Couple of questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Capt_Culver, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver Member

State:
    Ohio
    First off, being new to the board, what does "BOC" stand for? ALso, what is meant by the use of "thanks"? I have never seen that before on a forum. How should it be used? ( I have a feeling I am going to be thanking a lot of you)

Secondly, How do you scout? I have read several threads about "scouting" your area. This seems odd to me as a duck and deer hunter. When I hear the term 'scout', it usually means getting some windshield time in looking for birds or good bucks in your area and learning their pattern. How do you scout something you can't see? What are the types of things you look for in a river system? Do you look for eddys, timber, current speeds, water depth..etc etc? (Maybe all of the above) And what exactly are you looking for with respect to the above? I mean, what type of depth are you looking for. Obviously, each river is different. Do you want the deepest holes etc. Any help with this would be great.

Thirdly, what is the best time for flatheads? Not only time of day, but also time of year? Are they more agggressive and more apt to feed during one particular time of year than other times? I saw some posts about people fishing in Oct and Nov when it is 30 degrees out. When do they spawn? And does that affect the bite? When we are up on the lake going after Walleye, the spawn is one of the easiest times to catch the young jacks, but the big females will rarley hit.

As you can see, I am just full of question. Anything you want to offer up will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

2. greatthosu

greatthosu New Member

State:
    AZ.
    BOC. = Brotherhood Of CATFISHING.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC brother.

The BOC has already been answered for you.

Scouting your area means maping it out or looking for fallen trees, holes, feeding creeks and things like that. Anything that could make a hole become a honey hole.

Thanks are used just to say thanks. If you have learned something, or appreciate what someone is saying. Feel free to hit that button.

I have found Flathead hunting is best at night. Fish close to bank or under some fallen trees.

Hope this helps, lol.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    The thanks is for if you think someone gave some good answer or you just want to thank them.

If you see to the left of the "Thanks" you will see "rep" That is for the reputation points that you will see on the right side of the screen. The higher the number the more reputation that person has.

On the upper left hand on the screen you will see user CP click on that and you will see who gave you reps like the ones I just gave you :wink:

5. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gary, you are in Blacklick??? Small world man. That's where I am too.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Josh, I live in the developement behind Meijers on Broad. Its Blacklick but really the ouskirts of Reynoldsburg

7. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver Member

State:
    Ohio
    LMAO! That is EXACTLY where I am. I live in the condo's.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thats way too funny guys lol.

To answer some of those Q's.
    Spring pre-spawn and the early to mid fall are best for numbers and larger fish. Pre-spawn is from mid april to mid june depending on the weather, the water needs to get to 55 degrees before they start moving around good. They come out of their wintering holes hungry and searching for spawning habitat. The fall is good because they know winter is coming and they feed heavy. this starts when the water gets below 65 or so and lasts down to the high 40's. The last 30+ I caught last year was in 47 degree water. later in oct and nov you can switch to fishing in the daytime. Late afternoon til a couple hours after dark.

Scouting is the same as for deer or turkeys, you have to find where they bed and feed lol. It involves alot of time on the water though since you can't see your quarry or his "fin prints". After awhile fishing different areas and structures,bottom types,current speeds,depths,times of year .....etc you will be able to run through any section and pic out places similar to places you have had success in the past. So its a combination of experience and knowledge.

9. todzla

todzla New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great questions Josh! Thanks to everyone for the answers! Gary, I live just behind Target literally seconds away from Josh.

Small world indeed. :wink:

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dunno if you read it from one of my posts or not? but i fish as late as i can in the year. sometimes up to christmas. this all depends on the weather of course. late oct. and the month of nov. are some of the best months to catch numbers of fish. like skip said, when the water temps. start falling this triggers these fish to feed. i have some homework and know a couple places that are "wintering hole" places where these fish will start to congregate for the cold months. not all holes are wintering holes, and some are better than others. you have to just do some weeding through. my fav. temp. is around 55degrees in late fall. down to around 48. seems like once temps drop much below that they get hard to catch. smaller baits work well this time of year, such as warmouth, and creek chubs. they aren't as aggressive and often run and drop baits on short distances. be patient they usually come back to eat!!! hope this helps...welcome to the boc.....rollo

11. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    i am in groveport, ha very close to blacklick. i was just wondering if u know if blacklick creek or big walnut creek are any good for some decent size cats? if they r id like to know some locations if you're willing to give them out :-]

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    welcome justin, there will be someone here to answer your q shortly...rollo

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Blacklick and Walnut are good for Carp from the last that Ive fished them. I used to live real close to walnut creek and fished often with my Dad and he would catch Carp alot. This was before I really fished for anything in particular but I usually caught carp and cats there but nothing very big. I usually fish Dillon or Buckeye.

14. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    josh,whatever you do,stay....away.....from.....gary

he is bad luck.and if you go with him,he will force you to use hot dogs for bait....:roll_eyes: