Covington

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by buckeater, Jul 17, 2007.

1. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    i was wandering if someone good give me some advice on that area. i have been there a few times. caught fish every time but not alot. no more than three a night and only one flathead. we take off from the boat launch from 7-8 pm and fish till 7-8 am. we take shad, medium and big creek chubs, and gills/pumpkinseeds/waremouth. i always go upstream there to fish. found some decently deep holes for the depth of the river there and there are not a whole lotta snags up there. are there any better spots within 3 miles or so of the boat launch downstream. any help is appreciated.

2. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i live 10 min from the wabash ramp in covington. that is my main water of choice. u are doing good going upstream but i do really good past the railroad bridge and around the bend stay to your right unless the water dropped more since last week. i fish around some downed timber and overlaying trees there. upstream u should fish under the power lines by the interstate bridge. stay to ur left side over there as there is some hefty logs and snags in the middle. go on up around the the 2 curves and look for some ddeep water toward the left side. if u let me know in advance i may be able to break free and meet ya for some fishing. i use liver and shrimp as well as gills if i can get them. also i have had luck fishing the shallow sandbars catching some nice flatheads there too. hope this helps

good luck

3. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have been as far as four miles upstream and have not came across the powerlines. or do you mean downstream towards the I-74 bridge. i wish we would get alot of rain to get the feeder creeks flowin.

4. maxcain

maxcain New Member

State:
    Indiana
    the power lines are just north of the dock not much more that 75 to 100 yards. My buddy dave and I fish that area almost every weekend. WE sure could use the ran. WE have mostly been fishing south of the reailroad bridge, useing blue gill and shiners and a little dip bat for the channel cat. watch out idleing the asian carp are getting pretty thick around there my buddy dave was hit by one not two weeks ago. Good luck and great fishing.

5. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i hear shawn we were coming back sunday and i got hit in the chest by at least a 5lber hurt like h'''....where are u from shawn. i live in warren county but originally from covington

6. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah i dont know how i didnt notice them before, but the last time i was there i finally seen them. i guess i just never really looked up after we took off in the boat

7. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    we've been pulling 10+ lb fish out left and right in covington. someone said a guy caught a 52 lb fish around there sometime recent cant comfirm that could of been lies but i know a buddy caught a four foot gar. here are some pics fish we caught last weekend. flatheads 30 lbs cant remember the channel's weight. buddy caught my fish werent worthy of the camera :-D

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      23.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      23.4 KB
      Views:
  8. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    was this off covington ramp? i was using livers at covington and cuaght some decent perch and channells nothing huge though

9. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    down south of the boat ramp. the other side of the river from the ramp we walk south a ways and theres a bunch of fallen timber down and you can get to the bank and fish there. plus theres some sunk logs. i believe u can see it from the boat ramp about 40 yards or so from the huge sandbar out there now.

10. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    cool i might be down at the ramp sat or sun maybe we can meet up:wink:

11. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    sounds to me like i might have to head down towards "trojan land" and wet some lines...

12. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i suppose u can come down u rambler lol......let me know when and i will meet ya down there. how bout weekedn after next??? i am in the process of a buying boat so maybe it will be ready by this fall for us to tear em up...u should of entered in the fish off buddy u have to wait till next yr now lol

let me know when u are goin

13. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Tried the fishing north of the bridge headin into town, a guy named Pete let us fish behind his place where all those houses are around that pond. Crap load of timber suck and poking out everything but all we seen were asian carp and caught a few gar.

14. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    weekend after next would probably be just fine, either friday or saturday night...i'll let you know when it gets closer

15. maxcain

maxcain New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I grew up in veedersburg and still go back to fish with my good buddy dave. i now live in lafayette. are you a covington volunteer fireman? my buddy dave was a volunteer for perrysville and veedersburg.

16. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    im a volunteer for west lebanon. i fish around the covington area alot. grew up there

17. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana

i didnt know that pond now. harold hanley used to own it when he lived in town. is it the one right after the bridge coming into town on the left side? or right before the bridge

18. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    let me know. my wedding anniversary is the 17 so sat night will not be fishable lol:wink: just let me know

19. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    It's the one coming in to town on the left side. It looked good back there but alot of gar and countless asian carp. We watched so many carp jump into boats or over them that it was a little nerve wracking for me to watch let alone what the person was going thru. I plan on either fishing down south of the bridge tonight or going to raccoon lake. Whatever my step dad decides, cause he hasn't been fishing this year cause he works alot so I want to give him a good time :smile2: