cowley county state lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by beakus, Mar 31, 2008.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i've been thinking about going down there but i dont know if it's worth the drive,has anybody fished there in the last few years?

2. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I havent fished there in a year or so. I used to live in Winfield and we used to go there from time to time. Never caught anything very big there but usually caught something. If your going there from Derby you might also try Winfield lake. Its bigger, and I know that there are some big ones in there. Also maybe Wellington lake. Have had decent luck there too. At Cowley and Wellington we usually fish by the feeders.

3. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    John, Darrin is pretty much right on the button. Cowley isn't very good for fishing anymore except Crappie at times. Catfish limit is (i think) 3 per day and not any good one being caught for the last 3-4 years. the whole east end is silted in-i mean like 18" silted in. It gets a lot of wetback fishing and camping. The only time I go out there is to play with the Depth finder. Go to the Walnut river up in fairgrounds park at Winfield and fish goin north from the boatramp. Slow as there is a lot of stuff under the water, but, some fair Flats come out of there. Winfield City lake has some 20 to 60lb flats in it but the wind raises hell with the fishin- just like it does Kaw Lake. Do either of You Guys use Stink/Dip Bait? I saw 18 taken out of the Walnut north of Fair grounds on dip bait yesterday. 2 to 6 lber's. I haven't been up there yet Banks are Muddy as heck. Some good Blues being taken out Kaw Lake mostly on dip bait and shad.

4. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    The only decent fish I ever caught at Cowley state lake was a 12 lb flathead. It was the spring of 2005. Other than that, I used to catch crappie trolling glass shad raps after sundown in the mainlake, off one of the rock points. Catfishing was mostly limited to channel cats right by the feeder.

Winfield is a much better lake.

5. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    The walnut will be slow for a few more weeks but it will pick up and start hoppin. Winfield lake will be good for flats towards the end of april, Cowely county lake is nothin but turtle hell if you ask me.I caught my PB flat on the walnut and my family owns land on it, that to me is the best place in cowley to fish .

(Darrin), Ya know you have good luck with new poles at Wellington also:smile2::smile2::smile2:. Sorry couldn't help myself.
    Later,
    Chris

6. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    Hey Chris, Thanks for the reminder. I had almost forgot. NOT!! YOu know I almost blame you guys for that!! You get me into using these high dollar poles and then when one ends up in the lake I am the only one that goes swimming!! Oh well its all good. I guess it has to be since it was never recovered. At least I look back now and laugh about it since I wanted to cry my eyes out the day that it happend.

7. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    Hey Chris, I almost forgot to show you a pic of my new pole holder. See what ya think.

Attached Files:

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    That is sweet. Like the wheels and the fact that its lowered. :big_smile: