Couple eagle flicks

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfish kenny, Jan 14, 2009.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wehave one of the largest consentrations of eagles in the U.S. here & I got a couple flicks I thought would be cool to share with ya all.10 yrs ago you'd been lucky to see a couple here now there are hundred or more these birds are AWSOME to watch and if you have never seen em up close and personal there are no words to describe there majesty & bueatey....they are the symbol ofour country and take yer breath away.

Attached Files:

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Your right on there Bro, last week we fished the Sippy and well nothing far as cat, but the Eagles were play'n and it sure was great to just watch them feed and set along the bank and watch us back, LOL. Very cool Birds for sure..

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
  4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Couple more.....

Attached Files:

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Here ya go Kenny, here are a couple shots ya don't see every day, came off a trail cam last season that was set up over a deer carcass...... I think the 2nd is a Golden but not sure? Oh yea, nevever minid the date, didn't reset them after new batteries were put in but any way......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ive got a few in my album too wish I had a better camera I could get some wild shots they just dont like to pose fer ya (LOL)..I call it Eagle hunting tryin to get a good shot with the camera(LOL):smile2:Thanks fer sharin and anyone that has any man post em....these are by far my faverote birds..... I like em we go watch em all the time in the winter it gets rid of some of the wanting warm weather blues(LOL):wink::cool2:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice pics guys. Eagles are one of my Favs too,I allways see a bunch in OK,when we go fishin in the fall. There are a few here,But I never have my camera when I see em:sad2::smile2:

8. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Fantastic pictures, Kenny and Randy. Thanks so much for showin them here.

Coolest thing I ever, ever saw was up in Northern Michigan, over a small lake... a big eagle, givin flight lessons to a youngster. At least that's what it looked like. They'd soar and bob and weave... not for too long, tho, and it was like the lil one needed to rest... then pretty soon they'd be at it again.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

Neat pictures and yep I'd say the sec pic is a Golden.Don't see a lot of them around,The 3rd pic ,that Eagle is looking at that blackbird like it's saying (saying away from my supper).

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Here's a couple for ya Kenny of one coming into a boat dock.Thought this was rather neat.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice shots John-We have eagle dayz here once a yr and the dnr puts on a edecation deal-did ya know there are southern eagles and northern ? the northern birds are larger ....a bald eagle is 5 yrs old befor its head turns white.......THEY ARE AWSOME

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

Our Eagle Days are in Clarksville this coming weekend.Sat and Sun.But hey this time of year you don't need no Eagle Days.There everywhere. love watching them and wishing I was as good a fisherman:roll_eyes:

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I really enjoy watching them. They have really made a come back here on the reservoir and LOZ. You can now see them year around along with seeing many nest sites along both lakes. One nest site I watched for several years in a big sicamore along the lake the tree fell in a storm from the weight of the nest. There nest after many years of use can weigh up to one or two tons. They did make a new nest in the same area the next year. We have a eagle day at the visitor center in Jan. The Osprey has recently made a come back also here and they are something to see as they snatch a fish from the water. Heres a little bit about the eagles nesting history in Mo. The info is out dated but intresting to read.

NESTING EAGLES IN MISSOURI
    Early settlers have recorded frequent sightings of nesting eagles in early 19th century Missouri. However, nesting eagles were basically non-existent in the state by 1890. Missouri remained free of nesting eagles until 1982 with the success of a nest near Bucksaw on Truman Reservoir. Unfortunately, the eaglet that hatched in this nest was abandoned at 9 weeks of age; but the good news is that the eaglet was raised and later released by the Missouri Department of Conservation.

Corps of Engineers personnel learned of another eagle release success story in 2000 with the discovery of a purple-banded nesting eagle in Hogle’s Creek on Truman Lake. Data confirmed that this female eagle hatched in March of 1996, was banded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in May, and fledged in June at Clinton Lake, Kansas. Coincidentally, the parents of this eagle established the first documented eagle nesting territory in the state of Kansas.

EAGLES ON TRUMAN LAKE AND ITS TRIBUTARIES
    Missouri leads all other states in the lower 48 in numbers of reported eagles. The birds are attracted to the state because of its big streams, large wildlife refuges, and numerous lakes, which provide critical nesting habitat. Since 1982, 91 known eaglets have been fledged on Truman Lake alone. In general, the number of nests, as well as the number of eaglets fledged, increases each year. In 2000, 15 eaglets were produced from 7 nests on Truman, and an additional 5 nests were either abandoned prior to completion of egg incubation or inactive.

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Spoon thank you fer the good read-I cant rep ya or I would.Its amazing the great come back of these birds ....They fish better then me that fer sure(LOL):smile2: This yr maybe its me but I am noticing alot more Juviniles roun then in the last couple watchin them ...& thats a good thing ......If I recal right there off the endangered list now too but threatened.

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Yep your right they took them off the endangered list.Personally that's one of the DUMBEST thing they did.Should of left them on it. After all they are our national Symbol

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Been noticing that too Kenny, seeing an awful lot of yougns way more than any other time I know that....... We had a nesting pair over here on the power plant lake this past year and the rare thing with this nesting was there were 3 eaglets in nest and stayed, normally the biggest female in the nest will shove the others out so she is the only one, they said they thought that all 3 were either male or that any female was small, any way, myself and my 9 yr old daughter spent many evenings in the boat watching mom and pop teach them the deal, flying and diving, all that was like watching Nat-Geo every evening only better, LOL. I can tell ya this much the 1st swoop to the water was a major miscalculation for one as it crash landed in the drink, daughter freaked out started yelling to go get him Dad he's gonna drown, (I actually didn't know what to do for a bit) but after getting its bearings back (I guess) it got up off the water and went directly to the nest. was definitely something she will not forget, that I do know, talked about it for weeks, LOL.

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing the Eagle Pics with us. Enjoyed.

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Funny thing picked up the paper and this weekend is the big eagle appreciation dayz round here were gonna try to take the kids to the DNR's education in the mall Sat I want to go again its awsome-Couple years ago they had a huge owl-buzzard -eagle.... it was very informative and interesting...If any you all ever get a chance to attend something like this I guarentee ya wont be dissapionted...I will have to take the camerea and post em up here if we go.

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Randy that was a rare treat- a true blessing to get to see all thet up close and personal like that..... I could dig that!:roll_eyes:

20. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    http://www.worldbirdsanctuary.org

Kenny I'll tell ya what, if you ever find yourself heading down to the St. Louis area, you will no doubt want to take a day and check out the World Bird Sanctuary, this place is truly awesome myself and little girl have been going to one of the many free 1 day workshops they hold through the year, and they have some sweet birds that you get to be reel up close and personal with. I know you would enjoy the place with no doubt.