a great tool to have along

11. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Don't skylight yourself going into an area.

Set up with a bush or something behind you.

Wear good camo.

Set so you can watch downwind. They USUALLY try to circle down wind.

Don't worry about what your calling sounds like. The WORST dying rabbit sound I ever heard was made by ...a dying rabbit. A coyote will come to anything that sounds distressed until it gets shot at once.

Shoot as soon as you get a good shot.

Don't overcall your area. Change hunting areas & let them rest several days between trips.

When you make a shot, don't get up. Call some more. Often you will call in more than one & they often come from different directions.

You will eventually figure out a ton of small details that make a big difference to you. The main thing is DON'T GIVE UP. The first time I went, I was hunting with a guy who regularly killed 6-10 coyotes per day when he went out. We hunted ALL DAY LONG. It was on our 12th stand & almost dark when wwe saw our first coyote that day. Some days are like that. Other times, they come in on just about every stand. I called in 7 on one stand once. Killed ONE out of that bunch.

James