Courtesy dock fishermen

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by farmer, Apr 23, 2008.

1. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Well most of you have probably seen it. You get to the boat ramp and there they are courtesy dock fishermen. It clearly states no fishing but there they are anyway. It drives me crazy. You cant dock your boat because they have all there junk spread out over the whole dock. Its like they think they own the dock and they don't care if your there or not. They just expect you to be able to dock with all there fishing lines surrounding it.

I just needed to vent a little. Had a bad experience yesterday. I know I'm not alone in this. So what do you all do in this situation? And to all you courtesy dock fishermen out there show a little courtesy and don't fish there.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    brother. i guess it helps being 300lbs and long hair and tattoos but this a$$h*() here comes in at no wake. thats plenty of time for them to reel in. if not i run right smack over there lines and smack the dock. rope up and load without the slightest thought of them being there. and i dont fish docks for that reason. just like i dont set up a lemonade stand in the middle of a 4 lane highway. those docks are there for boat traffic. and i make it known when they dont reel in.

on the other hand if i see a fella reeling in as come in i idle in and say hi ask if hes having any luck and give him my leftover shad to use. be respectful to me or you get same back. i aint nice to a$$es and idiots. but to kind folk. ill do my best to lean over for ya.

ive never had one with crap on the whole dock but if it happens ill be sure to kick most in as i walk by. as i said. for the non reelers. i dont have a problem with a fella fishing. but they should yeild to boats.

3. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    If they try to get out of my way I'm ok with that. But yesterday I come in boats all over trying to load and unload. You had to wait in line all the while five people sat there fishing on the dock. So there was only room for one boat. I just had my dad pull up to the bank and I jumped out. The whole time those people just sat there like there was no problem at all. Man I hate dumb people. I just ask they show a little respect.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    if ide been there yould have been imbarressed. i would have went along scooping up every line out and went back to end of dock bumped into it and just started stepping on poles and gear as i walked to the steps.

first one that would have said a word ide been calling the dnr to sign a complaint. never that bad here. :eek:oooh:

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Jeremy put it best." NO PRISONERS"[/B The ills of thier ways must be brought to thier attention in a way that it seems they can only understand.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've been known to fish these docks here and there. Late at night fishing or throwing a net is all I do.

Fishing when boats are everywhere is just plain ignorant. I sure get out of the way with no problem. All the folks I've seen at the docks have always asked me how the fish are biting and are very nice. They just wanna get out fast after a long day..I cant' blame them. Another thing I've noticed is that most fishermen that come in will offer you some of their catches and their left over bait.

People will always do it just because of the fact that most places don't have a fishing dock. I don't think its right for the state to charge me a fee to be there and not have a place to fish. Bad enough I cant afford a boat and then to be told that docks are only for the boats.....just kick me in the teeth while your at it. And don't forget that a lot of lakes have private surrounding land on it. We bank fishers gotta do what we gotta do to fish. But its the law and I certainly yield to the boaters...its not their fault that I don't have a boat.

You can run lines over all you want but one day you might get more than you bargained for. I also ask boaters to be tolerant to bank guys as well. They wanna fish just as bad as you folks do but the limitations are very frustrating. In a nut-shell...both sides should respect each other ; )

-Jim-

7. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I also fish the boat dock areas from the bank yet I dont ever fish from the dock itself unless its a 1 pole carping or bass fishing thing.I reel in when I see someone circling so to speak.

Most of the places I go have alot of shoreline fishing in the same stretch as the docks and Jeremy I am glad to know that at least 1 boater obeys the no-wake zones because they sure as heck dont do it here.Most fisherman here act with respect to others and the boaters but on the flipside most of the boaters here are arrogant elitists who think they own the river,the water and every inch of land within 5 miles of the dock.

I do know that 20lb Trilene XT changed 1 of those guys for the best.

I had just respooled with 220 some yards of new line and was fishing with 2-3 friends about 50 yrds up river from the dock area when this guy in a deepV with a small motor maybe 40 horse.Came running up the river about 10 ft from the bank.We all yelled at him to move out cause as he obviously couldnt see that we are fishing.Well he give me the finger and proceded to do this 4-5 times.Well upon his last run my clicker went wild so I just held on to the rod while he continued to spool me.Well he didnt make it another 20 feet when I heard a 3 ounce no roll and a whole shad smack the transom at the same time my line popped loose from the reel.

It was definitely one of the Priceless moments Mastercard talks about.

Unless your a complete idiot you would love boating in my nick of the woods everyone trys to accomidate each other.

8. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`m with Jeremy on this one, a person`s actions will dictate my reaction. If you want to act like an idiot You`ll get treated like one.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I don't fish off docks because i'm in a boat. In Missouri there are several fishing piers for handicapped. I have a book listing them from the DNR.
    I won't blow someone off the bank, the same as i won't run close to another boat. Alot of people fish off the bank, either by choice or not having a boat. If i'm trying to load the boat at a ramp, I use the dock and if my wheelwash happens to create a disturbance when i'm putting it on trailor, oh well.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I rekon I'd be one of "Those " Courtesy dock fishermen. We have Six on our lake and I aint ever seen anybody use them for anything except fishing after dark. I dont fish this lake between 9 am and dusk because the crazy tourists are jetting an raisin so much hell with thier loud boats.

11. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Its fine if ya show a little respect. I have now problem with that. These people were fishing on this dock during a very busy time of the day. There was two other fishing docks in the same cove within 100 yds of each other. There was only one other fishermen on those docks. There was plenty of room there. I just don't understand why they were fishing this dock. Just plain stupid. Thanks for the input guys.

12. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Its wonderful that you have been built a nice big platform to dock at but wouldnt a steel walkway with cleats been a better use of the money allocated. Then maybe the people without boats could have a place to fish also. And I'd have to say more than one occasion I' ve been setup by a brushpile and some guy in a boat would come roaring through blind to me fishing for crappie. Courtesy is a two way street.

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i didnt have a boat up until last year, but i still never fish from the dock, just cause it seems like there could be better places. like off a point, at a dam, the back of a cove, or a feeder creek.