Cowan Lake-Any Success?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by H2O Mellon, Jan 2, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I plan on hitting the rivers & lakes hard this year. I am only 45 min-1 hour from Cowan Lake. It's a 9.9 limit, which is what I have. I am wanting to hit it a few times this year. I have heard of Falts comming from Cowan. Can any one give me a few suggestions? I'm not looking for your secret honet hole, just suggestions. Is it worth the time?

2. shovelheadwolf

shovelheadwolf New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have never fished for cats but the lake is very good for crappies,bass and some healthy bluegill. the bluegills are gooood eating not quite as good as rocky fork but good just the same.

3. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    Hey Mellonhead- When you decide to hit Cowan , hit me with a pm. That lake is one in which I live by and have fished ALOT . I know of a few areas you just might want to try ...;) ....some for the spring and some super spots in the summer, by boat...... THE CATKING !!!

4. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Mellon, I've caught a few cats out of there last year though nothing over 11# but have heard of a lot bigger. My smoker craft has a 50HP on it so I have to use the trolling motor...lol About the only area I fished was where Cowan Creek comes into the lake. You can't see the creek mouth till you get back there because of the large lili pads.

5. dead eye

dead eye New Member

State:
    ohio
    H2o , i have fished cowan a good bit and every time i always catch aleast a 20 plus . i still think the next record is comming out of rocky fork .

6. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Mellon,

Let me know when you want to hit Cowan - I've fished it quite a bit the last 3years with my little 14 footer. We can take my boat down - it is a very comfortable little boat to fish out of. I think the catfishing has gone downhill there over the last 10 years or so, but there are still nice fish in there. It gets hit VERY hard by limbliners every year. I pulled a 14.8 Flat last year - which was my biggest from Cowan. Caught him on that abu reel I bought from you a couple years back off OGF.

There are quite a few really nice channels in the lake though - I caught 2 over 10 lbs last year and several 5-8 lbs. I catch far less in numbers @ Cowan than the other lakes, but the size is better.

The campground cove is the most popular spot & I have caught several in this cove, but I found better/ less pressured spots as well. I won't post spots at Cowan on here - too small of a lake with a lot of pressure already. I will tell everybody that the 14.8 came off "muskie point" for those familiar with tha lake. Not a popular cat spot & it was mid-day in the heat and sun; go figure.

Big creek chubs outperform gills and shad in my experience.

You know how to get a hold of me.

Fool

7. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I fish Cowan, nice lake to catch cats. 60s have been landed there. I have a 12' john boat with a 3.9 merc that accomadates two fishermen. If you all want to meet up some time and go, let me know.

8. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I went to Cowan Lake about 10:30 last night, the conditions wern't very good. (but I was desperate and wanted to go fishing) The wind was blowing 20 to 30 mph with 40 mph gust and the temps dropped to 42*F but the rain had pretty much stopped. Needlees to say I got skunked again but I did get a good run on a large Shad pocket, it ripped the bottom half of the pocket off so I guess it didn't have the hook in its mouth. Oh well it give me hope anyway.
    I left Cowan Lake this morning about 1:00am and went to the Ohio river in Cincy. I couldn't get to the spot where I usally go because it was blocked off because of the river rising. I went over to the Newport side to try and find a safe place to fish, I found some not so go areas for me to be in at that time of night, lol. I didn't find a good place to fish but I think I did find a good place to buy crack, LMAO. :blink: