Couple ? for bobpaul or bubbacat

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bigfish, May 3, 2006.

1. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i know my motor is to low, but will it cause the wake to come up from under the boat like a water sprinkler 3 foot high starting right at the transom and out about 4, before it finaly smooths out into a v. or is there something else wrong. the second ? is do i have to build a jack plate that will set the motor back also or can i build one and bolt it right against the transom.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It will be set back just a little but I would just build it so it will be higher.

The splash you are getting is the anticavation plate trying to rise up out of the water The rule of thumb is that for every six inches of set back is 1 inch rise of the plate. I would try to get it about 1 to 1 1/2 inches above the keel.

3. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks for a quick response bubbakat. i was going to put 3 pieses of 3/4 inch plywood together like bobpaul did, but since i cant come up with any 3 inch alluminum angle i was going to make it 15 inches wide and around 20 inches high and bolt this to the back of the boat. 20 inches will give me the 4 inches hight i need to get the cav plate even with the bottom of the boat and still give me 16 inches flat against the back of the boat. it will be aprox 2 inches thick. will this be strong enough, or do i still need some kind of metal strips down both sides for extra strenght.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Do the boards that way but to add strength to keep it from twisting then get some angle iron to go down the sides. I was like you and couldn't get any aluminum so I did the ply wood deal and then used some erector angle I got at the local hardware store. Now keep in mind mine is a 5 h/p that I was raising.

5. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    first before i forget again congrats on your name on there with bobpaul, you guys are great.:0a31: . now yes im raising a 20 hp. thats why i was thinking of using some 1/8 inch steel angle down the sides.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I don't see why that wouldn't work jim One thing that will strenghten that wood is criss cross the grain in the ply and it makes it twice as strong.

Thanks for the kind words.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Use plenty of glue between the layers. Don't use pressure treated plywood. And use good clamps with as much pressure as you can to laminate the pieces.

Be absolutely sure your boat transom is in good shape, to handle this add on.

8. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    yea bobpaul i have regular 3/4 inch ply. my transom is in good shape, but what extra ad on our you talking about. cause i dont believe the plate im building should weight over about 10 maybe 15 pounds.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's not the weight, but the leverage against the transom. If your transom wood is in good shape, you should have no worries.

10. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i realy hate to keep bothering you two about this, but now i am realy confused. the back of my boat is 16 inches tall. its 18 inches from the top of the transom to the top of the cav plate. if i build a plate to raise my motor 2 inches, the motor clamps will still be low enough to clamp against the old transom. please explain to me what im supposed to do.

Attached Files:

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Forget the full plate, just block up your engine with a piece of wood cut 2" high and the thickness of your transom, by slightly wider than your engine mount. Let it rest on your transom to raise the engine.

Clamp to the boat transom and through bolt the engine at the bottom of the mount. I've done several like that.

12. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks bobpaul, didnt know i could do that. i guess i can take the $70 worth of stuff back to lowes. just so i get it straight the first plate up from the prop is the cav plate right, not the second one. and i am dealing with a long shaft arent i. but what is up with my boat, i thought they were only supposed to be around 15 inches deep. once again thanks for all the help. this is the last thing i have to do to get it water ready. except next year i might do some painting on the outside.:0a31:

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Your right on the cav plate and shaft length is usually 15" for a short, 20" for long, and 25" for extra long, then you get some that are even longer for sail boat application.

Some engines are exact and some fall close to those measurements, same as boats do.

14. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    well other than water poofing the wood and drilling the holes i think this is what you were talking about doing bobpaul. feels pretty stable when i shake it, it moves the trailer and all. so i think it will be fine. now what was that stuff you all say to use in the bolt holes to seal them?

Attached Files:

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    3M 5200 jim. You can get a tube at wally-word in the boating sports section.

16. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks bubbakat i read it somewhere but couldnt remember. so i guess everything looked good to you in the pics.

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    yep:smile2: :cool2: good to go

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yup, it looks just right.

19. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks bobpaul and bubbakat that was the last thing other than some trailor adjustments, and then it will be ready for 06 fishing season.:0a31:

20. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    well i quick update. put the 2 inch jack block under my motor and bolted it down. it is running great. it will plain out get it with me and ducain in it. thanks for all the help.:0a31: