Couple Penn 209 Questions

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by turtle1173, Aug 28, 2006.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I posted my first question in the 'Fishing Reel' section but it likely should have been here.

1). What drag washer upgrades would you recommend? I got a "new to me" Penn 209 reel the other day and I noticed that it's drag is much more responsive than the other one I have. Is there a noticeable difference between Smoothies and Virgin Teflon drag washers? Recommendations??

2) My newest Penn 209 is missing a screw that attaches the reel stand to the reel. I took another screw off and tried to match it up at Lowe's but to no avail. Can anyone tell me what size screw this is? When I look it up, it comes up as #5-40 X .281 LG. That really doesn't tell me much, LOL.

Thanks a bunch!

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Try Sears hardware for the screw, or a local hardware store as they seam to have many more screws and misc. hardware than the super stores. I would upgrade the drag.

3. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I'd check ebay for upgrade parts.
    select reels in freshwater or salt, enter penn part in search window

4. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Ebay is where I saw the "Virgin Teflon" drag washers for the Penn 209. I didn't know if those were better or worse than the smoothies that you hear so much about.

5. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    just google Smoothie drag washers and they should be able to help. I've got 'em in my 6500 C4 and they're great.