Cousin Karl does it again

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    B.O.C. member shine (Karl Emerson) was telling me yesterday about some fellows that went back in the flats of a shallow creek the night before and caught themselves a couple of trophy Flatheads. For the next four hours that was all he could talk about and I could tell he had buck fever for a flattie, for sure. Well, he got up around 3 AM and headed for some flats that we had discussed and got set up for the big one. The first fish wrapped his line around a stump and he broke it off. The next one made a good run and spit the bait out. Then the big one hit, crossing several lines and creating problems for Karl. But he persevered and got it to the boat and netted it. It came out of less than five feet of water. The magic bait was a live three finger size blue gill.

It took Karl awhile to revive this catfish, but he accomplished the feat and off it swam. Oh yes, the fish weighed 46.3 pounds less the weigh of the industrial type grip that Karl used to hold the fish.

2. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    nice flatty was that on norman thanks for the post :big_smile::big_smile:

3. catfishhunter09

catfishhunter09 New Member

State:
    kansas
    man how many pounds you got in that bad boy

4. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Nice fish, Congrats on the release. :big_smile:

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    See Mac, I knew you were hiding those big flatheads from me:wink: That is a heck of a nice fish there man. Looks like you may be getting up at 3am to chase some flatheads yourself.....at least I would!!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Mac for the report. Congrats to Karl for the nice Flathead. Enjoyed the pics.

7. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    good going to my bait man if he doe not get a job soon the lake will be fished out :smile2::smile2::smile2::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::roll_eyes::tounge_out:

8. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Another photo of Karl's Flathead.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Tell Karl congrats on one HECK OF A FISH!!
    I gotta take ya'll to school on photographing flatheads. :angry:

You have to photograph them from the top, NOT THE SIDE!! They look some much smaller than they are when you photograph them sideways like a blue. Hold them straight up and down so you see the top of their head and both eyes and they look HUGE!!!

NICE JOB KARL!!

10. Bowyer

Bowyer New Member

State:
    NC
    Great fish Karl. Congratulations. It’s good to see someone who has put a lot of time and effort into something get rewarded for it.