course in west va. aims to teach tradition of hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Big Country01, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    this is a article from the tampa tribune written by vicki smith
    some may like it some may not, i found it intresting...

morgantown w.va.
    animal rights activist heidi prescott standsbefore a room full of hunters,baiting them with questions that convey the humane society's position on their favorite pastime
    it is josh lavelle, an 18-year old freshman from elizabeth,pa. who bites first.
    "are you saying hunters do not help wildlife?"asked lavelle,a forestry major at w.va. university who first argues the hunters' standby,overpopulation."if hunters don't kill them, they're going to get by a car."
    it's the kind of debate john edwards likes to hear in the tradition of hunting, a three credit course he says is one of a few nation wide.
    edwards and james anderson,assistant professors of wildlife and fisheries resources, won a $34,000 grant to design the course,drawing 90 students last fall.this semester 62 people enrolled,two of them women.
    amy morgan,25 said she has been around hunting all her life but had no interest in the sport. that has changed.
    "taking this class has also helped me in sortof bonding with my dad,"said the aspiring wildlife manager."its slightly changed my view. now i want to go. i want to check it out."
    this is not a how to hunt class.seminar topics include the evolution of hunting in society,its rolein wildlife management,traditions,ethics,animal rights,gun control and economic impact.
    trere is plenty of pratical information,such as when guest lecturer brett kenney discussed the nutritional value of venison,proper field dressing and butchering.
    nearly every one in the class is an experienced hunter.
    "when we talk about controversial issues,we have to play the devils advocate,"he said." and when we have the nra here, it's like preaching to the choir.you cant have student discussionswhen you don't have two sides."
    that's why why he invites speackers like prescott,senior vice president of campaigns for the washington based humane society of the united states.
    the numbers of licensed hunters in the u.s. had been on a declined. however, oct.'s figures from the fish and wildlife service show the number of licensed hunters rose slightly in 2004, from 14.74 million to 14.78 million,or about 5 percent of the u.s. population.
    edwards sad west va. has done a better job than many states of cultivating a new generation of hunters.
    prescott finds such recruitment troubling;she prefers to see numbers falling.
    student,john sagle,23 of richmond,va.tried to convince her that hunters aren't cruel.
    "you can mourn the death of a deer, but you have use for it,"he said.
    prescott helps run campaigns against new hunting laws, animal baiting and "canned" hunts where the prey has no hope of escape. she said ethical hunters consider canned hunts unsportsmanlike and a flaw in their collestive public image, so a few are starting to collaborate with animal rights groups.
    she asked the students whether they would consider working with her.
    "it's possible," lavalle said. "any groups can agree on some common ground."

just thought some of ya's might find this intresting...

2. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    John, I like that article. You'd probably be interested in knowing that the local schools also require middle school students to take a hunter safety course for credits. ;)

3. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    that' a great idea,all schools should have that and you might not have so many gun accidents at home or in the woods from not knowing about gun safety....