Cousins first ever flathead catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rockbass, Oct 9, 2006.

1. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My cousin fished with me for my catfish tourney on Sept 30th. He never caught a flathead before, so he was excited to go out. I set him up with 2 rods and bait. The night was slow. My dad caught 2 flatties, but only small ones(11, 8) Also one small channel cat. My cousin joked and said he was going to catch their granddad, and a little while later, his rod went down. the fight was on. He was freaking out said he thought it was a good one. I helped adjust the drag as he was fighting the fish. He never caught anything with any size to it before, so I did not know if it was big or just bigger than it looked like it would be because he is new to flatties. He fought it for quite some time, and said he thought it was a good one, then handed me the rod so I could feel it. I knew it was nice, but didn't really say a whole lot. He offered to let me fight it in because he was scared he was going to break the rod or the line. I just adjusted the drag and said go ahead. the fight went on and on. I got to the waters edge(steep bank) and saw the fish with my flashlight, I knew it was big but I didn't say anything. I told him to take his time and let the fish get tired............soon I got the fish in the net, and held it at the waters edge. I turned to look at him and said you aren't gonna believe this thing. I picked it up by the mouth and he was shocked. I climbed up the bank and he could not believe the fish. Got it wieghed......38 lbs. less than 40 inches long. This thing was a keg. His first time actually fishing for flatties, his first flathead catch ever, and bam a 38 pounder. He was shaking and couldn't stop smiling. He kept on thanking me for the help and all that. That one fish absolutely made my day/month/year. I caught a few 30 lb fish this year, and quite a few in the 20's, but this one fish was the best one this year by far! He is hooked on flattie fishing for life now. He is just waiting for next year so he can go flattie fishing with me some more. I have had the honor to be able to get 5 people on their first flatheads in the last 2 years. I don't care that I got the bait, I don't care if they use my rods or not. It never gets old. My dad got his personal best this year with a 32 lber, then my cousin with a 38 lb first ever. This has got to be one of the best years for flattie fishing for me since I got into it a few years ago. Ok I will stop going on now, thanks for letting me share!:big_smile: Oh yeah, can't say where we got the fish, just because:lol:

2. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats ,sounds like you guys had a great night.

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Another Victim of the Wrath Of the Flathead Catfish LOL

Wtg thanks for sharing your story.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Tell him congrats on the catch.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    that was a great story thanks for sharing

6. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    WOW, that was a awesome story !! What a fish !! Did you get any pictures ??? Id love to see a fish that size from the Tuscarawas River.

7. greasemonkey07

greasemonkey07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks again Rocky, can't wait till next year!

8. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No prob! Hopefully we both can break our personal bests next year!

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That sounds like a blast. Leave it to the beginner!

10. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    awsome story and great catch.thanks for sharing.