Couple questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by catfishinboya, Jul 7, 2007.

1. catfishinboya

catfishinboya New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey guys im new here but not really new to catfishing... i seem to get some good bites on chicken livers and on hot dogs but i cant get the livers to stay on... also i have tried rice baits but i cannot get them to stick together... any help would be great thanks guys! oh and hank parkers coming to do his tourney in denver nc right outside of charlotte if you want to check that out.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Adam Welcome to the BOC.:0a25::0a17:

3. chicken man

chicken man New Member

State:
    mo
    Curing them with salt will help toughen them up, not sure how this is done but if you look around in here I know it has been posted before. Since I normally catch and release, I have only been using straight hooks, so you can't cast as hard as I want to to get out in some deeper water. When I use to use treble hooks I would take the hook off and run the meaty part of the liver down the shaft, then put the hook back on. It gives you a little more stay power. Someone will point you in the right direction to the previous post on curing livers I bet ya.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...hank parkers coming to do his tourney in denver nc..."

Hank does a catfish tournament? :smile2: I thought he fished for cut bait?

Boya I would move to the cut baits like bream, crappie, perch, bass, etc. They are easier to cast, stay on the hook longer, and are more widely accepted as food for the bigger fish. Liver is always good, but it has its own set of issues. Most of the pack baits are designed for lake fishing where there is no movement, wakes, boat traffic, etc.

5. catfishinboya

catfishinboya New Member

State:
    north carolina
    :smile2: thanks people that replyed im going fishing tonight and i have some cut bream im going to use and maybe some minnoes(spelling!)... thanks alot!

6. dearl

dearl Member

State:
    North Carolina

I agree with Wyliecat, Shad, cut bream, or even live bream if your looking for big Flatheads. You've heard bigger bait bigger fish, well sometimes thats true, but honestly i have fished with roe shad big as a piece of lite bread, and caught nice fish.