Cover Scents - Whats your favorite cover scent to use?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Big Country01, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    what is everybodies favorite cover scent???
    i prefer to use tinks 69 as my cover.....

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I use HS scents fresh earth. I have used acorn and cedar as well. I like to cut fresh cedar boughs and briskly rub them on my clothing. I have also used vanilla and sucked on apples to keep my breath from tipping them off. The things we will do to get close. lol

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have tried a lot of scents and the best by far is skunk. Don't buy the fake stuff, find a trapping supplier and get the real thing. I've had deer that were down wind from me, turn come up to my bottle of skunk perfume sitting on the ground, stick their nose right in the bottle and inhale until their eyes roll back and I think they are going to pass out. I've seen them do lip curls, head shakes, turn circles and the likes but they always go back for a second snort. I don't use any scentlok clothes or anything like that, just skunk scent and I don't worry about wind direction at all. As an added benefit, any time of the year you drive past a dead skunk in the road and you get a whiff of that delight, you can't help but think of deer hunting and that buck you shot while it was clearing its sinuses over a bottle of skunk.

4. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    my wife gets mad cause for some reason i don't smell skunk...lol

5. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I go sent free crazy!
    I wash my clothes in sent free UV damping detergent, then I spray myself down with HS cent killer, and then I usally use Fox urine to lay a sent trail and to spray 30 ft around my stand. They say that sence Fox's are so skittish that if they are around then the deer will figure that humans or a threat can not be present, works for me But I also like the HS sent waffers

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive heard that before about foxes but red fox is supposed? to be the best. Reasoning Im told was that coyotes wont mess with the grey's as much as they will the red's, thus red's around, no coyotes? I usually use fox pee or will grab some persimmons and rub em on my feet or step in alot of them.

7. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I spray down w/ Scent Killer or if there are cattle in the area I will step in some cow dung to cover my scent.

8. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    lmao........:p
    talk about $h!t kicking...............lol
    who'da thought about stepping in cow crap......lol?

9. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Depends on where I'm going to hunt. But I have never found anything that will filter the human sent from my breath and no I ain't wash'n my mouth out with soap. I don't know if scents are made for the deer or the hunter. I've found attractants work better than cover scents.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Being I live on a hog farm the scent that would least alert a deer is that of a hog. Hang the hunting garb in a hog house overnight.

11. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I like Vanilla Killa made by Dan Fitzgerald, allways had good luck with it, or I use real vanilla.

12. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    why vannilla, david i gotta ask.....?

13. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I think it smells like white oak acorns, to a deer. I've killed a lot of deer usein it. If you put corn on the ground, next time make two piles, deer will eat the pile wiyh vanila first, most of the time.