Couple of good books

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pacman, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If the weather is too nasty to get out, you might like these books.

"Channel Catfish Fever" by Doug Stange, Steve Quinn & Toad Smith
    (with a name like "Toad", I'll listen!)

"Fishing for Catfish" by The Freshwater Angler
    (With the slick photography, I figured it would be fiction by some fly-tying snob, but the book has solid info.)

I got my copies used on Ebay. Search books for "catfish -hunter"

2. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I got my son a book call Catching Catfish at Bass Pro last xmas.For a 10 yearold he has worn it out reading it.(wish I could say the same about school books lol)

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I've read the catching catfish...and I want to read Mr. Stange's book. I love his writing style.

Another good choice is Patrick Mcmanus...the outdoor life humor guy. Cant go wrong with any of his stuff...old or new. (But particularly the old stuff)

There's some real characters in his stories...hell make you Lol.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I HAVE A OLD BOOK CALLED CATFISHING STRATEGIES,IT IS PUT OUT BY THE NORTHAMERICAN FISHING CLUB.IT IS VERY INFORMATIVE BUT OLDER.I AM GONNA HAVE TO SEE BOUT THE ONES YOU FELLAS ARE TALKING BOUT I LIKE TO READ WHEN I CAN FIND TIME.

5. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Thanks for the heads up.:cool2:

J

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Stange's book is my bible.

The video, Catfish Fever, is sort of a companion piece to the book, and is excellent.

Good stuff for a winter day.

7. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Brian---McManus has started writing murder mysteries. I just started one and it looks like it will be a good read.

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Wow...you're kidding??

If you don't mind I have a few questions...

Is it a suspense type thing...or is it a humorous spoof type story?

I can't picture McManus writing anything but comedy sattire...lol. (He's SO good at it!!)

What is the title??

I'm going to Books a Million tomorrow to get another civil war book since I just finished "Quantrills Confederate Raiders"...which by the way is a GREAT read. (Even though it does start out kinda slow...it finishes well)

I might have to pick up PM's book if they have it instead.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For those of you who aren't already familiar with Robert Ruark, you might enjoy some of the novels he wrote. If you don't love "The Old Man and the Boy", you just don't like the outdoors. Here's a link to his biography, a list of his books, and an excerpt from "The Old Man and the Boy". Incidentally, that book was first written as a series of short stories in Field & Stream, back in the 1950s, and collected into a book in 1957...it's never been out of print since then. Very few books can boast a continuous printing history that long.

http://www.ncwriters.org/services/lhof/inductees/rruark.htm

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Good call, Jerry.

I first read Ruark in the early 60's, and still do. The writing is timeless...no small feat.

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I also enjoy Doug Stange's Catfish Fever book and related videos. I also like Ted Ellenbecker's River Cats and Lake Cats. Good Stuff!!!

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas

Ruark...Carmichaeal...Gene Hill...can't go wrong there. Reminds me of when I was a kid in the mid 70's...down in our basement reading dads and grandpas old copies of sports afield and field and stream.

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Brian-- I just got started, but so far it is a real mystery, but stocked with the kind of characters that Mcmanus is famous for. I'll give you the official review later.

14. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    A few years back I bought John Wilson's Fishing Encyclopedia. It was not what I thought I was buying.

First of all it is British (English and American are two different languages). Fortunatly it is heavily illustrated. It showed many ways of presenting bait to highly pressured fish.

While I got many good fishing tips, the main thing I learned was ; how good us US fisherman have it! In England virtually all shoreline is private, and you have to rent or lease a spot. Pollution etc. have eliminated many of the game fish, leaving carp and other rough fish as the main target. Catch and release is not an option, over there, it is a religion. Many of the big carp have been caught so many times that they have names. Killing one of them could get you lynched.

That could happen here if we take our great resources for granted!!

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Catfish Fever is by far the best Catfishing book I have ever read. I bought it one winter and read it over and over lol. The following year I went out for my first Flathead trip. I had scouted up and down the roads along the river all winter and picked a spot to try. Back then I though cats would only hit in the summer so I waited till june to go LOL. Well that first trip with the correct baits and location I caught my first ever flats 4 or 5 of them and one big channel, all on live gills. They were all under 5 pounds but that didn't matter. I had always wanted to catch one and didn't know how till I read that book. I would reccomend it to anyone, as a 10. The In-Fisherman guys have put out 3 more catfish books in the last few years, with another coming out in 08. I have them all and give them a thumbs -up too. With what you learn on here and can ask about, and all you can learn from Doug, if you don't catch catfish after all that you should just give up and go into real estate, or politics.